Trencher Combat Engineers
|We have 1217 articles and 91% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Baldwin (one year review)||Vanguard (one year review)|
| Trencher Combat Engineers |
As turn the wrenches of the mechaniks, so turns the war. Trencher combat engineers are even tougher and more combat-ready than their field mechanik counterparts in the regular Cygnaran Army. Every man and woman among them must be as adept with a firearm as they are at maintaining and repairing the warjacks and weapons of the platoon.
|Trencher Combat Engineers|
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dig In (★ Action) - This model gains cover, it does not suffer blast damage, and does not block LOS. The model remains dug in until it moves, is placed, or is engaged. It can begin the game dug in.
- Repair [d3] (★ Action) - RNG B2B. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3 damage points from it.
- Sabotage [d3] (★ Action) - Target enemy warjack or battle engine in B2B with this model suffers d3 damage points and cannot have damage removed from it for one round. You choose which column suffers the damage.
- Carbine - 10" range, POW 10 gun
- Monkey Wrench - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Trencher Combat Engineers
Trencher Combat Engineers in a nutshell
The Trencher Combat Engineers are a solid mix of support and light combat unit. As a combat unit they bring:
- the all round solid trencher statline, including tough
- the ability to dig-in, making them difficult to remove
As a support unit, they bring:
- Repair D3
- they are a small, sturdy unit available in Heavy Metal, making them good for scoring zones that Jacks can't
No discussion of these guys is possible without comparing them to Cygnar's other Mechanik unit: Field Mechaniks. Whereas the Field Mechs represent dirt-cheap repairers who aren't good for much else, Trencher Mechs can shoot, are more durable, and are much more expensive (per model). A huge point in the Trencher's favour is they can be taken in the Trencher theme, while the gobbers can't. Gobbers provide more bodies for the same price, and offer more opportunity for repair. Neither is distinctly better than the other, it mostly comes down to personal taste.
Combos & Synergies
- They're the cheapest unit that can maximise the number of shots that a Grenadier can make through Manual Reload.
- Under Haley 3's Temporal Distortion, they can be Def 19, meaning they can sit at the back of a zone being almost unkillable.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Everything they do is an action (either (★ Action) or combat). They can do only one per turn, and you're paying for all of them.
- They lack Advance Deployment, meaning that most of the time you won't have the opportunity to repair a jack, and be dug in the same time.
- In the Gravediggers theme, they don't do anything unique other than repair, and the theme generally doesn't bring very many jacks.
Tricks & Tips
- In the Heavy Metal theme, remember if you use Reposition while they are dug in, they will no longer be dug in because of the move.
Originally released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models