Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire
|As of 2022.08 Warmachine University has turned into an archive for Mk3 rules (3rd Edition).|
Refer to the Privateer Press website for all modern Mk4 (4th Edition) related content.
This site has been kept online for any players who want to continue using Mk3 rules and/or anyone who wants to compare Mk4 Legacy models to Mk3 models.
More information can be found on the Talk:Main Page area of this wiki.
| Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire |
Mark IV Status: Limbo - This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.12. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
This wiz with a wrench has a place on your bench! As good at fixing things as she is at breaking them—you can see the advantage to that—Widget will leave your opponent asking where this angel got her wings. (Answer: She crafted them out of the sorry scraps of the last scavenger to get in her way.)
Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
- Ancillary Attack (★ Action) - RNG 3. Target friendly Faction warjack. If the warjack is in range, it immediately makes one basic melee or ranged attack. A warjack can be targeted by an Ancillary Attack special action only once per turn.
- Flying High - Ranged attacks targeting this model with a RNG greater than 8" suffer –3 RNG, to a minimum of 8. Friendly models can advance through this model if they have enough movement to move completely past its base. This model loses Flying High if it loses Flight.
- 'Jack Hunter - This model gains an additional die on its melee and ranged damage rolls against warjacks.
- Mechanikally Adept - This model can target non-Faction models with Repair special actions.
- Repair [d3+2] (★ Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3+2 damage points from it.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Force Wrench - 2" reach, POW 6, P+S 11 melee attack
- Other Factions
- Convergence players can use this model in the Strange Bedfellows theme. She gains Swift Vengeance in this theme.
- Infernal players can use this model in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Crosse2 is leading the army.
- Furthermore, Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Widget
Widget in a nutshell
Widget is the game's speediest mechanic who also brings Ancillary Attack, which, unlike the Powder Monkey, will work on any Mercenary Warjack. She's also a weapon master against warjacks in a pinch with a magic weapon. Finally, Flying High means if she camps a flag, she's hard to shoot off it. You could find worse uses for 3 points in any faction she works for. She is Mechanically adept so she can repair non faction jacks, you lose out on Ancilliary Attack but she is such a great flag camper that you will rarely regret spending 3 points on her. In mercs, she only runs in Irregulars, so you can think of her as an extra attack for a flanking marshalled warjack.
Combos & Synergies
- Galleon and Blockader are the best targets for Ancillary.
- The Swabber is an excellent choice on a budget, as it lets you get in an extra cannon before the drag, an extra melee after the drag, or a second drag if you have placed an intervening model in the right spot.
- The Swabber can protect her with blast immunity, no knockdown and shield guard. Beware extra effects on AOEs such as Fire that will still affect her.
- The trick with an intervening model involves placing a small base (literally anything in Mercs, most often a Servitor in Convergence) 1" in front of the Swabber, in a line with the initial target. The Swabber can see around the friendly small base, and the 1" + small base size is greater than the 2" reach anything the Swabber drags is likely to have.
- Since her Ancillary attack has a 10" range (when she moves), you could possibly use it on a Renegade that runs close enough to a high DEF target to as to be unable to scatter the blast off it (4")
In Strange Bedfellows
- She has a really solid home in Strange Bedfellows, where she becomes the same Faction as Convergence and Cryx 'jacks (as well as Merc 'jacks mentioned above).
- She will be seen in most lists to get extra value out of hard hitting Convergence & Cryx ‘jacks. Swift Vengeance will occasionally mean she swings her wrench at something and it can hurt surprisingly well.
- When a Diffuser hits its target the whole army benefits. A 2nd shot on another target is always welcome.
- The previously mentioned Swabber is also an excellent choice, especially for the frail Mortenebra1.
- Interestingly, this is also the only theme in which Widget has a valid target for Ancillary Attack while being fielded by the Convergence.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Irregulars, Hearts of Darkness & Strange Bedfellows only. This means she has access to every Merc, Convergence, Cryx, and Cygnar ‘jack, but only with very specific casters.
- She doesn’t really do anything outside of Ancillary Attack. Put another way, there’s a reason she’s so cheap.
- Arm 11 means if something hits her she will almost certainly die.
- Ancillary Attack is a faction only ability thus she is only a mechanic in the armies she isn’t in a theme with. Remember that in Crucible Guard armies the Vanguard and the Toro are not Mercenary models as per the wording of Makers Mark.
- Additionally, there is no combination of models that allow her to even use Ancillary Attack when fielded by the Convergence outside of Strange Bedfellows.
Tricks & Tips
- Out of activation drags with Galleon or Swabbers are potentially very strong.
- Blockader sprays out of activation are also very strong.
- Bring her if you're jack marshalling to offset the fact warjacks without focus cannot buy additional attacks.
- Released 2019.07
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2020.10.
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Convergence of Cyriss (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Faction models
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)