An army made using the Soldiers of Fortune theme force can include only the following Mercenary models:
Full Model List
The models allowed in Soldiers of Fortune
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
- All Mercenary warcasters, except the Cephalyx ones.
- All non-character Mercenary warjacks,
- Other character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- Solos in this army gain Mark Target.
- Mark Target - Other friendly Faction models gain +2 to ranged attack rolls if they target an enemy within 5" of this model and in its LOS. If the model with Mark Target is a member of a unit, it must be in formation to grant this bonus.
- Steelhead cavalry models in this army gain Bulldoze.
- Bulldoze - When this model is B2B with an enemy model during its Normal Movement, it can push that model up to 2" directly away from it. A model can be pushed by Bulldoze only once per turn. Bulldoze has no effect when this model makes a trample power attack.
- If Ace is included in this army it is a Mercenary warjack instead of a Cygnar warjack.
- Note: Only Caine3 can take Ace
Thoughts on Soldiers of Fortune
Soldiers of Fortune in a nutshell
The Soldiers of Fortune theme force allows you to construct an army composed almost entirely of Steelhead models plus a smattering of non-Steelhead solos (and of course, warjacks). Lists constructed in this theme generally revolve very heavily around either version of Alexia1 or 2, perhaps intentionally.
It also places a heavy emphasis on making the artillery pieces compelling choices. For example, a RAT 5 Volley Gun shooting at a large base model that aims, has Mark the Target, Veteran Leader from the Gunner and Money Shot from Damiano is RAT 12, POW 16 once you stack all the buffs.
Mark Target works on every ranged attack as well so it's good for warjacks and Steelhead Riflemen or whatever else has a gun.
Bulldoze on cavalry provides some serious gotcha potential and threat extension. It's far stronger than it sounds.
This theme is the only place you can field Rocinante without Damiano, and Rocinante is fantastic.
This theme is most notable for being the only theme where Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire (Alexia2) is allowed as a free model, and it is likely she will be in every SOF army unless that army is built for Alexia1 instead. Between Alexia2, Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios, and Stannis Brocker you can get 21 points for free in a 75 point list. The highest achievable total.
The main thing the Steelhead theme lacks is the merc ARM fixers other than Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist with rust bombs, and Alexia's Thrall Warriors are only POW 10. Nevertheless, this theme will likely have trouble with extremely high ARM skews unless you bring Damiano or Fiona, though such armies are fairly rare because skewing ARM does not work that well as a strategy.
List Building Tips
There are essentially three ways to build a Soldiers of Fortune force.
The first is to spam as many Steelhead Halberdiers as you can, bring Alexia1, Stannis, Verendrye, Rhupert and an Arcanist and play a scenario-based recursive jam game with Magnus the Warlord (Magnus2) or Gorten Grundback where your Steelheads come back both as skeletons and new Steelheads.
The second is to play a balanced mix of Cavalry, Halberdiers and artillery backed up by Alexia2, Verendrye, Stannis, the Arcanist, Ironhead and Gunner. Verendrye brings back Steelhead models which allows you to double down on recursion from Alexia2. The Verendrye/Alexia2 interaction is the core of what the list does. Alexia's thralls provide ARM cracking, scenario presence without having to give anything up, and they are also handy Mark the Target bots.
The casters that run this type of army fairly well are Captain Damiano, Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter Captain Rahera, Fiona the Black and Durgen Madhammer. Damiano provides Money Shot and if you bring Rhupert and Verendrye, will have a Tough, no Knockdown, DEF 15 unit of Halberdiers that come back. Crosse2 loves Halberdiers or even Riflemen that come back because of his Lifebound spell, and his feat delivers the army combined with the Girded Ironheads to stop blasts. Durgen likes the cheap bodies for Primed and there is plenty of artillery to provide blasts for his feat turn.
For what it's worth, Caine3 as a mercenary caster will be at his best in a Halberdier-heavy army with Alexia2 where he can get lots of mileage out of Calamity and get moved back to safety by the Ironhead.
The third list type is to play Jack-heavy in this theme and take advantage of the Arcanist and Ironheads plus Mark the Target to make your Jacks more accurate. Ossrum and Magnus2 would play this style better than the others.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
As discussed above, the best casters in this theme are Damiano, Magnus2, Crosse2, Ossrum, Durgen and Gorten. While it has something to offer the likes of Ashlynn, Macbain, Shae, Blaize, Bart, Rahera and Fiona, they have better options in other themes. Caine3 and Magnus1 are pretty bad wherever you take them, but this is probably their best theme option for what it's worth.
Other Mercenary Models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
|| Madelyn Corbeau - Reinholdt - Wyshnalyrr
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire (2) -
Alexia, The Undying (3) -
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella, Duchess of Dread -
Bloody Bradigan -
Boomhowler, Solo Artist -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist -
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (1) -
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (2) -
Eiryss, Fortune Hunter of Ios (4) -
First Mate Hawk -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Gastone Crosse -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (1) -
Gorman the Mad (2) -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Gudrun the Wanderer -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Viktor Pendrake -
Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
|| Hammerfall Siege Crawler
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2019.09
Rules Clarification : Mark Target (Edit)
- The model with the Mark Target rule needs to have the target in LOS for anyone to benefit. And within 5", of course. (Infernal Ruling)
- And the model actually making the attack also has to have the target in LOS in order to, you know, target it.
Rules Clarification: : Bulldoze (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
People think Bulldoze works like a bowling ball hitting tenpins.
But this is wrong because the models haven't been moved DIRECTLY away.
Whereas if you move models DIRECTLY away, you bulldoze the first guy okay, but then the next one's path is blocked (shown in red), and you get stuck.
Bulldoze - General
- Models are pushed directly away from you at the point of contact. Some players do this incorrectly, refer to the section on moving models, below.
- You cannot cast spells or use any other "any time" abilities when you 'stop' to resolve the Bulldoze movement. It's just a pause, not a stop.
- The size of the Bulldozer vs the Bulldozed does not matter. A small model bulldozes a large model just fine. (Just don't expect to move a Colossal etc.)
- Bulldoze only works during your Normal Movement. This includes full advances, runs, charges, and slams, but doesn't include stuff like Reposition or Energizer.
- You can't make free strikes against models you Bulldoze (because for them it is involuntary movement).
- Enemy models with 2" melee range will still engage you after being bulldozed. Because they will be exactly 2" away and thus still within 2".
- An enemy model can only be pushed once by the Bulldozer, but if you have multiple Bulldozer models then you could push the same enemy multiple times.
- If you contact a model you want to Bulldoze while overlapping another model or an obstacle, then you can "pause" on top of that other model/obstacle while resolving the Bulldoze, then continue your movement off the other model/obstacle. (Locked thread)
Bulldoze - Charges / Slams
- If you attempt to Bulldoze a model out of your charge lane but it does not move far enough, you can't Bulldoze again. You will continue your charge, contact it again, and stop.
- You can use Bulldoze to get the charge bonus against models between 1 and 3" away. Simply move into B2B, bulldoze them 2" to make some more room, then you can move 2" further forward to get to the "moved at least 3 inches" requirement.
- Similarly for Slams vs models within 1-3".
- If you Bulldoze your charge target out of your melee range, this doesn't break the "once in your melee range the target must stay in your melee range" rule. Bulldoze is an exception. (Infernal Ruling)
Bulldoze - Moving the models
A lot of people think they can bulldoze straight through the enemy lines, like shown on Image A. But what actually happens is more like Image B. This is due to 3 important factors you need to apply:
- Bulldoze pushes models directly away from your base. Not at an angle. Directly. Away.
- If there is a model behind the bulldozed model, the model will STOP.
- And in this situation, a model beside the pushed model is effectively behind it unless you're pushing at a perfect tangent.
- A model can be pushed only one time via Bulldoze.
Push - General
- Pushed models do not change their facing.
- Pushed models move at half rate through difficult terrain. Also, Pathfinder doesn't apply during pushes.
- Pushed models stop if they contact anything - a model of any size, or any obstacles or obstructions.
- You don't get free strikes against pushed models, because it is "involuntary movement" and therefore does not count as an advance.
- Pushed models suffer the effects of anything they move through (such as acid clouds).
- If you use a Push vs a charging model (via a free strike for example), this will stop the charge movement (refer core rulebook).
- However, if the pushed model is in melee range of its charge target after the push, then it is considered a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- In that scenario, you measure whether the charging model moved 3" or less excluding the push distance. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
- You cannot use the theme benefit to reroll if it is a draw. Instead both players reroll until there is a loser, and then the loser can use their reroll benefit (if they have it). (Infernal Ruling)
- If both players have a reroll, first the original loser uses their reroll.
- If the original loser still loses, fine.
- If the original loser now wins, the other player can use their reroll.
- If it is now a draw, both players reroll until there is a loser. Then the player that hasn't used their theme benefit reroll can still use it, if they want.
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
- A warjack/warbeast with a bond can always be included in a theme force, whether or not they're in the list of allowed models, but only if they're controlled by that bonded model.
- This applies even if that bonded model isn't a full warcaster/warlock (changed as of 2018.06).
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
- If your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- There is a bug in Warroom that allows you to not only take one Merc solo/unit, but the entire FA of that Merc solo/unit. It's a bug.
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
- If the theme force has the Partisan model on the list of allowed models, then it doesn't use up your "Up to one mercenary" slot, and so you can take the full FA plus another mercenary. Example: Cephalyx in Black Industries or Kayazy in Jaws of the Wolf. (Infernal Ruling)
- If the Partisan isn't on the list, it does use up your "Up to one mercenary" slot, and you can only take one. (There is a known bug in Warroom that allows you to take the full FA.)
- Whether you used option 1 or 2 above, once they're in your theme force they count as a Faction model and so can be taken as a Requistion Option (if they fit the Requistion description). For instance, Eiryss1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
- Some themes include a benefit that says "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model instead of a Mercenary model". For example Greygore in Kriel Company.
In this case, the mercenary model has effectively gained Partisan and is subject to the FA limits described above. To reiterate:
- If that Merc is in the list of allowed models allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as Order of Illumination Resolutes in Heavy Metal), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- Adding a Ranking Officer to a Merc unit doesn't increase the number of Merc units you can take.
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
- You can choose the same Requisition option as many times as you like, as long as it doesn't put you over a FA limit.
- You can't mix and match models from different options. Say one option allows 3 Machine Wraiths and another allows 3 Necrotechs. You can't use your Requisition Point to get 2 Wraiths and 1 Necrotech.
- If you have an option that allows one other solo, you can't use it to get something already on the list. For instance, Ghost Fleet allows 3 Misery Cages (which are FA 4) for one Requistion Point, and it allows 1 other solo. That "other solo" can't be a 4th Cage.
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
- If your theme only allows one merc solo, you can't have one in your main list and a different one in your specialists.
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
- If a unit is allowed in a theme, any-and-all of its attachments are allowed too. Exception: Ranking Officers are not allowed unless explicitily mentioned.
- If the theme force gives a benefit to a specific unit, any-and-all attachments to that unit will benefit too. Even if it is a "generic" attachment like the Void Leech. (Infernal Ruling)
For example, a Trollkin Sorcerer will gain Serenity if its attached to a Dhunian Knot unit in a Power of Dhunia theme force.
- If your theme allows "3 weapon attachments" as a freebie, you can spread them into different units.
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
- Theme force benefits are applied when you construct your list and models keep the benefit for the whole game. You don't gain/lose theme benefits due to in-game changes.
Also, if you put a new model into play midgame, they immediately gain any relevant benefits too. (Infernal Ruling)
- For example, Scourge of the Broken Coast gives Dodge to "models in the army." If your opponent takes control of one of them, it keeps Dodge even though it's currently not "in the army".
- For example, Storm Division gives lightning immunity to "Cygnar models in the army." If you include a Mercenary unit with a Ranking Officer, they will get the theme benefit and also keep it even after the Ranking Officer dies.
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
- The entry which allows "Cephalyx models/units" only applies to Partisan Cephalyx. That's because the theme's rules start off with "this army can only include the following Cryx models". Partisan Cephalyx are the only ones that fill that condition.
- The Cephalyx Agitator also works for Cryx and can go in Black Industries but, because it is not a Partisan, it will use up your Mercenary solo slot.
- (Infernal Ruling)
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
- You can take any number of Mercenary jacks. You can also select two additional jacks from Khador and Cygnar in any combination you like. Character warjacks with a bond don't count against this limit of 2. (Infernal Ruling)
- There is a bug in Warroom that allows you to take two Cygnar and two Khador jacks.
- Morrowan Battle Priest:
- If your warcaster is a Cygnar model that makes every unit you take a Cygnar unit, and Battle Priests can be attached to any unit.
Warroom has a known bug where it doesn't allow this interaction.
- If your warcaster is a Mercenary or Khador model, though, the only units the Battle Priest can attach to are the Morrow ones.
- If you attach the Battle Priest to The Devil's Shadows Mutineers then it can be returned via Blood Bound. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
- The 3rd benefit is "Sac Pawn [Sea Dog trooper]", not just any Sea Dog. (Infernal ruling)
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
- Una1 cannot be taken in this theme (yet) due to the conflict between the theme's "Only Construct warbeasts allowed" and Una1's "Must take warbeasts with flight". There are no construct warbeasts with flight (yet). But if/when there is, then Una1 can be taken in this theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
- Bradigus1 is not legal in this theme. The theme only allows living warbeasts, his rules only allow construct warbeasts, and you can't just 'skip' his battlegroup - you have to spend your warbeast points.
- If you create a new model mid-game (ie with the Well of Orboros and that model can have corpse tokens, that model does not enter play with a corpse. Because it's not the beginning of the game. (Locked thread)
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
- When it comes to other things that alter COST (such as Lamentation), follow basic maths: Double/halve first, then add/subtract.
- Due to the way Tanith's feat is worded, during her feat turn the COST of animi cannot drop below 1. (Infernal Ruling)
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
- If a Construct model loses the Construct advantage mid-game, it keeps the theme benefit anyway. (Infernal Ruling)
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
- Boomhowler uses up your Minion slot. His Fell Calls ability is not enough to make him a "Fell Caller model/unit". (Infernal Ruling)
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]
- If Mosby is attached to a Mercenary weapon crew unit, they would gain 3" reposition and would not lose it if Mosby is no longer in the unit. (Infernal Ruling)
Infernals - Hearts of Darkness [Show/Hide]