|We have 1159 articles and 85% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
The champions are hardened trollkin veterans, rising as the great heroes of their kriels. A tight bond links them to one another, an awareness that theirs is a greater destiny. They formalize these ties with the kulgat blood oath, learning to draw strength from their brothers and fight with seamless precision side by side. They distinguish themselves on the front line, hacking into enemies with a weapon in each hand, inflicting grievous wounds.
The mighty Trollkin warrior Skaldi Bonehammer is a champion among the champions of the bitter North, his thirst for glory and carnage an infectious tide that spreads like wildfire among the Trollkin he leads. His thirst for battle is legendary, and his relentless fighting style combines bone-cracking strength and a fearsome swiftness that leaves allies in awe and enemies broken and bleeding.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Trollkin Champions
- 3 Other
Leader & Grunts
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Defensive Line - While B2B with one or more models in its unit, a model with Defensive Line gains +2 DEF against melee attacks and cannot become knocked down.
- Sanguine Bond - When this model would suffer damage from an enemy attack while in formation, you can choose one or more models in its unit to suffer any amount of that damage instead, divided as you choose. If you do, this model does not suffer that damage. A model cannot suffer more damage as a result of Sanguine Bond than it has unmarked damage boxes.".
- Hand Weapon (x2) - 1" reach, POW 4, P+S 12 melee weapons.
- Weapon Master - When attacking with this weapon, add an additional die to its damage rolls.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Immunity: Cold - This model does not suffer cold damage.
- Defensive Line
- Sanguine Bond
- Granted: Relentless Charge - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Relentless Charge. (Relentless Charge - While advancing as part of a charge, a model with Relentless Charge gains Pathfinder.)
- Rapid Strike - This model can make one additional melee attack each Combat Action.
- Tactics: Northkin - Models in his unit are considered to be Northkin models and gain Immunity: Cold.
- Tactics: Overtake - Models in this unit gain Overtake. (Overtake - When this model destroys one or more enemy models with a basic melee attack during its Combat Action, after the attack is resolved it can immediately advance up to 1".)
- Hammer (x1) - 1" reach, POW 4, P+S 12 melee attack
- Weapon Master
As with most Trollblood units, they may have a Trollkin Sorcerer weapon attachment. His info has been omitted for brevity.
Thoughts on Trollkin Champions
Trollkin Champions in a nutshell
Trollkin Champions are the heavy hitters of Trollkin infantry. Hard hitting and hard to kill, Champions both wreck things on the charge and are effective brawlers (although not effective enough to truly wreck heavies).
Thoughts on the CA & WA
8 extra wounds on the Sanguine Bond, Pathfinder on charges, and a little more infantry killing is good as is turning the unit into three pairs. Still, Skaldi is normally seen in either Band of Heroes or Storm of the North where he can be taken for free. And even there many would rather take the Fell Caller Hero for free who can give Pathfinder to anyone and hands out MAT buffs.
Combos & Synergies
- Any DEF buffs make them almost unhittable.
- Borka1 is the best for this with his Arcane Ward which has the added benefit of making them untargetable by spells, avoiding many potentially nasty debuffs.
- Madrak1's Even Ground buffs their defence even higher, though defensive line already grants immunity to knockdown. Healing from his feat also works well with Sanguine Bond as its guaranteed to fully restore a Champion to max HP
- Grissel2 has deflection which makes their defense just as good vs guns.
- Grissel2 also has Dash, which makes them faster and immune to free strikes. Potentially handy when making overtake moves or to get at juicy targets.
- Jarl Skuld has Quickend for more speed and def against shooting, which helps deliver them tremendously.
- Stone Scribe Chronicler - The Champions like piling in where the battle is toughest, and they can get a lot of hitting power in a small area to maximize the damage buff.
- The Krielstone with the Northkin Elder attachment gives them another speed point.
- Combine with Jarl's Quickend and you have a P+S 12 weapon master unit that threatens 11" on the charge. Not bad!
- The Trollkin Champion Hero gives them Retaliatory Strike.
- Oddly Skaldi, who is the Champion's CA, is not a Champion himself so doesn't get Retaliatory Strike.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Expensive and they will get shot.
- If you only want a minimum unit and have a screen, the Sons of Bragg hit slightly harder and are slightly more flexible.
Tricks & Tips
- Trollkin Sorcerers that you attach to the Champions can have damage moved to them via Sanguine Bond, but not the other way.
Other Trollblood models
Rules Clarification : Skaldi
Note to Editors