Theme - Hearts of Darkness
| Theme - Hearts of Darkness |
It is unlikely the invading Infernals would be as strong without the aid of humans possessed of more selfish greed than survival instincts. As horrors move out from the shadows, people who have betrayed their own kind hold the torches to light the way for evil. Perhaps they hope to be spared by showing their allegiance and harvesting victims for their masters, but hope is a dying luxury now.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Hearts of Darkness
- 3 List Building
- 4 Other
An army made use the Hearts of Darkness theme force can include only the following models:
- From Infernals
- Lesser and light horrors that are part of Great Princess Regna Gravnoy’s battlegroup
- Croe's Cutthroats
- Cultist Band units
- Griever Swarm units
- Howler units
- Alain Runewood, Lord of Ash
- Eilish Garrity solos
- Great Princess Regna Gravnoy
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- Nicia, Hound of the Abyss
- Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
- Saxon Orrik
- Umbral Guardian solos
- Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
- The Wretch solos
- Infernal structures
- From other Factions
- Aurum Legate Lukas di Morray (Crucible Guard)
- Captain Kara Sloan (Cygnar)
- Feora warcasters (Protectorate)
- Kommander Andrei Malakov (Khador)
- Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter (Mercenary)
- Mortenebra warcasters (Cryx)
- Non-character warjacks of the same Faction as written on the card of the warcaster in this army
- Up to two non-Partisan units of the same Faction as written on the card of the warcaster in this army
- Up to three non-Partisan, non-Archon solos of the same Faction as written on the card of the warcaster in this army
- Morrowan models cannot be included in an army made using this theme force.
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.09 (Edit)
- Only Lights and Lessers that are in Great Princess Regna Gravnoy battlegroup
- Feora (1), (2), or (3) - Protectorate
- Mortenebra (1), (2) - Cryx
- Lukas1 - Crucible Guard
- Sloan1 - Cygnar
- Malakov2 - Khador
- Crosse2 - Mercenaries
- Any non-character warjacks that are from the same original Faction as the warcaster.
- Character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Up to two non-Partisan units that are from the same original Faction as the warcaster.
- Croe's Cutthroats
- Cultist Bands
- Griever Swarms
- Up to three non-Partisan non-Archon solos that are from the same original Faction as the warcaster.
- Great Princess Regna Gravnoy (Master Infernalist)
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- Saxon Orrik
- Umbral Guardians
- Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
- The Wretch(es)
- No "extra" Mercenaries allowed.
Each Requisition Point can be spent on either:
- All models in this army are considered to be Infernal models.
- Warjacks in this army gain Accumulator [Soulless].
- Wretch models in this army gain an extra Magic Ability spell: That Which Does Not Kill You
- Friendly models/units can begin the game affected by the upkeep spells of warcasters in this army.
- These spells and their targets must be declared before either player deploys their models.
- Warcasters in this army do not have to pay focus to upkeep their spells during your first turn of the game.
- Released with the Faction launch (2019.06)
- Technically changed with the 2019.07 Theme Remix, but not really.
Thoughts on Hearts of Darkness
New Theme - This article is a Work In Progress
Please don't delete this warning unless you (1) have played several games with the final rules (games with CID rules don't count) and (2) you've reviewed this article and it mostly(★) matches your experiences.
(★) Bearing in mind that other editors may make suggestions you don't think are the "best" but that doesn't make them "wrong". Don't delete stuff just because you disagree with it, please.
Oblivion's Theme Faction mashup
The 3 themes released in Oblivion mixes up Factions in a new way, so here's a quick recap of what it means in terms of list pairings: [Show/Hide]
Hearts of Darkness in a Nutshell
The gimmick of this list is that you get to borrow a warcaster and small army from any of the warmachine factions and supplement them with Infernals.
Limited pool of models
You're limited to a handful of casters and a smattering of non-Infernal units/solos. Sure, those units/solos can be anything from their Faction, but you still can't take that many in total. Also you have very limited access to Horrors. Lastly you don't get the usual "Up to one Mercenary solo and unit" allotment.
About half the casters available in theme are battlegroup centric, and this is not a battlegroup-centric theme. Accumulator is nice, of course, but sometimes isn't enough. Also you're forced to bring at least one infernal unit if you want to benefit from Accumulator, whether they work with your overall army strategy or not.
- If you're a new player looking to pick up Infernals, you will need to learn about all the other factions in order to make an informed decision on what you want out of them, and have to spend money on those faction models.
- Purchasing a single HoD list isn't too much of a burden, especially if you're starting Infernals as a second faction and you happen to already own them, but if you want to explore some other options with Hearts of Darkness you're looking at purchasing more stuff from yet a third Faction.
Starting with a 25 point force
This theme is not recommended for newbies. If you're going to start with a faction in general it's best to start with that faction. Instead this theme is designed for Crossing the Themes and moving into Infernals as a second faction.
This is why non-Infernal players might try out Hearts - for access to these powerful solos.
- Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight - Probably the first model you pick, regardless of your caster.
- He has a Tactician bubble that affects the entire army, 'jacks and 'caster included.
- Brother's Keeper provides immunity to knockdown and stationary, which is great for any Tough unit (Howlers, Trencher's, Doom Reavers, etc) and/or solos with Inhuman Resolve.
- He is also a great combat solo, especially if he survived to the mid-to-late game.
- Runewood2 - He's a utility solo bringing Intelligence and has the option to either strip away Pathfinder or give one of your warrior models and out of activation move. The latter synergises well with Hauke in protecting a squishy 'caster that you had to overextend too far forward i.e. to get a good feat (looking at you, Feora3). Shadow lets you advance you caster backwards, and Tactician lets you move through your own troops and jacks.
- Great Princess Regna Gravnoy - She brings a useful spell list in Deceleration and lets you summon Horrors. Her primary disadvantage has to do with the mechanics of Essence; She will need to eat non soulless warriors to replenish it.
- Hermit of Henge Hold - does what he always does. The only notable point is that in this theme he will always be a friendly Faction model, so are a few extra spells/buffs that will work on him.
- Umbral Guardian - You can take these awesome solos as free options, and your almost certainly going to want at least two. Double Shield Guard is very relevant into heavy shooting lists, and will often give you the edge when building around the Gate & powerful 'caster-faction shooting options. Do note as well that they are Soulless models, and as such they can be used to add Accumulator zones on your opponent's turn.
- The Wretch - General support solos who provide some not insignificant utility in the form of Entropic Force, Black Mantle, Ancillary attack for Regna's Horror, or a RNG 8 POW 12 spell that causes a living or undead model to explode if it kills them. They also gain That Which Does Not Kill You from the theme, which makes them extremely useful for keeping your generally fragile caster healthy. A solid option which should make it into most lists at least as a one-of.
- Howlers - They benefit immensely from Hauke's presence, as they naturally have Tough and often get in each other's way. Howlers are solid Soulless models which can be used to fuel Accumulator on your front line of warjacks.
- Cultist Band - These guys' main purpose is to support Horrors in the Dark Legacy theme, and they have limited use here in Hearts. Anything non-Horror-support that they might want to do, something from the caster's home Faction can probably do better.
- However they can find a use as meat-fuel for stuff like Malakov2's Sucker ability, Mortenebra1's Sacrificial Lamb spell, or Princess Regna's essence supply.
- Infernal Gate - A steady source of recursion is great when the number of units you can bring is limited. Additionally, the extra mobility the Gate provides synergises extremely well with weapon teams & your generally squishy casters.
Sloan and the Bad Guys in Blue
- Solan can bring a very focus efficient battlegroup here, which is a massive boon to her. Mainly she wants Umbral Guardians from this theme, as they are shield guards and let her battlegroup accumulate. Rangers are a nice supplementary unit, pushing the math on attack rolls to make sure that you hit almost everything under Guided Fire. Nicia also makes for an excellent Return Fire target, as does Runewood2, who functions as a second source of pseudo-Refuge with his shadow plan.
Feora and the ex-Menites
Feora, The Conquering Flame struggles in her home faction due to lack of options to keep her safe post-feat, which is why the combo of Hauke and Mordecai is so relevant. Predictably, she wants to bring a Choir, while Holy Zealots will set the world on fire under Incite and Fervor. To add to this, Hand of Judgement for the buff to fire damage is advised, as well as a Revelator to set even more things on fire. The Hierophant and Scrutator Potentate Severius are the usual Protectorate mainstays and an Exemplar Warder, will add an additional layer of protection to the Conquering Flame.
Feora, Protector of the Flame ... text
Feora, Priestess of the Flame ... text
Malakov and the really-red Khards
Kommander Andrei Malakov loves to work with Tough multi-wound infantry for his feat, so Howlers are his friends. Combined with a Man-o-War Demolition Corps with CA, you can run a Vengeance heavy meat mountain. Alternatively, two units of Doom Reavers can be used by him to great effect, as they are great targets for his feat and Battle Plans, and they benefit from the inclusion of the Infernal solos, like Hauke. The Infernal Gate can teleport the slow Khadoran jacks around, or convert the infernal converts into Howlers, which can then be healed up by Cultist Bands, who make for good Sucker! targets too.
As for solos, the Greylord Adjunct is never not a great option and there's a good case for Sorscha0 with a Rager. Sorscha provides Boundless Change and Fog of War, which can be used with his Sneak Battle Plan to give any unit Stealth. Butcher4 should also be mentioned, as he is his beats feat target. Runewood, Lord of Ash is amazing with Malakov, and a model he is likely to want to take.
Mortenebra and the Infernal Machines
Mortenebra doesn't really want to play in the Infernal sprinklers. She's a battlegroup caster tied to Cryx warjacks, which are pretty fragile warjacks. Cryx players will sometimes use her in their Black Industries theme, but only because that theme gives warjacks +4 ARM vs shooting. Even with that, she's not used that often. Leaving Cryx to gain Accumulator and access to some Infernal models ... well, she's not going to be competitive.
Or, to put it more bluntly:
- Gaining access to Infernal models isn't enough to make a serious Cryx player want to use Mortenebra.
- Gaining access to Cryx models isn't enough to make a serious Infernal player want to pick Mortenebra over any of the other Hearts casters.
Of course, if you're playing for funsies, go nuts.
Lukas di Morray's Unfortunate Forray
Aurum Legate Lukas di Morray has struggled to find a place in Crucible Guard, he gets out-competed by Syvestro & Gearhart for the title of "Best Midfielder 2018". In Hearts of Darkness he can really shine, providing huge amounts of focus on the premium Guard 'jacks thanks to Accumulator, 16" range Dragon's Breath Rockets thanks to the Gate, and extremely scary Rocketmen when paired with the Hermit of Henge Hold. Lukas' main weakness when run as an Infernalist is his limited access to Guard support (in particular Mosby) and his exclusive reliance on the Wretch as a source of healing. Alyce is an obvious auto-include (note that she does not take up a CG solo slot, as Lukas has Irregulars: Alyce), as is at least one unit of Soulless infantry. Prospero with a heavy or a Vulcan is always a powerful option, especially since Accumulator affects all 'jacks not just your main warcaster's.
Note, Maker's Mark does not work when Lukas is run as an Infernal, as Maker's Mark specifically calls out Crucible Guard casters (and turns the 'jacks into CG 'jacks). As such Lukas does not have access to either the Toro or the Vanguard in this theme. The Vanguard is not much of a loss (it's primary purpose is the Shield Guard, which can be better provided by Umbral Guardians), but losing access to the Toro is a really big deal.
Crosse and the Particularly Mercurial Mercenaries
Lieutenant Crosse, Resistance Fighter runs the theme decently well if he brings double Steelhead Halberdiers with an Infernal Gate, Alexia2 and Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye for lots of recursion. The third merc solo should be either Rhupert for no-knockdown tough halberdiers, or Reinholdt for doubling his personal output. Howlers let his jacks accumulate, can go deep into enemy territory under Ghost Walk and at ARM 17 with 8 boxes are great Dauntless targets.
- Released with the Faction launch (2019.06)
- The warcasters in this theme are not canonically infernalists, it's more of a "what if" scenario. That is to say they were all, at some stage in their lives, at the point where all they needed was a little nudge to become fully fledged infernalists, but the nudge never quite came.
Other Infernal models/themes
|Infernal Index (Edit)|
|Unique Rules : Masters, Horrors, Essence, & Summoning|
|Infernal Masters||Agathon - Omodamos - Zaateroth|
|Attachment||Lord Roget d'Vyaros||Master Infernalist||Princess Regna|
|Lesser||Foreboder||Light||Lamenter - Shrieker||Heavy||Desolator - Soul Stalker - Tormentor|
|Units, Solos, & Structures|
Alain Runewood, Lord of Ash - Eilish1 - Eilish2 - Great Princess Regna Gravnoy (Master Infernalist) - Hermit of Henge Hold - Lord Roget d'Vyaros - Nicia, Hound of the Abyss - Orin1 - Saxon Orrik - The Wretch - Umbral Guardian - Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
|Dark Legacy - Hearts of Darkness||J.A.I.M.s|
|This index was last updated: 2019.06|
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]