Theme - Warriors of the Old Faith
|| Theme - Warriors of the Old Faith |
Khador & Protectorate Theme Force
Evil is best only by good, or so believe the followers of Menoth who have united in their devotion to face the Infernal invasion. And with the full conviction of their beliefs and the might of two nations, powerful Menites gather together to prove that faith and the will of the Creator can deny even evils that were foolishly invited to sow the souls of the innocent. They are certain none can prevail if they can’t.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Warriors of the Old Faith
- 3 Other
An army made use the Warriors of the Old Faith theme force can include only the following models:
- Khador cavalry warcasters
- Protectorate cavalry warcasters
- Non-character Khador warjacks
- Non-character Protectorate warjacks
- Khador cavalry models/units
- Protectorate cavalry models/units
- Paladin units/solos
- Choir of Menoth units
- Kossite Woodsmen units
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- Manhunter solos
- Menite Archon solos
- Vassal solos
- Yuri the Axe
- War Dog solos
- Wrack solos
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.08 (Edit)
- Note: - You can take a warcaster that doesn't normally belong to your Faction.
- All non-character Khador and Protectorate warjacks
- Note: - Warcasters can take any mix of warjacks they like, regardless of their original Faction.
- Character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Choir of Menoth
- Exemplar Vengers
- Flame Bringers
- Greylord Outriders
- Iron Fang Uhlans
- Kossite Woodsmen
- Initiates of the Order of the Wall
- Champion of the Order of the Wall
- Hand of Silence
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- High Exemplar Gravus
- High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
- Man-o-War Drakhun
- Menite Archon
- Paladin of the Order of the Wall
- Uhlan Kovnik Markov
- Vassal of Menoth
- Vassal Mechanik
- Yuri the Axe
- War Dog - (Warcaster attachment)
- None (other than those listed above)
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- Two Vassal solos
- One other small- or medium-based solo
- All models in an army made using this theme force are considered to be both Khadoran and Protectorate models.
- Note: This means Protectorate do get access to Khador warcasters, and vice versa.
- Cavalry models in this army gain Line Breaker.
- Line Breaker - This model gets an extra die on impact attack rolls.
- You can reroll your starting roll for the game. Your starting game roll can be rerolled only once as a result of this special rule.
2019.07 Theme released
Thoughts on Warriors of the Old Faith
New model - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Oblivion's Theme Faction mashup
The 3 themes released in Oblivion mixes up Factions in a new way, so here's a quick recap of what it means in terms of list pairings: [Show/Hide]
Warriors of the Old Faith in a Nutshell
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, 'ere the sun rises!
WotOF is a dual-faction theme, designed to use the light and heavy cavalry of both the Khadoran and Menite force, united under a single banner. You will also get various support elements from both sides (the Choir of Menoth and the Initiates of the Order of the Wall among them), as well as all the cavalry-battle engines. This is an elite force with a relatively small model count, which nevertheless looks impressive on the table. If you ever dreamed about massed cavalries, spiked pommels and mighty lances flashing in the sunlight, before thundering down onto the enemy's ranks, this theme got you covered.
The cost ($) of horses.
- The price of cavalry models is moderately high, making this an expensive force to collect. On the other hand, their points cost is also high so at least you don't need to buy a swarm of them to fill a 75 point list. Also, several models are direct-only, making their acquirement even more difficult.
Not beginner-friendly in terms of buying models
- Beginners should refrain from this theme unless they plan on collecting both Khador AND Protectorate. If this is your first theme into the game, chances are you will end up with two half-armies that are not compatible with other 75 pts theme in either faction. It is more for people who already own one or both faction(s), and need only a few models (couple of jacks and casters) to expand their already existing collection.
Lack of in-faction support models.
- All the horsemen have their respective "home theme force" where they excel. In this one you must omit some really valuable support models in exchange for Line Breaker. For example, Iron Fang Uhlans could really enjoy the presence of both Sofia, or the Iron Fang Kovnik, but none of them are available here.
- There's only 4 casters in this theme (so far), so it will rarely take enemies by surprise.
Inherited drawbacks of the cavalry models
- All those horses are large-based models, that can lead to some positioning difficulties if you want to make all your attacks connect. Also, you must rely on terrain as much as possible to avoid being shot off the board by the enemy's gunline. Huge based models like Reznik2 and the battle engines suffer even more (the former only from the magical ranged attacks).
- Charge denial, as well as fast jamming infantries can cause a lot of headache for your units. Also, your ranged presence is not something to write home about.
Good early purchases
The Initiates as well as the Choir are almost mandatory choices.
Starting with a 25 point force
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, it is strongly advised to buy models from either Khador or Protectorate, not both. This is so when you build your second list which isn't WotOF, you have a collection of models that still work together. Hence, the following 25 pts examples are mono-faction builds instead of Menite-Khador mixtures.
Pure Menite build:
Pure Khadoran build:
- Judicator - You can replicate the High Reclaimer's infamous Hand of Fate + Reliquary combo on this colossal, while Infernal Machine gives a well-deserved speed buff for heavy hitter to keep up with the rest of your army (just don't forget to apply the Choir's hymns first). Beside the Choir you may also want the Menite Archon as damage buff onto those flamers.
- Greylord Outriders - If you don't take Vengers, this list can be low on magical damage sources, making it an uphill battle against Incorporeal solos. Outriders, especially under HoF can solve this problem.
- Flame Bringers - They have natural Parry and Sidestep, but Sprint adds an extra Dash (pun intended) to their threat under Vlad's feat. They are able to clear lots of chaff, which is important in a list that is low on model count by design.
- Wracks and Vassals - They are there to help Vlad's focus efficiency, which is great for him as he has to cast Dash (special mention here for being able to Dash the Hermit), allocate, keep up spells, and still probably wants to go to town himself, too. Being able to Enliven a Khador heavy such as the Spriggan is also very cute.
- Spriggan - helps stripping stealth if you don't want to rely on Menite spray weapons.
- Fenris, as always, is a good combo with Vladimir3. The difference now is, that Vladimir can take him outside of Wolves of Winter. Or put another way, Vladimir can have the army he wants and then add Fenris to it.
- Fenris - He really likes Incite on his targets.
- Man o War Drakhun - Feora needs to play close to the frontline to cast Incite. A few, counter-charging solo may force the enemy to think twice before charging her.
- War Dog - The only attachment you can get, and he comes quite handy when you need Parry to safely apply fire from Flame Trail.
Other Faction models/themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]