Theme - Storm Division
| Theme - Storm Division |
Cygnar’s Storm Division is an autonomous military force that delivers the flash of lightning and the roll of thunder to the battlefields of Immoren. The division couples the latest voltaic weaponry and hardware produced by the Cygnaran Armory with the service of skilled soldiers. More Storm Knights fight with the Storm Division than with any other force in Cygnar, and with the aid of accomplished stormsmiths these elite warriors make up a highly mobile army capable of bringing the fury of the storm to Cygnar’s enemies.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Caster Thoughts
- 4 Other
|An army made using the Storm Division theme force can include only the following Cygnar models:|
Full model list
The models allowed in Storm Division are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2017.09 (Edit)
(★) Because these Savio is specifically allowed in this theme, he doesn't use up your Mercenary slot.
|No changes since 2017.09|
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Storm Division in a nutshell
Do you like Storm Knights or Stormsmiths? Well, good news! This is the theme for you. If you intend to maximise the benefits from the theme, you are likely to have quite a strong melee force if you're picking Cygnar's best units (by which I mean Storm Lances).
- Every friendly Faction model is safe from your electro leaps and lightnings - worry not of shooting near your repair crews.
- Most of your troops sport decently high accuracy and damage.
- Cygnar's low ARM casters are protected from Electro-Leap lightning shenanigans.
Theme Weaknesses & Mitigating them
- Pathfinder is quite limited without. For an army that can skew towards melee quite easily, this can be a big issue. Your only way to grant Pathfinder in this theme is via Warcasters or your single Mercenary Solo:
- Debatable usefulness of the theme benefits
- A large amount of available models already have immunity for electricity, meaning that this perk usually affects your battlegroup, most of your chosen Warcasters, your mechanics and a handful of support solos
- Your mercenary solos are not safe from lightnings - and neither the merc units, unless you added Murdoch. Keep that in mind if you sent an important support solo within arcing range.
- If you don't use Stormbaldes, the other benefit is pretty much wasted, and they - though decent on their own - are far from auto-include.
- Being an army of elite soldiers typically means you might have a lowish model count and generally low defensive scores on your infantry.
- Protect your investment of expensive elite soldiers with abilities that improve their armor.
- With the 2018.06 errata you cannot use your so-far signature "Spark Node" trick (i.e. shooting a lightning-immune model in the back to bounce electro leap to your intended target). Also, all of your in-faction models are unable to arc lightning into the enemy - even if in off-theme you would be able to pull off this trick.
List Building Advice
- Each maximum unit of Storm Lances grants you a free model straight away.
- This also means that including a Stormblade Captain is much easier since he can be free!
- Speaking of the Stormblade Captain - if you favor Storm Knights, his Tactician rule makes like a lot easier for getting your different units into place.
- Taking a Journeyman Warcaster is almost always worth it. Both Stormblade Infantry and Storm Lances have decent armor that can be made pretty great by the inclusion of Arcane Shield.
- It's all about the lightning, so bringing models such as the Firefly to increase your damage output is a good idea.
- The highest number of free models you can get in an average 75pt list is 3.
- It's quite achievable if you are taking two units of Storm Lances and taking a Stormblade unit with Unit Attachment and Weapon Attachments, for example.
- As a result, the highest number of free points you can get is 16 - two 5pt solos and Acosta.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Stormblade Infantry with CA 
She has a great spell list for Storm Division
- Stormblades make particularly good use of Dauntless Resolve because they cannot be knocked down the turn they use Iron Zeal making them potentially very difficult to kill.
- Onslaught can provide the faction wide pathfinder you need to deliver your powerful melee attacks across the battlefield.
- Her feat Thundering Rage heavily amps up the power your Stormknights already powerful attacks. It should allow you to crack some very hard armor skews.
- Being a Stormknight herself, she will benefit from Laddermore or any Stormblade Captains you include.
He favors melee oriented gameplay making him good for Storm Division.
- Deflection can make Stormknight hard to kill at range with small arms fire.
- Stormknights are very grateful recipients of Strkyer 2's feat. The extra movement and attack are very powerful seeing as they operate off of their powerful attacks.
She has a wide set of tools allowing the Storm Division to operate in a wide number of matches.
- Ghost Walk and Revive on Haley Future ae excellent on Stormlances. They are absolutely worth reviving and can use the Ghostly to disengage using reposition without risking free strikes.
Armor skew list with ability to remove single heavy targets and annihilate infantry
- Playing the new and improved storm strider in a pair with a hurricane can be incredibly durable especially with invincibility with two of them being ARM:27, plus with fireflies and the abilities on storm strider the electrical guns are accurate and can crack armor rather effectively.
- Released near the start of Mk3 (2016)
- This is Lord Commander Stryker's personal division.
- In Mk2, his Elite Cadre benefit for Stormblade Infantry was Advance Move. It seems like he's taught that trick to all of the Stormblades at this point in time!
Other Cygnar themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Slaughter Fleet Raiders [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]