|We have 1356 articles and 93% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
The champions are hardened trollkin veterans, rising as the great heroes of their kriels. A tight bond links them to one another, an awareness that theirs is a greater destiny. They formalize these ties with the kulgat blood oath, learning to draw strength from their brothers and fight with seamless precision side by side. They distinguish themselves on the front line, hacking into enemies with a weapon in each hand, inflicting grievous wounds.
The mighty Trollkin warrior Skaldi Bonehammer is a champion among the champions of the bitter North, his thirst for glory and carnage an infectious tide that spreads like wildfire among the Trollkin he leads. His thirst for battle is legendary, and his relentless fighting style combines bone-cracking strength and a fearsome swiftness that leaves allies in awe and enemies broken and bleeding.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Trollkin Champions
- 3 Other
- Entire unit
- Defensive Line - While this model is B2B with one or more models in its unit, it gains +2 DEF against melee attacks and cannot become knocked down.
- Relentless Charge - While advancing as part of a charge, this model gains Pathfinder.
- Sanguine Bond - When this model would suffer damage from an enemy attack while in formation, you can choose one or more models in its unit to suffer any amount of that damage instead, divided as you choose. If you do, this model does not suffer that damage. A model cannot suffer more damage as a result of Sanguine Bond than it has unmarked damage boxes.".
- Skaldi only
- Immunity: Cold
- Granted: Practiced Maneuvers - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Practiced Maneuvers. (Practiced Maneuvers - Each model in this unit can ignore other models in this unit when determining LOS and can advance through them if it has enough movement to move completely past them.)
- Rapid Strike - This model can make one additional melee attack each Combat Action.
- Tactics: Northkin - Models in his unit are considered to be Northkin models and gain Immunity: Cold.
- Tactics: Overtake - Models in this unit gain Overtake. (Overtake - When a model with Overtake destroys one or more enemy models with a basic melee attack during its Combat Action, after the attack is resolved it can immediately advance up to 1".)
|Leader & Grunts||
As with most Trollblood units, they may have a Trollkin Sorcerer weapon attachment. His info has been omitted for brevity.
2020.11 Vengeance of Dhunia CID
- Unit and Skaldi gain Relentless Charge as a base rule.
- Skaldi swaps Granted: Relentless Charge for Granted: Practiced Maneuvers.
- Skaldi finally gets the Champion tag.
Thoughts on Trollkin Champions
Trollkin Champions in a nutshell
Trollkin Champions are the heavy hitters of Trollkin infantry. Hard hitting and hard to kill, Champions both wreck things on the charge and are effective brawlers (although not effective enough to truly wreck heavies).
The stand out special rule is sanguine bond, allowing you to spread damage out when any enemy manages to puncture their respectable armour. Your opponent may need to deal as much as 20 damage before even a single Troll needs to make a tough roll. More models reaching the front lines means more attacks and with weapon master and the Krielstone CA (either one) they can do a lot of hurt to all but the highest armour targets.
Champions are available in 3 of the 5 themes trolls can play in so they are naturally one of the recommended first purchases for new players.
Thoughts on the CA & WA
8 extra wounds on the Sanguine Bond, and a little more infantry killing is good. Being able to see and move through each other is handy but not essential. Skaldi has become a little bit less of an auto-include since the Vengeance of Dhunia update as the main reason to take him was Pathfinder on the charge. Overtake has a few issues with champions if you spread out too much; because hitting more enemies you will cause you to lose Defensive Line during the enemies turn. Reposition from Boomhowler2 or Jarl or Hoof it from Grissel1 or Boomhowler3 are good ways to minimise this issue. Skaldi has also picked up the champion tag which means he benefits from the Trollkin Heros retaliatory strike.
Trollkin Sorcerers can still utilise sanguine bond and the unit wide magical attack buff makes the Champions quite adept at killing stuff like Wraith Engines. The downside of the Vengeance of Dhunia CID is without granted Relentless Charge on Skaldi you end up with some models that can ignore terrain and some who cannot (though moving through each other helps prevent this being a massive issue).
Combos & Synergies
- Any DEF buffs make them almost unhittable.
- Borka1 is the best for this with his Arcane Ward which has the added benefit of making them untargetable by spells, avoiding many potentially nasty debuffs.
- Madrak1's Even Ground buffs their defence even higher, though defensive line already grants immunity to knockdown. Healing from his feat also works well with Sanguine Bond as its guaranteed to fully restore a Champion to max HP
- Grissel2 has Deflection which makes their defense just as good vs guns.
- Grissel2 also has Dash, which makes them faster and immune to free strikes. Potentially handy when making overtake moves or to get at juicy targets.
- Jarl Skuld has Quicken for more speed and def against shooting, which helps deliver them tremendously.
Minion Warlocks (Vengeance of Dhunia only)
- Stone Scribe Chronicler - The Champions like piling in where the battle is toughest, and they can get a lot of hitting power in a small area to maximize the damage buff.
- The Krielstone with the Northkin Elder attachment gives them another speed point.
- Combine with Jarl's Quicken and you have a P+S 12 weapon master unit that threatens 11" on the charge. Not bad!
- The Trollkin Champion Hero gives them Retaliatory Strike.
- Oddly Skaldi, who is the Champion's CA, is not a Champion himself so doesn't get Retaliatory Strike.
- Trollkin Sorcerers as long as they are not the initial target they can still have damage transferred to them via sanguine bond they can also help other models in the unit gain Defensive Line even if they themselves don’t get the +2 Def and no knockdown.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Expensive and they will get shot.
- If you only want a minimum unit and have a screen, the Sons of Bragg hit slightly harder and are slightly more flexible.
Tricks & Tips
- Trollkin Sorcerers that you attach to the Champions can have damage moved to them via Sanguine Bond, but not the other way.
Other Trollblood models
Rules Clarification : Skaldi
|Bond of Brotherhood triggers when a model is damaged, whereas Sanguine Bond triggers when a model would be damaged.
Who counts as damaged (Brotherhood)
Who counts as damaged (Sanguine)
Note to Editors