Theme - Slaughter Fleet Raiders
| Theme - Slaughter Fleet Raiders |
When the Slaughter Fleet descends on its victims, it disgorges roaring hordes of blighted trollkin and black ogrun hungry for battle and blood. These inhumanly tough warriors form a vanguard for whole crews of Scharde sailors. Together they fall upon unsuspecting ports and coastal communities, putting entire populations to death. The lucky are left to rot on the beach, while the less fortunate fill the bellies of hungry bloodgorgers.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Caster thoughts
- 4 Other
|An army made use the Slaughter Fleet Raiders theme force can include only the following Cryx models:|
Full model list
The models allowed in Slaughter Fleet Raiders are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2019.05 (Edit)
|No changes since 2017.11|
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Slaughter Fleet Raiders in a nutshell
This is the closest thing Cryx has to a fully fledged sub-faction; the theme provides both melee and ranged options for your core units; it has both light, medium, and heavy-ish infantry; and one of the theme benefits affects warjacks without compromising your desire to get maximum free cards. There are many possible army builds within this theme force, and I don't expect it to be "solved" anywhere in the near future.
Slaughter Fleet is an amazing theme and it's very caster-independent, so any caster can play in it. However while every caster can be good in Slaughter Fleet, they're not all good with the same things. Some want to make use of the Gang Fighter benefit, some want to make use of all the good guns, some want to focus on the melee troops, and some want hybrid builds.
Blighted Trollkin Marauders are a universally good unit. They have decent stats all around, CRA, and can get caster-independent Stealth by stacking their Ashen Veil with to Axiara's Prowl. They can work well with anyone.
Bloodgorgers are an amazing anti-infantry unit but they can be vulnerable to guns on the approach, so you're gunna want something to help deliver them. That can be anything from Asphyxious2 clouds, Coven feat or Agathia Feat, an armor buff like Skarre3's Deceleration, or even just Smog Belcher clouds. Do note, that unless you have a damage fixer, Gorgers will struggle into higher armored units.
- Black Ogrun are your heavy-ish infantry, with ARM 15, 5 hitpoints, and tough
- Boarding Party - Decent melee, bad-to-ok gun, and the cheapest unit of multiwound troops in the game. Their preferred targets are heavy infantry and light 'jacks, but really they're in your list to be ablative armour.
- Ironmongers - Support unit that repair warjacks
- Smog Belchers - Ranged unit, good against a variety of things.
- Blighted Trollkin are your medium infantry, with ARM 16, 1 hitpoint, and tough
- Everything else is light infantry
The majority of your attacks sit in the P+S 10 to 12 range, which means you'll struggle vs ARM 18+ targets.
You'll want to bring a caster with ARM debuffs and/or Ragman.
You may also want to put some heavy hitters in your battlegroup, as opposed to utility 'jacks.
The theme encourages you to take units to earn free cards, but another benefit applies only to warjacks. Some players see this as skornegy, and finding the perfect balance between infantry and warjacks can be difficult.
Unlike most themes, the SFR have a starter set. This is a decent purchase as you save about 8% over buying the contents individually. The contents are:
- A 10-man unit of Bloodgorgers plus their character command attachment, Jussika Bloodtongue.
- A 3-man unit of Scharde Dirge Seers
- A 3-man unit of Black Ogrun Iron Mongers
- Gerlak Slaughterborn, a character solo
- A Misery Cage solo
- This adds up to 34 points, plus Gerlak who you'll take as your first free card.
You'll notice that there is no warcaster or warjacks included. Also, aside from the Gorgers and Gerlak, they're all support pieces. And even Gerlak is more of a support piece until the mid-to-late game.
List Building Tips
- Axiara is great and should be your first free card. Her Tactician ability is invaluable, especially if you're running multiple medium-based units (and why wouldn't you?)
- Ragman can be worth consideration due to the theme's lack of models with Dark Shroud. He also benefits from the mass of medium bases blocking LoS to him as well as plentiful access to living Sac Pawns with Tough for when the enemy does get a bead on him.
- A max unit of both Bloodgorgers with Jussika and Trollkin Marauders with Axiara and Gerlak are a potent 41 point package, which can form the heart of any Slaughter Fleet Raiders list.
Gang Fighter shouldn't be underestimated, especially on the cheaper warjacks.
- 7 point Scavenger - If you can trigger Gang and Finisher, it's effectively a MAT 9, P+S 13 weapon master
- 8 point Stalker - MAT 9, P+S 14 with two Blessed attacks. And Jump.
- 10 point Slayer - MAT 9, with two attacks at P+S 18 and one at P+S 14. It's not too shabby for 10 points.
Sure on paper DEF 13, ARM 17 looks terrible becauae lol dietoguns, but on the table your opponent will be distracted by your infantry. If you spam 2 to 4 Slayers you've got a serious threat.
- A Kraken can be screened by all the medium bases and reach over them with it's 4" noodle arms.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Max unit of Blighted Trollkin Marauders 
She can put reinforcements in place for living models, and loves to be screened by lots of medium base models (although LOS to her huge base will never get screened). Dash and Deceleration help her deliver the troops while Draconic Blessing makes the trolls wreck face.
Released in the themeopaclyse (2017.09), updated almost immediately in the Black Fleet CID (2017.11)
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]
Models in this Theme Force
Refer to Category: Slaughter Fleet Raiders