❝ The whirring susurration of Venator slingers in battle is a sound even the bravest Praetorians dread. Centuries of house wars have begun with that noise heralding a rain of shattering globes that drench defenders in lethal and viscous acid. Using these weapons, the lowest among the warrior caste can reduce the greatest with just a few well-aimed shots. ❞ - Hordes Unit Gallery
- Sling ❙ Ranged ❙ COST: 12 ❙ RNG: 10 ❙ ROF: 1 ❙ AOE: 65 ❙ POW: 10 ❙ P+S: 78 ❙ DUR: 90 ❙ OFF: 90
- Damage Type: Corrosion - This weapon does corrosion damage.
- Arcing Fire - When attacking with this weapon, this model can ignore intervening models except those within 1" of the target.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Sword ❙ Melee ❙ COST: 12 ❙ RNG: 0.5 ❙ ROF: 43 ❙ AOE: 65 ❙ POW: 3 ❙ P+S: 8 ❙ DUR: 90 ❙ OFF: 90 Backup melee weapon.
- Advance Deployment - Models with advance deployment are placed after normal deployment and may be placed up to 6" further forward.
Thoughts on Venator Slingers
Venator Slingers in a nutshell
Model for model the Venator Slingers might be the cheapest credible ranged unit in the game. Continuous corrosion is a bane of both tough models and of single wound shield walls while Flare can let you land a ridiculous number of extra attacks by not needing to boost. Advance Deployment makes them extremely useful for picking the right targets.
Combos & Synergies
The Venator Slingers are just short of being good at shooting and a little support from a caster can really help. Slingers with erosion are little to write home about when it comes to mauling heavy warjacks - but they are just good enough that a small ARM debuff is going to have an amazing impact. Or a small DEF debuff will let them scythe through troops, leaving the ones that made their tough-checks already corroded.
- Lord Arbiter Hexeris Black Spot can allow an amazing amount of work - kill an infantry model then flare something big being the normal combination. Or just kill, kill, kill.
- Dominar Rasheth - a 2 point ARM debuff can make all the difference in the world for erosion attacks.
- Lord Tyrant Hexeris - a 3 point one is better.
- Lord Assassin Morghoul - and here comes Mortality and Blind.
- Beast Master Xekaar - more Mortality and a feat.
Other models can buff the Slingers directly.
- Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer - extra movement = extra threat range.
- Venator Dakar - +1 to hit from Veteran Leader can be extremely useful.
The Flare ability from the Slingers helps everyone but some models gain more from it than others.
- Heavies. They tend to have enough MAT to not boost against other heavies but still hit on 6s against DEF 12 models. Lowering that to 4s can really help.
- Venator Flayer Cannon The flayer cannon is hard hitting but not that accurate.
- Venator Catapult Crew - if it aims, gets a Flare, and gets a Dakar supporting it it can reach the heady heights of RAT 6. And its direct hit hits hard.
- Siege Animantarax - it's a cross between a heavy and a flayer cannon.
As a very cheap unit cheap souls are cheap souls and as an advance deploying skirmish screen you expect them to die lots. They therefore combo well with the soul collectors:
- Aptimus Marketh, Extoller Soulward, Ancestral Guardian, Hakaar the Destroyer, Zaal the Ancestral Advocate - and Supreme Aptimus Zaal who doesn't directly collect their souls, but uses them for rage tokens and brings soul collectors. (In a pinch they also Last Stand).
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Low RAT means they are very poor at shooting high DEF infantry.
- Some things have immunity to corrosion.
- Erosion can be a trap. Without an ARM debuff it's not worth trying to use them against heavy warjacks. It's more to kill things like Sentry Stone or light arc nodes.
- Flare is weird. They have a low RAT combined with a RAT debuff that only works if they hit. It's helpful to put average def things into rock bottom def.
- For actually killing enemies at range Venator Reivers tend to be better - only slightly more expensive, but with a longer range and don't have to worry about immunity to corrosion
Tricks and Tips
- Tough models are best hit by acid baths - if they pass their tough roll the acid still probably gets them.
- A suicidal slinger or two can deal with stealth on a model and lower its DEF while the rest get to erode it.
- They die to a stiff breeze - but as a ranged advance deploying unit they normally get to hit first. And they are cheap.
- Venator means "hunter" in latin.
- Released in Hordes: Domination (2011)
Other Skorne models