Theme - Llaelese Resistance
| Theme - Llaelese Resistance |
Mercenary Theme Force
The beleaguered soldiers of the Llaelese Resistance are mercenaries only by necessity, taking contracts to help pay the enormous costs of their rebellion. Since the fall of Merywyn, many Llaelese noblemen have helped to fund the Resistance from exile. They leave field operations to individuals like the warcaster Ashlynn d’Elyse, who fights an endless war against the Khadorans who invaded her homeland and killed her father. To some, the likelihood of restoring Llael seems remote, and they have turned their attention to pure vengeance, willing to give their lives to force a reckoning.
- 1 Theme Rules - Remix
- 2 Thoughts on the Llaelese Resistance
- 3 Other
Theme Rules - Remix
An army made use the Llaelese Resistance theme force can include only the following Mercenary models:
- Llaelese warcasters
- Caine’s Hellslingers
- Drake MacBain
- Non-character warjacks
- Llaelese models/units
- MacHorne models/units
- Dannon Blythe & Bull
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI
- Eilish Garrity, the Occultist
- Gobber Tinker solos
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan
- Menite Archon solos
- Morrowan Archon solos
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
- Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker
- Thamarite Archon solos
- This army can also include up to two non-character Crucible Guard units, up to two non-character Cygnar units, up to two non-character Protectorate units.
- These units are considerd to be friendly Llaelese Mercenary models instead of Crucible Guard, Cygnar, or Protectorate units.
- They can include attachments, but cannot include Ranking Officers.
Full Model List
This list was last updated: 2019.11 (Edit)
- All non-character Mercenary warjacks
- Character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Anastasia di Bray
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - ('Jack Marshal)
- Eilish Garrity, the Occultist
- Crosse1 - ("Junior Warcaster")
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
- Major Harrison Gibbs
- Madelyn Corbeau - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Rhupert Carvolo
- Rutger Shaw - ('Jack Marshal)
- Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage
- Menite Archon
- Morrowan Archon
- Thamarite Archon
You can also include up to two non-character units from one of Cygnar, the Protectorate, or the Crucible Guard. (Note: The two units have to be from the same Faction.)
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mages
- Field Mechaniks
- Long Gunner Infantry
- Silver Line Stormguard
- Storm Lances
- Stormblade Infantry
- Stormguard Infantry
- Stormsmith Grenadiers
- Stormsmith Storm Tower
- Sword Knights
- Tempest Blazers
- Trencher Cannon Crew
- Trencher Chain Gun Crew
- Trencher Commandos
- Trencher Express Team
- Trencher Infantry
- Trencher Long Gunners
- Trencher Mechaniks
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One command attachment
- One small- or medium-based Mercenary solo
- If Ace is included, it counts as a friendly Mercenary warjack instead of a Cygnar warjack.
- Note: Only Caine3 can take Ace.
- Gun Mage models in this army gain Sniper
- Llaelese models in this army gain Pathfinder.
- Before models are deployed at the start of the game, you can place a 5" AOE rubble terrain feature anywhere completely within 18" of the rear table edge of your deployment zone. When you deploy your models, you can deploy one small- or medium-based solo completely within the AOE.
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Generic "MacHorne models/units" instead of the specific "Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs".
- Menite Archon, Morrowan Archon, and Thamarite Archon added to the list of allowed models.
- New benefit: Gun Mages get Sniper.
- Kept the old benefits of Pathfinder and Rubble. Although rubble was changed slightly to prevent an Archon deploying in it.
- Freebie options stay the same.
2019.07 Gorman2 released
Thoughts on the Llaelese Resistance
Llaelese Resistance in a nutshell
The Resistance is a very cool theme with excellent benefits, and tons of non-Merc options. Near army-wide pathfinder is outstanding. Sniper on Gun Mages is excellent as well. Having a 5" pile of rubble near the middle of the board to hide out in is extra good.
The force is awaiting more Llaelese releases which may never come. This leaves you light on choices in a manner of speaking. Once you take your two out of faction picks, you only have Archons, Thorn Gun Mages, Devil Dogs, or Blythe and Bull to round things out. You could fill points with warjacks, however none of the four casters is a jack caster with the exception of Caine3, and he does not do well with merc warjacks. For this reason, most Llaelese armies are archon-heavy. Think four.
None of the Resistance casters are powerhouses. Both Ashlynns are solid, but Crosse2 is fairly average, Macbain is crippled by rampant anti-healing and Caine3 is bottom tier.
Few In-Faction options
Very limited range of warcasters, Merc units, and Merc warjacks to choose from.
Popular Merc models such as Steelhead Halberdiers, Kayazy Eliminators, Aiyana and Holt, Orin Midwinter, Lanyssa Ryssyl and Eiryss1 are not allowed.
The most expensive solos you can get for free in the list are five points (Eilish Garrity, the Occultist, Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage) and there are only a few six point attachments available. In comparison, other merc themes often get high-value solos for free (such as Stannis Brocker, Alexia2, and Eiryss1 who are all seven points).
Few Magic Weapons
List Building Tips
If you're trying to maximise points the most expensive free models you can get are the command attachments for Trencher Infantry, Stormblade Infantry, or Exemplar Cinerators; or Eilish and Taryn. You get free points for solos too, so you can get yourself expensive 5 points solos and UAs for free and then still take the cheaper but more essential 4 point solos.
The problem with giving list-building tips is that the lists that can be created are exceptionally varied and the casters are extremely different; Crosse2 wants some heavy infantry and some cannon fodder, Caine3 mostly shows up in this list to pick up a Choir of Menoth, while Ashlynn leverages her Veteran Leader and shoots a whole lot of things.
- Major Harrison Gibbs is the cornerstone of any Resistance list due to his Leadership bubble.
- Ragman should also be in any Resistance army because he's your main ARM debuff. Also, with Gibbs' help, he can walk 9" and still apply Death Field.
- Gorman - Your other ARM debuff. He can also contribute to a cloudwall with Repo.
- Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs - While undoubtedly overcosted and squishy, everyone of them is a knockdown on a stick with their nets. They need serious help with delivery, which can be provided for them in this theme. Crosse can put Lifebound on the so the enemy will not want to kill them, while Ashlynn can just down the enemy in Rocketmen so they will be delivered anyway.
- Dannon Blythe & Bull - As mentioned, Kayazy girls are not in this theme. These two are the best (and only) substitute you will find.
- Thorn Gun Mages with Pathfinder are able to make good use of their Prowl ability, which helps justify their high cost. Also, as mentioned above they are one of your few sources for magic weapons and thunderbolt shots can help you with assassinations and scenario likewise.
- Taryn also helps with with assassinations thanks to shadow fire. The black penny/sniper combination is of course excellent and at five points he's an excellent free model choice.
- Eilish is the joint most expensive free model, and has a very useful anti-magic toolkit that makes him a near-auto-include.
- Vanguard - It gains Pathfinder here, but it's a focus hog and doesn't do much damage.
- Anastasia - She's very close to a must-take, though not quite.
As mentioned, Ashlynn runs these pretty well. Reason for this is that she makes Trenchers RAT 7, and very hard to kill under Dig in, cloud walls and feat, while Storm Nouns under Quicken can be where they needed really fast.
- Trencher Infantry can cloud wall and Reposition out with Gibbs. Gibbs can be the solo in the rubble to help start that working sooner.
- Trencher Long Gunners are an excellent ranged unit that can snipe important solos and WAs or straight up shoot the enemy of the board.
- Storm Lances are nimble, sturdy and hit (relatively) hard, which is rare in this theme.
- Stormblade Infantry are slower than Lances, but hit more accurately and harder under the leaders buff
- Exemplar Cinerators - A perfect option for Crosse, as under Dauntless Resolve and his feat, they can be delivered relatively easily due to their high ARm and Vengeance
- Exemplar Vengers - Speaking of vengenace, Vengers are a faster option over Cinerators. They don't have Vengeance for some reason though.
- Holy Zealots might seem to be tempting Lifebound options, but they don't do anything exept die, which is not a good thing in a theme that relies on its units to do the boatload of the work, while also being resticted in the number of units that can be taken. Only use them if you are playing Gastone with a heavy assassination tilt, in which case let the souls flow freely!
- Exemplar Errants and Choir of Menoth - It might be tempting to engineer some kind of jack heavy list trying to abuse Hymn of Battle and Mark Target. However, your caster is unlikely to have the focus to support such an endeavor.
- Exemplar Bastions probably not quite as good as Cinerators, but under Gastone they can get up to armor 19 with tough, certainly not as good as armor 23, but instead of playing offensively, you should hold Bastions back in your zone or near your flag. A couple Mat 7, blessed, weapon master defensive strikes will kill most infantry, might kill lights, and put a dent in heavies. Gibbs can also heal them up so they can double dip on sanguine bond.
Crucible Guard options
- Rocketmen are outstanding with Ashlynn, able to get up the board quickly and hold ground while jamming like few other units. The other unit choices are a bit outclassed by Protectorate or Cygnar options, though the Dragon's Breath Rocket and Combat Alchemists may become quite helpful if there are ever going to be other Llaelese units that can make use of the support.
Llaelese Resistance at 25 Points
A lot here depends if you're crossing over with the Protectorate, the Crucible Guard, or Cygnar. This is a hybrid army option so I'm giving all three possible armies as the Llaelese resistance is a great theme either to use your mercs if you want to grow another army or if you already have another army and you want to grow mercs.
With the Protectorate of Menoth you are basically bringing Gastone and a wall of armour that can't be shot off the board and can wreck things, and a shooty battle group. Note that although the recommendation is given you can use a Mule in place of either jack just as easily.
- Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter (+29)
- Exemplar Cinerators (Max) - 13
- Cinerator Officer (free)
- Choir of Menoth (Max) - 6
- Major Harrison Gibbs - 4
- Gobber Tinker -2
Six ARM 24 models with Tough and Feign Death in addition to two heavy warjacks with shields and a network of shield guards is, however, not how to win friends at 25 points.
With Cygnar the only question is Trenchers for the really annoying rolling cloud wall which you can reposition out of, or Storm Blades for hitting power. Ashlynn can only Quicken one unit so one really powerful unit is good for her. Like Gastone you can switch the jacks around. Note that if you're bridging into or out of Cygnar also look at The Kingmaker's Army if you want Trenchers.
- Ashlynn d'Elyse
- Either Trencher Infantry or Stormblade Infantry (Min) - 10
- Command Attachment (free)
- 3 * Weapon Attachment (6)
- Major Harrison Gibbs 4
- Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist 4
With the Crucible Guard you DEF-spam a little and use the unit that has a warjack-killing weapon attachment. This list is based on a Warmachine heavy meta - against Hordes drop Gorman and the Tinker for a Dragon's Breath Rocket
- Ashlynn d'Elyse
- Crucible Guard Rocketmen Min (9)
- 3 * Rocketman Gunner (6)
- Rocketman Captain (free)
- Major Harrison Gibbs 4
- Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist 4
- Gobber Tinker - 2
- Ashlynn d'Elyse - She is a below average warcaster in Irregulars, but quite strong in this theme. Her (almost) army wide Veteran Leader pushes the RAT and MAT values of most solos and units from decent to great and she personally enjoys pathfinder and rubble to hang out in. Ashlynn excels with the Cygnar or Crucible options of the theme, but doesn't care for Protectorate options at all. For a more detailed breakdown see below.
- Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter Crosse is the exact opposite of Ashlynn in that he is best played alongside Protectorate units, but does very little for Cygnar or Crucible (or rather, they don't do much for him). Protectorate has exactly the kind of beefy high ARM units he wants to deliver in Exemplars. Exemplar Vengers with both Battle Driven and Dauntless Resolve are ARM 23 while Exemplar Cinerators in shield wall with Dauntless Resolve are ARM 24 - and can be surprisingly fast at getting up the table if the enemy triggers Vengeance.
The other casters available (Caine and MacBaine) are less than stellar options. While playable, neither of them really benefits from the model selection or benefits and don't bring much to the table to power up the available units either.
- Llael gained independence from Khador at the end of the Acts of War series of books when Ashlynn, Crosse and Lukas di Morray helped Cygnar take the city of Merwyn from within. Parts of the country were still under Khadoran and Protectorate control prior to the Infernal invasion not long after the Llaelese victory.
Other Mercenary models/themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Themes that change a model's Faction [Show/Hide]
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Including Partisan Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]