|We have 1341 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Trollkin Runebearer |
Some of the most learned trollkin runescribes choose to accompany their leaders into battle. Carrying the sacred tablets of their kriel, runebearers are capable of amplifying the Dhunian gifts of trollkin warlocks. The glyphs glow as the runebearer speaks them aloud, easing their warlock’s use of their fury-driven prayers and sorcery.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on the Trollkin Runebearer
- 3 Other
- Attached - Before the start of the game, attach this model to a friendly Faction warlock for the rest of the game. Each Faction warlock can have only one model/unit attached to it.
- Arcane Repeater - While this model's warcaster/warlock is within 5" of it, that caster's control range is extended 2".
- Magic Ability [ 6 ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
| Harmonious Exaltation
|Target this model's warcaster/warlock. If it is in range, once this turn when the warcaster/warlock casts a spell, reduce the COST of the spell by 1.|
|Spell Slave||(★ Action) or (★ Attack)||Stats vary every time|
This model must be in its warcaster/warlock's control range to make the Spell Slave special action. When it does, it casts one of the spells on its warlock/warcaster's card with a COST of 3 or less. This model cannot cast upkeep spells or spells with a RNG of SELF or CTRL. When casting an offensive spell, Spell Slave is a magic attack. Use this model's Magic Ability score when making magic attack rolls.
- Band of Heroes. Trollkin Runebearer gains "Option Take Down" in this theme. Not that he has any way to use it.
- Kriel Company. Trollkin Runebearers gain Mark Target in this theme.
- Power of Dhunia
- Storm of the North. Trollkin Runebearer becomes a Northkin model and gains Immunity: Cold in this theme.
Thoughts on the Trollkin Runebearer
Trollkin Runebearer in a nutshell
The Trollkin Runebearer basically gives any warlock a free Fury and 2 inch extra ctrl - always nice especially when it means you can load the Krielstone that much better turn1 and play your warbeasts that much further forward. Although he can do more than just this and is possibly the best warlock attachment in the game.
With average stats and only support abilities your desire to include one will often depend on what warlock you are bringing, but at the time of writing almost all casters will be interested in what he has to offer.
Combos & Synergies
- Every troll warlock wants him. Some warlocks (Gunnbjorn1, Grissel2, Borka2 and Calandra) only want him only for the +2ctrl and -1 spell cost, others really need him as a key part of their game plan, either to let them load the Krielstone turn1 and get spells out or for 1 extra cast of a utility spell.
- Dhunian Knot - Magic Ability 6 is at the level where you will probably miss unless you can boost or reroll an attack. They can be free in Power of Dhunia too, so the support bloat is not that much of an issue.
What’s best to cast...
Offensive spells are risky, as they often expose the Runebearer to an attack. It's best to cast something defensive, or a buff if possible. Here are a list of possible spells, and a brief discussion on the merits of casting one spell over another.
- Borka2 - Frost Hammer is your only option, but is a risky offensive spell.
- Calandra - Befuddle and Misfortune are both offensive spells that present some board control options.
- Doomshaper1 - Stranglehold is your only option, and is an offensive spell.
- Doomshaper2 - Hex Blast is your only option, and is an offensive spell that can remove upkeeps.
- Doomshaper3 - Stranglehold, if you are positive you can damage something, or Repudiate if an upkeep is annoying.
- Grissel1 - Boundless Charge for free - yes please! Rift is also handy, but often exposes the Runebearer. Grissel 1 does have Hoof It, so the Runebearer can walk back if he needs.
- Grissel2 - has no spells that the Runebearer can cast.
- Grim1 - Mantrap and Return Fire are your only options. Casting Return Fire is the safest option. Mantrap is high risk high reward, as it is an offensive spell.
- Grim2 - You can only cast Mortality and the enemy will likely kill the Runebearer after casting it. But it’s such a fantastic spell it’s often a risk worth considering.
- Gunnbjorn1 - you can’t cast anything for Gunny1.
- Gunnbjorn2 - you can't cast anything for Gunny2.
- Horgle2 - the only thing he can cast is Consuming Flames - which may do something when setting up a feat turn or if you really need a free charge, but it is a risky offensive spell.
- Jarl Skuld - cast Magic Bullet as often as you can. It’s your only eligible spell, but it can be cast safely.
- Kolgrimma - Cursed Fate, Hunters Mark, and Winters Tide are all eligible. They are all offensive spells, and are risky. If the Runebearer is unexpectedly alone, Winters Tide is the best of the three, because it could take out a threat on its own.
- Madrak1 - Guided Hand is your only eligible spell to cast, but it’s a good one. Cast it on Trollkin Champions, or a warbeast with a critical effect so that Madrak can focus on Even Ground and animi.
- Madrak2 - Eruption is your only eligible spell here. It’s worth activating the Runebearer last, in case the cloud gets in the way of your feat or melee infantry.
- Madrak3 - Battle Lust is eligible, and is a powerful buff.
- Ragnor - If you have nothing else to do, cast Earth’s Sanctuary on himself or another model who needs protection. Shockwave, or Hex Blast are both risky offensive spells.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- In most cases, don't bother casting offensive spells. The Runebearer will only die. There are certain warlocks, like Grim, that might want a Runebearer to cast something like Mortality, but that's a rare case.
- Borka1 isn’t allowed him as he already has an attachment.
- He's pretty much an auto-include in most lists, so inevitably you will encounter support bloat in your list building.
- Average Defensive stats (for a Troll) he can be removed pretty easily if left exposed.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep him safe.
- Death, Slams and Pushes on the Runebearer can effect Arcane Repeater. Leaving friendly models on the ctrl edge out of essential auras like Even Ground and Star-Crossed as well as risking a frenzy or two.
- Released in Forces of Hordes: Trollbloods (2010)
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2019.08.
Other Trollblood models
Who does the casting
When/how does a Spell Slave cast
What spells can they choose to cast
How can they boost the spell