Theme - Guardians of the Temple
| Theme - Guardians of the Temple |
The soldiers of the Flameguard Temple once found their purpose in defending the sacred sites of the Protectorate, but the turmoil of recent years has seen these former guardians forged into one of the most formidable fighting forces of the nation. Hearing and heeding Menoth's call to service, thousands have swelled the ranks to take up arms and carry out the will of the Lawgiver. With the blessings of Menoth upon them, these faithful eagerly go to war against the non-believers, unified in their unwavering support of the Great Crusade.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Guardians of the Temple
- 3 Other
Full model list
The models allowed in Guardians of the Temple are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2019.05 (Edit)
2018.07 Exemplar Errata
Thoughts on Guardians of the Temple
Guardians of the Temple in a nutshell
- Guardians of the Temple is decent at holding scenario locations with hard to hit units like the Daughters and tough to kill units like the Temple Flameguard.
- Ambushing Daughters of the Flame is also a very good way of jamming enemy troops or throwing a wrench in your opponents plans.
- All the infantry being so cheap leaves an obvious hole in the list; smashing tougher stuff. Of course that's what the Choir of Menoth and the heavy jacks are for.
- Alas losing the Covenant of Menoth and the Hierophant isn't good.
List Building Tips
- Take the Ambushing Daughters. Single wound infantry are terrified of these women.
- Taking a unit of Temple Flameguard with their Command Attachment and Pyrrhus is 20 points, giving you a good self-sufficient module and another free solo.
- The list lacks magic weapons and attacks outside of what your warcaster might bring and the Shrine of the Lawgiver, so a Sanctifier is highly recommended to deal with pesky Incorporeal models.
Casters of Note
- Feora, Priestess of the Flame gives all Flameguard an MAT buff. Ignite also helps them hit harder.
- Feora, The Conquering Flame potentially ups the offensive power of her entire army via Incite. She loves the fact that the Temple Flameguard are relatively self-sufficient on defense, as she does very little to get her army up the field otherwise.
- Grand Scrutator Severius is an excellent force multiplier for his army via his many support spells (Death Sentence, Defender's Ward, Vision) and Eye of Menoth.
- Although High Exemplar Cyrenia's Battle Plans don't work on Flameguard, her spell list and feat work just as well as buffing them as they do Exemplars.
- The High Reclaimer does more for Guardians than the theme does for him; Hand of Fate is an excellent buff, and bringing back Flamebringers or Cleansers can allow for surprising angles of attack. He'd usually rather play in Exemplar Interdiction, though, due to their greater hitting power.
- Servath Reznik, Wrath of Ages buffs the accuracy of his army via Death March, while Spellpiercer and Lamentation are incredibly punishing for opponents relying on buffs. Like Feora3, he appreciates the TFG being defensively self-sufficient as he does nothing to help them up the board.
- The Testament of Menoth turns the already annoying-to-deal-with Temple Flameguard into absolute pests via Ashen Veil and cheap recursion. His feat can also be great when used with Flameguard Cleansers and Flamebringers, allowing them to dig deep into the enemy.
- Thyra, Flame of Sorrow gives Daughters of the Flame Vengence and additional hitting power/accuracy. Occultation and her feat also help get them up the field.
- Released 2017.01
- Guardians of the Temple was one of the first Theme Forces to be previewed for MK III.
Other Protectorate models/themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]