Trencher Long Gunners
To the trenchers, the staccato crack of rifle fire represents the familiar tempo of war. Trained in the use of repeating long rifles, Trencher Long Gunners provide their comrades in the corps with dedicated long-range fire support. These troops single out their targets and rain bullets on them from afar, cutting down ranks of enemy infantry with each fusillade.
|Trencher Long Gunners|
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- Tough - When this model is disabled, roll a d6. On a 5 or 6, remove 1 damage point from this model; it is no longer disabled and becomes knocked down. While knocked down this model loses Tough.
- Dual Shot - If a model with Dual Shot uses its Normal Movement to aim, it can make one additional ranged attack this activation.
- He has +1 MAT, RAT, & CMD. He has 5 hitpoints.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Go to Ground (Minifeat) - Once per game, models in this unit can gain cover and immunity to blast damage and will not block LOS for one round. The effect on each model ends after one round or if that model moves or is placed or engaged.
- Granted: Precision Fire - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Precision Fire. (Precision Fire - Models in this unit can reroll ranged attack damage rolls.)
- Tactics: Marksman - Models in this unit gain Marksman. (Marksman - When damaging a warjack/warbeast with a ranged attack, the attacker chooses which column/branch takes the damage. )
- Repeating Long Gun - 14" range, POW 10 gun
- Trench Knife - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon
- Other Factions
- Hearts of Darkness. They can only go in this theme if Sloan is leading the army. They become Infernal models in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance. They become Llaelese Mercenary models in this theme and gain Pathfinder.
- The Kingmaker's Army. They become Mercenary models in this theme and gain Feign Death.
Thoughts on Trencher Long Gunners
Trencher Long Gunners in a nutshell
Trencher Long Gunners are a ranged support unit capable of unleashing enormous volumes of firepower on the enemy. These troops are not cheap at 18 points or 22 with the CA which should definitely be taken.
They are most efficient when aiming to cut down hordes of infantry, with two man CRAs they will reliably hit defense 15 and break armor 18 on average dice. This means they can pretty much slaughter most shield wall infantry. Against more heavily armored units, they are going to suffer, but they will still manage to put in very meaningful damage into the targets. With large CRAs and Marksman they can snipe out systems and branches on warjacks and beasts. However, as effective as this may be, enemies might bait you into using large CRAs to do this because in terms of pure efficiency they probably should not be using too many of their shots on well armored target if it can be helped.
Hopefully you should be able to shoot any melee units threatening these models before they become a problem by taking advantage of your excellent range. Against other ranged units, choose a critical turn and use the Go-To-Ground minifeat to ensure that next turn your Trencher Long Gunners are relatively unscathed by enemy fire.
In context of themes, they will work well with other Trenchers units allowing Commandos and the more versatile infantry to slow the enemy down while they keep pouring on the fire. Anson Hitch allows them to shoot through their own models expanding their LOS. Express Teams can ensure any damage they deal to larger enemies remains. The Patrol Dog ensures the enemy cannot trivially avoid their damage through use of stealth. Maxwell Finn’s veteran leader allows for them to hit even more accurately, although that might borderline on serious overkill.
The important take away is that Trencher Long Gunners have arguably more fire power than any other unit in Cygnar. They are expensive enough that you will have to deal some serious damage.
Combos & Synergies
- Between Precision Fire and Combined Ranged Attack, you can start targeting Warbeasts' spirit or Warjacks' Cortex columns. Completely cripple them by applying Grievous Wounds through a Trencher Express Team or Caine2.
- Finding it hard to get off that 2nd shot? Use them with a Snipe warcaster or Siege2's feat.
- Hitch can, and probably should, hand them Target Priority to ward off any low rolls when using Combined Ranged Attack.
Drawbacks & Downsides
These models are extremely vulnerable to melee. If seriously engaged by enemies, the unit is probably lost.
This unit is strangely vulnerable to covering fire template. An opponent can drop a template straight on top of them forcing them to move making them lose the benefit of the dual shot. If the enemy has access to these abilities, keep spread out enough to avoid losing all your dual shots.
Tricks & Tips
Tactician only works for Trenchers, which can lead to other models blocking their line of sight instead. If you're taking Grenadiers, who are typically further forward due to their shorter range, make sure they are dug in. The larger based model would normally block the Long Gunners' line of sight to small or medium based models - If the Grenadier is dug in, it does not block line of sight.
If your opponent's ranged game is weak and you don’t need to use Go to Ground defensively, or you need to deal enough damage and are desperate enough to need to do it, you can use the minifeat as a means of getting around your own line of sight problems because dug in models do not block it.
Originally released in the Trencher CID (2017.06)
Other Cygnar models
Note to Editors