You may be looking for one of these:
| Warpwolf Stalker |
Warpwolves are humans that have been transformed into savage beasts well suited for battle. Retaining some portion of their human intellects, the sword-wielding stalkers are stealthy killers that prowl behind enemy lines and strike without warning.
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here to read the long version.
- Controlled Warping - This model must choose one of the following benefits when it activates. If it frenzies it must choose Warp Strength.
- Berserk - When this model destroys one or more models with a melee attack during its Combat Action, immediately after the attack is resolved it must make one additional melee attack against another model in its melee range.
- Prowl - While this model has concealment, it gains stealth.
- Warp Strength - This model gains +2 STR.
- Regeneration [D3] - This model can be forced to remove D3 damage points once per activation. This model cannot use Regeneration during an activation it runs.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Claw - 1" reach, POW 4, P+S 15 melee attack
- Great Sword - 2" reach, POW 6, P+S 17 melee attack
| Lightning Strike
|The caster gains Sprint for one turn.|
- Secret Masters
The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt. In this theme, when Warpwolf Stalker casts its own animus, the COST is reduced by 1.
No changes since 2018.10
Thoughts on Warpwolf Stalker
Warpwolf Stalker in a nutshell
The Warpwolf Stalker is a powerful and flexible warbeast and considered iconic to the Circle. The combination of its sword and Warp Strength let it hit hard. The combination of its long sword and Berserk let it thresh infantry. And its speed and Pathfinder lets it reach the enemy to kill them. It's very simple, very effective, and should possibly be any Circle player's first purchase after the battle box.
Combos & Synergies
- Each of the Kaya's does something for the Stalker:
- Kaya1 increases its accuracy via Pack Hunter, allowing it to scythe through infantry. She can also teleport it back for more hit-and-run, and run it hotter thanks to Soothing Song.
- Kaya2 increases its hitting power and survivability via Forced Evolution, and Shadow Pack means you don't need to warp for Prowl to keep it safe from shooting. She can also teleport it back once per game via feat.
- Kaya3 can massively up its offense via Synergy, and protect it going in via Fog of War and her feat. Unfortunately, Reposition 3" (granted by her Field Marshall) doesn't stack with Sprint.
- Kromac1 turns it from an infantry-killer into an infantry-blender thanks to Wild Aggression and Warpath, allowing it to potentially scythe through a unit and run back without ever forcing.
- Kromac2 increases its accuracy via Carnage and its hitting power and survivability via feat. If you're not playing in Call of the Wild, Awakened Spirit will let it cast its animus for free. Kromac 2 also loves Sprint, enabling him to essentially act as a more dangerous Warpwolf Stalker on his own.
- Morvahna2 helps it survive shooting thanks to Fog of War. Re-rolling damage and hit rolls makes it perform much more consistently, and she loves having Sprint, which lets her personally contribute.
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress or the Blackclad Wayfarer - Hunter's Mark is an excellent threat range extender that provides free charges.
- Primal, provided by the Gorax or Feral Warpwolf, gives the Stalker MAT 8 and POW 21 with its sword when warping Strength, allowing it a reasonable-to-good chance of one-rounding other heavies. However, you'll lose control of it next turn, so make sure that it's worth it.
- As an aside, activating Lightning Strike while under the effect of Primal won't stop you from Frenzying, but will let you Sprint away.
- Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew provide an easy way to turn Prowl into Stealth.
- Theme - Call of the Wild makes Lightning Strike a free animus.
- Due to the wording of the respective abilities, a Stalker can be placed via Kaya the Moonhunter & Laris’s feat then move via sprint from it’s animus, but not the other way round.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As heavies go, it's squishy.
- As with the other Warpwolves, it's high defense can be overcome with any sort of knockdown mechanic.
Tricks & Tips
The Stalker is useful in almost any situation where melee is even vaguely relevant
- Berserk lets you scythe through infantry
- Warp Strength means you hit at P+S 19
- Pathfinder + Prowl is really useful when you aren't attacking people.
- Released in Primal Mk2 (2010)
- Resculpted in 2013 and now sold in a multi-kit with the pureblood and feral wolves.
Other Circle models
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.