| Thorn |
Haley's very favorite robot, an artifact from her first days as a warcaster, has been endlessly refitted, rebuilt, and upgraded with the most advanced arc node technology available to Cygnaran military science.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Arc Node
- Bond [Haley] - If this model begins the game in Haley's battlegroup, it is bonded to him/her/them. This model is not considered to be bonded while under your opponent's control. While this model is bonded to Haley and in their control range, Haley can channel spells through it as if it were not engaged.
- Dodge - When an enemy misses this model with an attack at any time except when it is advancing, this model can immediately advance 2" ignoring free strikes.
- Reaction Drive - Thorn can advance 3" once per turn immediately after a spell is arced through him.
- Set Defense - A model in this model's front arc suffers -2 on charge, slam power attack, and impact attack rolls against this model.
- Disruption Spear - 2" reach, P+S 14 melee weapon.
- Shock Shield - 0.5" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon.
- When taken by Haley
- When taken by anyone else
Thoughts on Thorn
Thorn in a nutshell
Thorn is an upgraded Lancer, and does all of its duties plus more ... for a trivial number of extra points. Reaction Drive can change charge vectors and act as a straight threat extender, which you can double up on if you arc spells such as Telekinesis through its Arc Node. Dodge turns it into an utter nuisance, especially when you consider that Set Defense makes it quite hard to hit for most models without boosting.
Its bond with Haley means that her assassination runs can be very hard to stop, particular with Major Victoria Haley and her Telekinesis shenanigans.
Compared to a Lancer, Thorn gains:
- Extra melee hitting power: extra MAT, extra POW, and disruption on its spear.
- Extra mobility: the Reaction Drive and Dodge speed it up and help it get odd places.
- Extra survivability: Dodge means that if anyone misses an attack in melee against it it just walks out of combat and the other attacks are wasted.
Combos & Synergies
- Before Theme forces started to dominate the game, Thorn was a no-brainer "upgrade" for anyone's Lancer who wanted to arc a spell with any sort of regularity. If you still happen to play outside theme forces, that is still true.
- If you play theme forces, Thorn can work well with any iteration of Victoria Haley. Since it can channel even when engaged, almost any of their spells, particularly the offensive ones, are a serious threat to the enemy.
- Haley2 and Haley3 - DEF buffs increase the chance of activating Dodge.
- Consider casting Evasive Action from Arlan. If the enemy gets a bead on you, Thorn gets its 2" move, whether or not they'll hit.
- Telekinesis and Domination can foul up any attempts by enemy Warjacks to stand in your way.
- As ever, Arcane Shield is a good pick. Thorn is a big and important target in Haley's battlegroup.
- Strangewayes - Free Focus is always nice, but the more interesting tool in his box is Evasive Action. Using it in conjunction with Dodge will ensure that if the enemy fires at Thorn, you get to move, no matter if they hit or miss.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It is disallowed in the theme forces for everyone but Haley. Outside themes, when compared to a Lancer, there are virtually no downsides.
Tricks & Tips
- It is one of only two non-warcaster models in faction with straight disruption (the other being the lightning pod on the stormwall). All the other sources are critical disruption. Use this to your advantage.
- Reaction Drive has a few uses:
- Move it forward, arc a spell through it then use the move to get out of charge range or into a defensive position.
- Arc a spell through it first and use it as a threat extender for Thorn's own charge or to arc a further spell through it that has a shorter range.
- Haley2 in particular can do all of this while Thorn is engaged, potentially putting it deep into enemy lines.
- Even if your Warcaster doesn't have any offensive spells you want to cast, Arcing a support spell through Thorn onto a friendly unit or even Thorn itself is a good way to activate Reaction Drive.
- Arcing Telekinesis adds 5" to its movement between the two effects. In a straight line, it can engage nearly any unit, even cavalry from outside of their threat range.
- Watch out for targeted system destruction; models with the Marksman/Precision Strike rule will decrease the usefulness of Thorn pretty fast, and it usually operates too forward to enjoy the support of the repair crews.
- Haley3's time echoes don't benefit from Thorn's bond or Reaction Drive. (See #Rules Clarifications).
- Released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
Other Cygnar models
Caster - Attack roll
Stealth - It affects both LOS and the attack roll