Widget's curiosity about the mechanikal relics of the pre-blown-up world is insatiable. She loves to tinker with her own creations almost as much as she loves restoring broken pieces of tech to their former glory. There are few individuals wandering the ruins of Immoren today who can match her mathematic and engineering prowess.
Riot Quest - Although this model has rules which allow it to be played in Warmachine and Hordes, it was primarily designed for the Riot Quest boardgame. RQ is set in an alternate and/or future timeline where the Infernals won the war. Some of the RQ models are slightly more goofy than their WMH equivalents.
Mercenary - Widget, Mathlete Archeologist will work for Convergence, Crucible Guard, Cygnar, Khador, AND Protectorate.
- Partisan [ Convergence ] - When included in a Convergence army, this model/unit is a Convergence model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Archeologist - After deployment but before the first player's turn, choose a table half as this model's excavation site. Draw a line through the center of the table horizontally or vertically to choose a half. This model gains +2 to attack and damage rolls against enemy models/units completely within this model's excavation site.
- 'Jack Hunter - This model gains an additional die on its melee and ranged damage rolls against warjacks.
- Reposition [3"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 3", then its activation ends.
- Servitor Launch - When this model directly hits an enemy model with this weapon during its activation, if this model is a Convergence model, you can immediately place one servitor solo into play completely within 2" of the enemy model hit. The solo must forfeit its Combat Action the turn it is put into play.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Widget2
Widget2 in a nutshell
At minimum, Widget is a 5 pt ranged combat solo with a singular RAT 5 hand cannon shot, flight, Jack Hunter, Gunfighter and reposition, which all in all, is not that attractive in mercs where more powerful ranged solos are abundant. Only when you consider her Archeologist rule and, more importantly, her Servitor Launch rule does she start to look appealing, which eliminates her from consideration in the Irregulars theme. Archaeologist turns her into a RAT 7 POW 14 model on one table side and lets her add one free servitor solo every turn. Accordingly her value is entirely based on how long you manage to keep her alive, which is easier said than done with no defensive rules other than Repo, and tied to how good the solos are you spawn with her.
Combos & Synergies
- Aurora2 - Obviously, for the battle directives and her feat, turning her into a RAT 7 POW 16 gunner against her Archaeology targets.
- Orion - spellpiercer his feat and magic bullet all help shooting models.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- None of the themes fit her that well even as a partisan...
- In Strange Bedfellows although she can move from swift vengeance she can’t attack due to the wording of gunfighter, her servitors also do not gain swift vengeance.
- In Destruction Initiative she uses up your only mercenary slot but her servitors do gain shield guard
- In Clockwork Legions she isn’t eligible for any benefit and uses up a mercenary slot.
- Outside of CoC she can't make Servitors which is where most of her value comes from.
- The servitors she spawns have to forfeit their combat action the turn they are put into play, so no cheeky Flare shots with Attunement Servitors and no blowing up your Reflex Servitors on your own terms.
Tricks & Tips
- The best solo to summon with her is the Reflex Servitor, which she can put right next to your target so it has to eat a free strike if it wants to move, which causes it to detonate.
- You can also simply use Servitor Launch to block a charge range to something more important.
Other Faction models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification: : Partisan (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
|Which Faction am I?
- Partisans are Mercenary (or Minion) models unless they're taken in their "Home" Faction. For example, a Mercenary model that is Partisan [Cygnar]:
- When used in most armies it is "friendly Faction" only to other Mercenary models.
- When used in a Cygnar army it is "friendly Faction" to Cygnar models ... and stops being "friendly Faction" to any other Mercenaries in that Cygnar army.
- In a multi-caster game, Partisans count as the main army's Faction and not as a Mercenary models (if playing a Faction other than Mercaneries). (Infernal Ruling)
- If a Partisan unit can get a special attachment from their Partisan Faction (for instance a Soulless Escort or Trollkin Sorcerer) then they can only get that attachment when they're in the Partisan Faction. They can't take it when working as a regular Mercenary. (Locked thread)
- When taken in their Partisan Faction, they can't have a Ranking Officer attached.
- If you have a Partisan caster, you must choose whether your army is a Mercenary force or a [Partisan Faction] force. What warjacks the caster can take are then limited by your choice.
- Partisan casters can be taken in [Partisan Faction] theme forces. Refer to the main rulebook.
- Partisan casters can be fielded in multiple-caster games. (Locked thread)
See also the Category: Partisan for what happens if you mix and match Partisan casters and Merc casters in multi-caster games.
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
- Partisans are Mercenary/Minion models, so there are two ways you can add them to a theme force:
- Freely: If the Partisan is on the list of allowed models, then you can take as many as you want plus another Mercenary unit/solo. (Infernal Ruling)
- They can be explicitly allowed (for example Jaws of the Wolf allows "Kayazy models/units" so Partisan Kayayz can be used freely).
- They can be implicitly allowed (for example Scourge of the Broken Coast allows "living Cryx models/units" and Partisan Cephalyx fit that criteria, so they can be used freely). (Infernal Ruling)
- Limited: If the Partisan isn't on the list of allowed models, it does use up your "Up to one Mercenary/Minion" slot, so you can only have the one.
- Whether you used option 1 or 2 above, once they're in your theme force they count as a Faction model and so:
- They can be taken as a Requistion Option (if they fit the Requistion description).
- For example Lanyssa can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- They will get any theme benefit that they fit the description for.
- For example Storm Division gives all Cygnar models Immunity Electricity, so Partisan Mercs in that theme get immunity too.
- For example Nemo4's Mechaniks get Reposition  in Heavy Metal. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification: : Flight (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
- Flight doesn't ignore:
- Impassable terrain.
- Most hazards. The exception is they do ignore Acid Bath and Burning Earth as long as they don't land in them.
- Templates that stay in play and do damage to models moving through them (such as a Scather).
- Free strikes.
- Trampling with a flying model (Edit)
- Flight allows you to trample "over" medium- and larger-bases.
- Although you trample "over" them, you don't get to make a trample attack vs them and you don't ignore their free strikes. Refer the core rulebook.
- Unless, of course, you have an exception like Blade Rush.
- Flight on a Cavalry model (Edit)
- Although flyers can move over obstacles/models, and horses can pause to do impacts while charging, flying horses cannot make impact attacks while overlapping models/obstacles. You need to pause in a legal position.
- Charging through models (Edit)
- You can't charge all the way through your charge target, with the intention to turn around and face them once you're on the other side.
- Because you aren't able to satisfy the "must keep the charge target in melee range" clause at the point after you are through the model but before you turn to directly face. At that point the target is behind you, not in your front arc, and thus not in your melee range.
- Your melee range only extends to your front arc. Refer to the latest errata.
- You can still "skim" through the edge of their base, if you're careful and smart with your positioning.
Rules Clarification: : Gunfighter (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
- You cannot Aim if you start your activation in melee. (Infernal Confirmation)
- A free strike with a ranged weapon still gets the +2 to hit and boosted damage (I'm pretty sure - I'd like to double check it though).
- If you have a Gunfighter stuck in melee and the Gunfighter wants to shoot a friendly model, then you can only do so if that friendly is within the Gunfighter's melee range. Also, if that friendly model is engaged by an enemy, that friendly model will always get the +4 DEF bonus (because the point of origin of the attack, the Gunfighter, is not "in melee" with the friendly model).
- Outside of melee
- If the Gunfighter isn't in melee, and didn't charge this turn, then it shoots just the same as a normal model.
- In melee, but didn't charge
- If it didn't charge, it can target anyone it's "in melee" with.
- This can be any model in the Gunfighter's melee range, plus any models that have the Gunfighter in their melee range.
- If a Gunfighter kills all the enemies it is in melee with, and still has the ability to make more ranged attacks, then those attacks just follow the normal Ranged Attack rules. (Infernal Ruling)
- Charged into melee
- If it did charge, its initial attacks can only target models that are in the Gunfighter's melee range.
- If all models in the Gunfighter's melee range are killed before it makes its initial attacks, it loses any unspent initial attacks. (Infernal Ruling)
- However if it can purchase additional attacks (via Reload for instance) and/or get free attacks (via Black Spot for instance), then those non-initial attacks can target anyone it's "in melee" with, as per #2 above.
- Other targeting notes
- Remember, you can never be "in melee" with a friendly model, so a Gunfighter can pretty much never choose to target a friend while it's in melee.
- If the gunfighter is unengaged, it can still shoot a friendly model, which would just be a normal ranged attack.
- Gunfighter doesn't change the RNG of your gun, it just provides you an ability to use it while in melee and imposes some targeting restrictions.
- If you're affected by a debuff that reduces your RNG to 1", that will further limit who you can target.
- If you're affected by a debuff that reduces your RNG to 0", you cannot make attacks (refer 'Weapon Statistics', page 19 of rulebook).
- You use the Gunfighter's RAT for the attack roll.
- Gunfighters do not ignore the Cover/Concealment bonus. (Infernal Ruling)
- How the +4 DEF bonus for "being in melee" works with Gunfighters is:
- they always ignore it vs enemies, because the "point of origin of the attack is in melee with the target".
- they never ignore it vs friendlies, because you cannot be in melee with a friendly target.
- Note that enemy models without magic weapons can't hurt you in melee, but they can engage you.
- If they engage you then you're in melee and your target selection is limited to just models in melee (as explained above).
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
- If you miss then the AOE will deviate as per the normal AOE rules. Not very far, though, considering the max distance you'll be apart is 2".
- If you use an AOE weapon to make a free strike, you get the +2 to hit and you get boosted damage against everything under the blast template.
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
- Who you can target with the spray is limited as described above, but you get to put the whole spray template down and potentially hit models well outside the melee.
- If you use a spray weapon to make a free strike, you get the +2 to hit and you get boosted damage against everything under the spray template.
Units of Gunfighters
- If a unit of Gunfighters successfully charge, but someone else in their unit kills their charge target before they get a turn to attack, then they may redirect their attack.
- Redirected attack:
- If they're still engaged, their initial attack (s) must be vs someone in their melee range.
- If they're still engaged, but no one is in their own melee range, they don't get any initial attacks.
- If they're unengaged, they are now free to shoot anyone within the gun's normal range.
- Gunfighter vs Point Blank (Edit)
- If a model has both Gunfighter and Point Blank, then you should declare whether you're using it as a ranged attack or melee attack whenever you shoot the gun. Because that can limit what other initial/additional attacks you can make. (Infernal Ruling)
- These two abilities are subtly different, but it's an important difference.
- Gunfighter allows you to make ranged attacks while in melee.
- Point blank allows you to make melee attacks with your ranged weapon.
- Since you can't make both ranged and melee attacks in the same turn, a Gunfighter model has a choice of either initial melee attack(s) or initial ranged attack(s). (unless it has Virtuoso or something).
- Whereas a Point Blank model chooses to make initial melee attacks, and then gets to make attacks with both weapons.
- Furthermore, the types of bonuses, penalties, and special effects you (or your opponent) can trigger will change dramatically:
- Any buffs/triggers on ranged attacks (such as Evasive, Shield Guard, Deadeye, etc) will affect Gunfighter attacks, but not Point Blank attacks.
- Any buffs/triggers on melee attacks (such as Battle Lust, Riposte etc) will affect Point Blank attacks, but not Gunfighter attacks.
- Gunfighter & Cavalry ( Edit )
- A cavalry model that charges then makes a Gunfighter attack will not gain a boosted charge attack roll, because a ranged attack is not a charge attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- You also won't gain a boosted charge damage roll, as per normal for a Gunfighter.
- Gunfighter vs RNG modifiers (Edit)
- Unlike what most people might tell you, Gunfighter doesn't have a "range", it just lets the model make ranged attacks while in melee. The gun's actual RNG is unaffected though, until you put something like Windstorm (-5 RNG) on it. Then what happens is:
- If the gun is RNG 7, Windstorm will reduce it to 2". Thus it won't affect any Gunfighter attacks.
- If the gun is RNG 6, Windstorm will reduce it to 1". Thus you can only make Gunfighter attacks vs models within 1" (if you can - charging Gunfighters may be more limited).
- If the gun is RNG 5, Windstorm will reduce it to 0". Thus you can't make any attacks as per 'Weapon Statistics' (page 19 of the core rulebook).
- (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Archeologist - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Reposition (Edit)
- Models out of formation cannot move via Reposition. Refer to the "Out of Formation" rules in the core rulebook.
- End of Activation (Edit)
- You cannot resolve two end-of-activation movement effects (refer to "End of Activation Movement" in the core rulebook). For EOA stuff that doesn't involve movement, though, it gets a bit more murky:
- Some EOA abilities explicitly state your activation ends as part of resolving the ability (like Reposition), and some don't (like Refuge).
- Whether it is explicit it or not, by definition an EOA ability is the last thing you can do for that activation. For instance, if you resolve Refuge and then continue your activation to cast more spells, then you have not used Refuge at the end of your activation.
- You cannot do an "at any time" ability during or after triggering an EOA ability; you cannot cast spells, purchase additional attacks, use a mini-feat, etc.
- If you start resolving an EOA movement (such as Reposition) then you cannot trigger abilities that occur "at any time" (such as Go To Ground). Because you can't trigger it while resolving the EOA movement, and after the EOA movement your activation has ended. (Infernal Ruling)
- For units: if any model in the unit starts resolving the unit's EOA movement, then no model in the unit can trigger an any-time ability. (Infernal Ruling)
- See also the training article: LPG - End of Activation.
Rules Clarification : Servitor Launch - None yet. (Edit)