Theme - The Faithful Masses
| Theme - The Faithful Masses |
The strength of the Protectorate of Menoth is not restricted to its foundries and garrisons, but is found in the hearts and souls of the numberless devotees to its faith. Every person who fears and serves the Creator of Man is another potential soldier to defend the theocracy. Pious citizen soldiers minimally trained as militia often go to battle accompanied by more elite lesser martial orders, such as the Paladins of the Order of the Wall and the Allegiants of the Order of the Fist, who consider their service a life’s calling. These forces are often joined by members of the ominous Reclaimant Order, who protect the bodies and spirits of the faithful masses as they fight in Menoth’s name.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on The Faithful Masses
- 3 Caster Thoughts
- 4 Other
An army made using the The Faithful Masses theme force can include only the following Protectorate models:
- Protectorate warcasters
- Non-character warjacks
- Avatar of Menoth
- Deliverer models/units
- Idrian models/units
- Paladin models/units
- Reclaimer models/units
- Vassal models/units
- Zealot models/units
- Choir of Menoth units
- Allegiant of the Order of the Fist solos
- Covenant of Menoth
- Hierophant solos
- Initiate Tristan Durant
- Menite Archon solos
- Wrack solos
- Protectorate structures
- This army can also include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for the Protectorate.
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
- All Protectorate warcasters
- All non-character Protectorate warjacks
- Avatar of Menoth
- Other character warjacks can be taken, but only if have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Choir of Menoth
- Deliverer Skyhammers
- Deliverer Sunburst Crew
- Holy Zealots
- Idrian Skirmishers (★)
- Initiates of the Order of the Wall
- Allegiant of the Order of the Fist
- Covenant of Menoth
- Deliverer Arms Master
- Durant1 - ("Junior" Warcaster)
- Paladin of the Order of the Wall
- Champion of the Order of the Wall
- High Paladin Dartan Vilmon
- Reclaimer Gatekeeper - ('Jack Marshal)
- Hand of Silence
- Hierophant - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Menite Archon (★)
- Vassal of Menoth
- Vassal Mechanik
- Up to one solo
- Up to one unit
(★) Because Idrians and the Archon are specifically allowed in this theme, they don't use up your Mercenary slot.
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Initiates of the Wall unit
- One Protectorate CA
- Two Reclaimer Gatekeeper solos
- Two Vassal solos
- One other small- or medium-based Protectorate solo
- Protectorate heavy warjacks and colossals in this army gain Hand of Vengeance.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Menite Archon added to the list of allowed models.
- Attendant Priest removed from the list of allowed models
- Weapon crew no longer allowed as a freebie. Vassals and Gatekeepers can now be taken as multiple freebies.
- Lost the benefit that gave the theme a wall template
Thoughts on The Faithful Masses
The Faithful Masses in a nutshell
Cheap infantry, Paladins, and warjack support. Your basic units might have trouble breaking ARM, but your Paladins are weapon masters, and Hand of Vengeance makes the cheap Crusader into an ultra-effective beatstick. Mercenary units can count toward free points in Faithful Masses (see the errata at the bottom of the article) so feel free to dip in for the best units to fit your list.
The theme encourages you to take chaff units that will die **en masse** around your warjacks to increase their efficiency. Since only heavy warjacks receive the benefit, there's a good chance that they can be left behind by your faster infantry.
"Victim Stat" Troops
The infantry unit options in The Faithful Masses are very low ARM and might have problems in melee. Bring Paladin solos and warjacks for ARM cracking, or a Mercenary unit like Horgenhold Forge Guard.
Expensive models ($)
Many models in this theme date way back to the start of Warmachine in 2003, and are still only available as metal models. They have quite a high dollars-to-points ratio making this an expensive theme to collect.
List Building Tips
Infantry (Idrians, Zealots and Skyhammers) are the key to many Faithful Masses lists. Two or three Jacks with the rest of the list filled out with Infantry and Paladins of the Wall seems to be common build.
The whole slew of Paladins is available in theme and they are one of its main selling points.
- Paladin of the Order of the Wall are your tough to remove contesting solos, that are made better by the presence of their brothers.
- High Paladin Dartan Vilmon provides your caster with a shield guard, gives you a solo to score flags, and give other Paladins in your army Righteous Vengeance, effectively doubling their number of attacks per turn or giving them a threat extension.
- Champion of the Order of the Wall are one of the toughest solos in the faction, if not the game. They are flexible, being able to hold the line, contest, or jam, given their speed. Popularly combined with the Harbinger of Menoth due to Matyrdom. They also grant Paladins Girded, which means High Paladin Dartan Vilmon can stand next to your caster to make them blast immune, while also being a durable Shield Guard.
- Initiates of the Order of the Wall are a solid anvil for the list and provide excellent protection against shooting and control effects while in a triangle. Since they can be taken as a free option, there's really no reason **not** to take three in every list you make.
- The Menite Archon is a durable, powerful beatstick solo who benefits greatly from warrior models dying around it and is able to act independently from the warcaster. With proper placement, Ashen Veil can benefit other models, bringing their DEF up to respectable numbers. Additionally, it has one of the few sources of Grievous Wounds in-faction, making it invaluable to putting down Tough troops or stopping warbeasts from healing.
- The Allegiant of the Order of the Fist are cheap solos with 2 Weapon Master attacks and can reach incredibly high DEF with Shifting Sands. Very little can tilt an opponent like them sending in warjack/warbeast to get rid of one, boosting an attack, missing, and having the monk walk away.
- The Avatar of Menoth can find a home here, as many of the casters that normally want to run infantry don't have the focus to spare for many Warjacks and the Avatar makes his own. Hand of Vengeance can give him a caster-independent buff to both MAT and damage, and with a Vassal to top him off and the Choir to sing Hymn of Battle, there is very little he will not be able to kill in an activation.
- Sanctifier Warjacks are able to reach POW 20 with Hand of Vengeance and the Choir, and enough infantry will be dying that your caster will rarely have to fuel them. The Sanctifier's Exorcist aura also gives the non-magical weapons of the Faithful Masses game against Incorporeal models and lists like the Ghost Fleet.
- If you're looking for cheap warjacks to fill your warcasters WJP, the Crusader is a great choice. It's an inexpensive heavy that turns into a MAT 8 POW 20 beatstick independent of Choir or warcaster buffs - there's very little in any other faction that can compare to that kind of cost-efficiency.
As for Mercenaries
- Idrian Skirmishers are partisans and are probably the best 10 man unit you will find in this theme.
- Rhupert supports any and all units equally.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's not really that newbie friendly because it's full of expensive metal models, and to offset that cost it uses the cheap battlebox contents (and the Protectorate battlebox is considered to be a "not great" investment in the long run).
- Minimum unit of Choir of Menoth 
- Deliverer Sunburst Crew 
- Max unit of Holy Zealots plus thier CA 
He works well due to Hand of Vengeance giving his warjacks the offensive buff he lacks. Paladins also benefit greatly from Deceleration.
He makes models in Faithful Masses sing (although he does that for everything). Eye of Menoth is great for every model, Vision on your solos (Paladins and Allegiance) make them incredibly annoying to remove, and he loves having a wall to protect his old man self. Hand of Vengeance, Eye of Menoth, and the Choir can make a Crusader MAT 9 POW 23, easily handling anything short of a Colossal.
This is her favorite theme due to access to Paladins and Allegiants of the Fist, making them even more obnoxious to remove. The Menite Archon can't be Martyred, but benefits greatly from Awe and Crusader's Call. The Initiates of the Order of the Wall should be taken at max FA, due to being hard to dislodge with Martyrdom and shoring up her personal weakness against shooting.
Although she was designed for Exemplars, she can run Faithful Masses fairly well. Rock Wall combined with the one granted from the theme allows you a great deal of terrain control, and every model in her army benefits from Dash, Positive Charge, and her feat.
He loves gun-heavy Faithful Masses lists due to Spellpiercer negating buffs and allowing them to hit Incorporeal models. He likes Hand of Vengeance on warjacks, and when combined with Boundless Charge and Curse makes them accurate, hard-hitting missiles.
She works great with Zealots, Idrians and Paladins; the additional non-linear movement provided by her feat combined with Righteous Vengeance makes your knights slippery and agile. Occultation goes a long way toward keeping your squishier infantry safe from shooting.
He can run a mean double-Zealot force, giving one unit Defender's Ward to tarpit enemy models and the other unit Penitence to kill off enemy single-wound infantry. True Path speeds any infantry up, and his feat protects infantry, perfect for an infantry-heavy force. Hand of Vengeance provides a damage buff that he does not bring himself.
Released in the Xmas CID (2017.01)
Other Protectorate models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]