|We have 1265 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Vanguard |
Originally designed and crafted from the finest materials and the skilled hands of the Golden Crucible, only a small number of Vanguards were ever produced. Able to keep pace with the fleetest of warcasters, and to set their cannon-laden shield and long hafted poleaxe against their foes, the Vanguard is a highly prized masterpiece on the battlefield.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Maker's Mark [Crucible Guard] - This warjack can be included in a battlegroup controlled by a Crucible Guard model. If it is, this warjack is a Crucible Guard model instead of a Mercenary model. If this warjack begins the game as part of a battlegroup controlled by a Crucible Guard model, it can be included in an army made using a theme force whether or not it can normally be included in armies made using the theme force.
- Set Defense - A model in this model's front arc suffers -2 on charge, slam power attack, and impact attack rolls against this model.
- Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.
- Shield Gun - 8" range, POW 12 ranged weapon.
- Shield - 0.5" reach, POW 2, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- Guisarme - 2" reach, POW 5, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Flame in the Darkness. It can be "shared" by Cygnar or Khador models in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance - This warjack gains Pathfinder in this theme.
- Operating Theater (only if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a 'Jack Marshal unit)
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars. If it is 'jack marshalled in this theme, it gains Flank [Warrior]
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Talion Charter
- Other Factions
- Flame in the Darkness as described above.
- Hearts of Darkness. It can only go in this theme if Crosse2 is leading the army. It cannot go in Hearts when Lukas is leading the army. It becomes an Infernal model and gains Accumulator [Soulless].
- There are dozens of other Faction's themes it can go in if it is under the control of a Mercenary 'Jack Marshal or "Junior Warcaster" that works for that other Faction. Omitted for brevity.
No changes since 2017.11
Thoughts on Vanguard
Vanguard in a nutshell
The Vanguard is a combined arms jack with a focus on defense and protecting other models. It's expensive for a light, but versatile.
Its stats compare favorably to 13/16 Cygnaran lights. For 1 point more than a Charger, the Vanguard gets +3 ARM, +2 POW, +1" reach, Assault, Set Defense, Shield Guard and an extra initial attack. In Llaelese Resistance, it gets Pathfinder. When standing near Ashlynn d'Elyse, it gets +1 to attack rolls. This is all quite good.
The Vanguard is a key 'jack for the Crucible Guard, being their line non-mercenary source of Shield Guard as well as a solid melee light with an above average ability to take hits. Most Guard lists will run at least one Vanguard, often two, especially when run in the Prima Materia theme. This theme allows Vanguards to Shield Guard twice per turn, which makes a Prima Materia gunline very scary for opposing gunlines.
Combos & Synergies
It will perform admirably in a Llaelese Resistance led by Ashlynn army where it will have Pathfinder with a nice piece of rubble to hang out in, knockdown immunity through Chosen Ground, and +1 to hit. You might see it with other Llaelese Resistance casters from time to time as well.
- His Fire Group and Moving Shadows spells are good support spells for the Vanguard's fairly average ranged attack.
- Still, probably not his cup of tea and he normally takes something different.
- He does not like being shot, so Shield Guard(s) are nice- although the Swabber may be a more popular choice.
- Calamity helps the damage output and Esort and Unyielding let it get up there and jam effectively.
- Combined with Bullet Dodger it is 15/21 against melee attacks even before Set Defense.
- A Vanguard makes a good Admonition target and having a Shield Guard is always important for protecting Ashlynn from shots outside of her 12" Feat.
- as a Llaelese model, her Veteran Leader ability gives it +1 to hit.
- Crucible Guard
- All Guard casters run Vanguards with approximately the same efficiency (their support spells are often better used on heavies or Raillesses). Shield Guard is an extremely important ability for the faction and every Guard caster wants to strongly consider a Vanguard bodyguard.
- Vanguards can Shield Guard twice in Prima Materia, making them especially effective into opposing gunlines.
- Maker's Mark means that Vanguards become Crucible Guard models, meaning that they benefit from all "friendly faction" effects such as the Mechanik's repair. This only applies to Vanguards run by CG casters or juniors; if you bring a 'Jack Marshaled Vanguard (which is only available to Guard in the form of Mercs in Magnum Opus), the Vanguard will remain a Merc model and does not benefit from being friendly faction to the rest of your Guard army.
- Crucible Guard has multiple sources of ARM debuff, which can really enhance the hitting power of the Vanguard's three initial attacks. Notably all five casters, the Dragon's Breath Rocket, Hutchuk, Gorman, and the Suppressor all pair well with Vanguards to increase their hitting power.
- Prospero likes to run a Vanguard if being used primarily for Veteran Leader & Instability Equation.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- It's not as expensive as it used to be, but it's hardly cheap for light warjack, especially since for only 2 points more, you can get a Nomad, which hits considerably harder. This conundrum is even worse for Guard, since for the same points you can take the best arc node in the game in the form of the Liberator.
- POW 14 makes it weak into armor so its more of an infantry and cavalry slayer that can help out with high ARM here and there. Guard largely covers this weakness thanks to their variety of ARM debuffs.
- It is focus-needy, often needing a point or two from your caster to hit at a level to justify its points.
- The combination of almost-heavy points cost and limited hitting power means that the Vanguard is a poor choice for 'Jack Marshals or Battlegroup Controllers without a built in damage buff (such as Prospero).
- Lukas cannot run the Vanguard in Hearts of Darkness due to the wording on Maker's Mark. This is not too much of a loss (Umbral Guardians are much more points efficient for double Shield Guard bots), but it is worth considering.
Tricks and Tips
- If you are expecting too much anti-armour firepower to make taking a Rover worth it, the Vanguard can be a suitable throw-away guard.
- Locke can potentially increase a Vanguard's threat by 5" (Road to War + Redline), and can fairly confidently make it hit at Pow 18. That is enough to kill most casters.
- Vanguards make excellent solo/small unit hunters thanks to their three initials and decent threat range. Even a single buff and they should be able to kill anything that costs less than 8 points.
- Released in Warmachine: Superiority (2006)
- Resculpted in 2018 as part of the Crucible Guard release. The new model shares its torso & limb parts with the Retaliator & Liberator, all three being on the Vanguard Chassis.
Who can take this warjack
When used in a Crucible Guard battlegroup, it works like a normal CG warjack.
When used as a Mercenary model, it must be controlled by one of the Mercenary controllers listed below.
Oddly, it can be used as a Mercenary model within a CG force.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)|
|Non-Casters||"Junior Warcaster"||Crosse1||'Jack Marshal|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Faction models
|Crucible Guard Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
|Warcaster attachments||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc (Crucible) - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Mercenary) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Warjack Controllers||Prospero (BGC)|
|Light||Liberator - Retaliator - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Suppresor - Toro - Vindicator|
|Units, Solos, Battle Engines, & Structures|
|Units|| Infantry - Assault Troopers - Combat Alchemists - Dragon's Breath Rocket - Rocketmen - Shock Troopers - |
Ranking Officer : Doctor Alejandro Mosby
|Battle Engines||Railless Interceptor|
|Magnum Opus - Prima Materia|
|Refer to Who Works for Whom and/or Category: Crucible Guard Mercenary|
|This index was last updated: 2019.12|
Step 1: Declare the charge
Step 2: Move the charging model
Step 3: Make the ranged attack
Step 4: If you miss
Step 5: After finishing the Assault attack