Winter Guard Infantry
|We have 1213 articles and 91% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Crucible Guard Assault Troopers (one year review)||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc (one year review)||Cinerators CA (one year review)||Exemplar Warder (one year review)|
The Winter Guard make up the majority of the Khadoran military and are found at the core of every garrison and combat force. Their weaponry is practical and places little strain on the Khadoran treasury when produced in bulk. Their short‑ranged blunderbusses fire a heavy slug that packs a powerful punch, particularly when these infantry concentrate their fire.
Any soldier brave enough to place the colors of the Motherland before his own life is a true patriot.
Druzhina cadets drill day and night, undergoing intense exercises designed to prepare young officers to push their units beyond their known limits.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Winter Guard Infantry
- 3 Other
|Winter Guard Infantry|
- Leader, Grunts, Officer, & Standard
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- Officer only
- The Officer has +1 MAT, +1 RAT & 5 hitboxes.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Reposition [3"] - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Reposition [3"]. (Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.)
- Grapeshot (Minifeat) - This model can use Grapeshot once per game at any time during its activation. This activation, models in the unit with a Blunderbuss lose CRA and gain Gunfighter. The Blunderbuss becomes Spray 6" instead of Range 8".
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While this model is within 5" of the unit commander, the unit commander gains +2 CMD.
- Take Up - If this model is destroyed, you can choose a Grunt in this unit within 1" of it to be destroyed instead. Effects on this model expire, and it gains the effects on the chosen Grunt. Remove the Grunt from the table instead of this model. This model has the same number of unmarked damage boxes as the chosen Grunt.
Leader, Grunts, Officer, & Standard
- Blunderbuss - 8" range, POW 12 ranged attack
- Axe - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee attack
- Rocket - 14" range, 3" AOE, POW 12 ranged attack
- Brutal Damage - On a direct hit, gain an additional die on this weapon's damage rolls against the target directly hit.
- Axe - As above.
No changes since 2017.01
Thoughts on Winter Guard Infantry
Winter Guard Infantry in a nutshell
WGI are your cheapest infantry out there, with an overall poor quality on individual models. Alas, "quantity IS quality" and certainly you can bring them onto the board in quite large numbers. You can field a max unit of them with 15 bodies for the price of a full cavalry unit. Or, you may have as many small units as you need to either spam rockets all day, or proc the free Advance movement for your jacks in the Winter Guard Command theme force. Their axe can handle other light-medium infantry in a fight, but they'll bounce off anything heavier. CRA is always a good trick to have to pose a threat to heavy armor and models who rely on a high DEF.
Thoughts on adding the CA
The Grapeshot is very useful in certain situations - especially when fighting knocked-down or stationary units. Reposition is good for moving out of cover, shooting your Blunderbusses, then moving back out of LOS. They can also open up firing lanes for your Rockets (since they lack Arcing Fire) and move back in position to cover them. Alternatively this ability is great for just marching your Winter Guard up the battlefield. Combines nicely with Sorscha2's Desperate Pace to get some incredibly mobile guard.
Thoughts on adding the WA
Rocketeers add crucial damage potential to the unit, especially when run with a warcaster that can improve their ability to directly hit. They are also ideal to threat the enemy's squishy stealthy units with blast damage, until the lines will clash. Keep in mind that they lack Take Up; position them so that stray electro-leaps, blasts, lightnings, or secondary damages (Ashes to Ashes, Spine Burst, Trick Shot, etc) can't get them easily.
Combos & Synergies
- They want buffs. Especially from their solo, Kovnik Joe.
- They've got a theme force dedicated just to them: Winter Guard Kommand.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Big things will ignore pretty much anything except their rockets (and occasional CRA from their Blunderbusses).
- They die like flies, as given for being the cheapest 10 men unit in Khador (yes even cheaper than Kossite Woodsmen!)
Tricks and Tips
- Since they're dirt cheap, they can be good for a filler unit.
- Keep in mind that Rocketeers lacks combined attack
- The unit (not including UA or WA) was released in Warmachine: Prime mk1 (2003)
- The UA and WA were released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
Other Khador models
Note to Editors