| Void Archon |
Whatever their nature and however they are connected to the gods, either hidden or lost or forgotten, void archons exist and join the fight against infernals. Some manifest as though of their own will, neither invited nor called, while others answer summoning rites and are bound by mystical chains. Those who fight alongside the Convergence are considered gifts of the Maiden of Gears. Others join skorne armies, thought to be ancestral spirits returned from the Void. Those who join the Retribution are said to be sent by Lacyr herself, proof that their vanished creator still protects her people. Cryxian lich lords bind archons that they view as greater banes, occult weapons endorsed by Toruk himself. Perhaps all or none of these purported origins are true.
- Mercenary - Void Archons will work for Convergence, Cryx, Khador, or Retribution.
- Minion - Void Archons will work for Skorne.
- Flight - This model ignores (almost) all terrain when moving. This model can move over other models, and ignores intervening models when declaring charges.
- Dark Shroud - While in this model's melee range, enemy models suffer -2 ARM.
- Divine Manifestation - This model is not a living model, cannot become knocked down, and never suffers Blind.
- Dual Attack - This model can make melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Entropic Force - While within 5" of this model, enemy models lose tough and cannot be healed/repaired.
- Soul Taker: Spectral Scavenger - This model can gain soul tokens. When a living enemy model is destroyed in this model's command range, this model gains the destroyed model’s soul token. Additionally, when a friendly living model is destroyed by a continuous effect, an enemy attack, or collateral damage from an enemy attack while in this model's command range, this model gains the destroyed model’s soul token. This model can have up to three soul tokens at any time. This model can spend soul tokens for the following:
- Soul Ward - Enemy models cannot gain soul tokens from friendly models destroyed within this model's command range.
- Void Walk - Once per activation, immediately after resolving an attack in which it destroyed a living or undead enemy model with an attack during its Combat Action, you can place this model anywhere completely within 8" of its current location.
- Void Howler - 10" spray, POW 14 ranged attack
- Void Touch (x2) - 1" reach, POW 5, P+S 13 melee attack (effectively P+S 15 because of Dark Shroud)
- Other Factions
- As a Merc/Minion model, it can also be taken in a bunch of other Faction's theme forces. Refer to #Other Theme Forces.
- Special mention to Clockwork Legions (Convergence), Dark Host (Cryx), Shadows of the Retribution (Retribution), Disciples of Agony (Skorne), The Exalted (Skorne), and Wolves of Winter (Khador) where players can take Void Archons up to the FA of 2 without it counting against their "Up to one Mercenary solo" slot.
Thoughts on the Void Archon
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Void Archon in a nutshell
The Void Archon blends some disruptive abilities with debuffs and a potent spray attack. Dark Shroud helps your models put out some additional damage, and Entropic Force keeps your opponents models locked into their damage until they move away or kill the Void Archon. Of all the Archons, the Void Archon can collect Souls and put them to good use, which is unique. Void Walk makes this Archon particularly difficult to plan for, as it will show up in some inconvenient places and spray down enemy models or right behind a really high value target to Dark Shroud it. The biggest question about the Void Archon is whether you can deliver it successfully.
Combos & Synergies
- With the combination of Void Walk and Dark Shroud it combos well with just about anything, getting to apply its debuff wherever it wants.
- Friendly living models to fuel its Spectral Scavenger
- Shield Guards. With a large base, DEF 14, ARM 17, and only 12 damage boxes this thing is a big target for incoming fire.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- High points cost.
- Large base, DEF 14, ARM 17, 12 damage boxes. This thing is a fire magnet and one that rarely benefits from friendly faction buffs.
- This is the only Archon Cryx players have access to, but they already have abundant access to Dark Shroud (most notably in the Dark Host theme). Of course Skorne and Retribution don't.
- Soul Phase only lasts a turn, not a round.
- It's not a partisan to any of the factions it works for, so if you play outside of mercs or minions it is never friendly faction to the rest of your army, thus it can't receive buffs.
- It's a mercenary, but isn't actually allowed in any of to non-Cephalyx themes.
Tricks & Tips
- Most activations you'll charge, spray, then blink backwards to stay safe. You'll gain souls to use for later.
- Void Walk can trigger between attacks, and it doesn't make your activation end. So if you're feeling plucky, you could charge, slice something, blink forwards, then shoot something. That's a 27" threat range on your spray.
- Use Soul Phase before you move, to make your movement easier and/or to ignore non-magical free strikes. It doesn't last during the enemy turn. You can have some limited benefit to activate it after his movement (being able to shoot or charge through it mostly), but it won't protect it.
- Void Walk can trigger off ranged attacks.
- If you're using Dual Attack to shoot models you're in melee with, don't forget that Dark Shroud applies to ranged attacks too.
Beta rules 2019.04
Other Theme Forces
Convergence of Cyriss (Edit)
Retribution of Scyrah (Edit)
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Mercenary models
Note to self: I need to update this rules section after the rules are finalised - juckto.