Rules subject to change.
This model is unreleased.
This model is part of the current CID cycle (What is CID?) and the information shown below does not represent its final rules.
This is a new model, and the information here is what was given on day 1 of the CID cycle
| An army made use the Flame in the Darkness theme force can include only the following models:
Full model list
The models allowed in Flames in the Darkness
This list was last updated: 2019.04 (Edit)
Warcasters - For Mercenary players
Warcasters - For Cygnar players
Warcasters - For Khador players
Note: All warcasters get the same warjacks to choose from, regardless of their original Faction:
- All non-character mercenary warjacks
- Up to two non-character Cygnar or Khador warjacks (one of each is legal).
- Other character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- All models in an army made using this theme force are considered to be of the same Faction as the warcaster in this army.
- The way of this benefit is worded means you do not get access to other Faction's warcasters, and vice versa.
- You do get access to the other Faction's warjacks, however.
- For every full 20 points of units and solos in this army, you can add free of cost either:
- Free models do not count toward the total point value of solos or units in the army when calculating this bonus.
- Units in this army gain Vengeance.
- Vengeance - During your Maintenance Phase, if one or more models in a unit with Vengeance were damaged by enemy attacks during the last round, each model in the unit can advance 3" and make one basic melee attack.
| 2019.04 Beta rules released
Thoughts on Flame in the Darkness
This model/theme has only recently been released, and the content in the "Thoughts On" section is based more on theory-machine than actual gameplay experience.
Feel free to remove this warning if you, personally, have a good level of gameplay experience with the model, have reviewed this article, and either you A) agree with the content 100% or B) for the parts you disagree with, you don't strongly disagree; and it's more a case of differing opinions between you and previous editors rather than incorrect content / bad advice.
Oblivion's Theme Faction mashup
The 3 themes released in Oblivion mixes up Factions in a new way, so here's a quick recap of what it means in terms of list pairings: [Show/Hide]
- Although there are 6 Factions you can steal from, you have to pick just one then all the stolen models must be from the same original Faction.
- It is always an Infernal army and in a Steamroller tournament it must be paired with another Infernal army. (Although you can pair it with another Hearts army, that steals from a completely different Faction.)
- It is both a Khador and a Protectorate theme, and can be paired with either a Khador army or Protectorate army.
- For example, you could build an army with nothing but Protectorate models in this theme, and you could still pair it with a Khador army.
- Flame in the Darkness "partially share" the models allowed in the theme.
- It is either a Khador, Cygnar, or Mercenary theme, and must be paired with an army from the same Faction.
- For example, if you use a Cygnar warcaster in this theme, it is a Cygnar army and must be paired with another Cygnar army.
Flame in the Darkness in a Nutshell
This theme represents the Thamarite and Morrowan forces putting aside their ideological differences and teaming up to fight off the Infernal invasion. Odd as it seems, this mirrors Morrow and Thamar’s team up to help their followers fight the Orgoth using the gift of magic bartered from the Infernals.
It is a Mercenary, Cygnar and Khador theme depending on the faction of the caster you pick.
The theme reflects the general statistics of the Twins worshippers, being nearly entirely militant Morrowan forces with a few supporting Thamarite options. It's a predominantly melee-oriented force (though every new Morrowan infantry unit has a gun of some sort as well) that can hit like a truck with good use of it’s supporting solos. It has two of the better Archons counting for free points so expect to see at least a Morrowan Archon in every list, maybe two.
Constance Blaize is able to boost Morrowan ranged attacks, so you can do a pretty good combined arms list with her.
List Building Tips
The most expensive free models you can get are Savio Montero Acosta, Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One, or 3 Battle Priests at six points each; then Alexia, The Undying at five. As many of the units take buffs exceptionally well, cheaper options like Ragman and Hermit of Henge Hold are worth consideration.
Starting with a 25 point force
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's been specifically designed to be relatively newbie friendly for both you and your opponent.
Caster Thoughts - Cygnar
- Constance Blaize, Knight of the Prophet will play in this theme or Irregulars, exclusively. She has fixes for speed, MAT/RAT, damage and general dice reliability on Morrowan models which are the major focus of FitD. The Morrowan Archon also keeps her and her souls safe. Connie also flanks off nearly every model you take.
- Jakes2 and a Toro or three with Sprint and Counter-Charge makes for an interesting combination. Her feat allows the low-model-count Vigilants to potentially destroy larger screening units in a single activation and the combination of practiced maneuvers, reach and parry means that a blob of Precursor Knights can charge into some very interesting places (if they survive, and Jakes does nothing to help with that). Bullet dodger and Awe from the Morrowan Archon are an obnoxious combination for living models that cannot buff their hit chance.
- Stryker1 will appreciate the strength buffs from the support solos and the naturally high power of the Precursor Knights, since he doesn't fix damage. His feat and spells also allow the knights to survive en masse, allowing for a devastating charge with up to 17 weapon master attacks. Both Archons become utterly obnoxious with his defensive upkeeps in play, and all the units with guns appreciate snipe to achieve a shooting threat above their "ok-to-mediocre" baselines.
- Stryker2 is happy getting escorted up the board by the Morrowan Archon under Deceleration. Positive charge plus Alexia/Throne allows for enough buff stacking for the OoI and Legion units to shine into harder targets. Between the theme-wide vengeance and his feat, the list can put out quite a lot of attacks in a turn and move much faster than Stryker's lack of a speed buff would imply they would.
- Stryker3 is unlikely to be played in this theme. Stryker3 has a decent feat and fury, and can make Gallant even better, but ... that's it.
Caster Thoughts - Khador
- Zerkova1 She can easily deliver the infantry with clouds, ghostly and her feat (especially good for the vulnerable Precursor Knights), and she finally gets access to arc nodes. The Thamarite Archon makes her highly accurate with her sprays, and the Hermit offers both hit fixing with telemetry or an armor debuff so arcing through single well placed lancer can devastate any kind of infantry less durable than multi-box shield-walls.
- Zerkova2 is unlikely to be played in this theme. She has no synergy at all with the near totally non-magical theme options.
Caster Thoughts - Mercenary
- Ashlynn1 ends up as a weaker version of Fiona in this theme, giving up most of her Laelese (Glyn Cormier is from Lael!) synergy for access to arc nodes. Playable due to her useful spells and great feat, but not incredible.
- Constance Blaize, mentioned under the Cygnar heading, can also be taken as a Mercenary caster. It terms of list design, making her a Mercenary in this theme will affect your list pairing in a tournament and that's about it.
- Crosse2 likes the Morrowan Archon protecting his souls and the Thamarite Archon makes his gun extremely accurate. Although most of his spells bar fire group are useful somewhere and most units have guns to play off his feat, there are no good cheap infantry to throw into the enemy to sacrifice for easy souls. Using an arc node to swap Dauntless Resolve for Lifebound on Precursor Knights after they charge is as good as it gets.
- Fiona1 Brings a valuable ARM debuff that works with shooting, hands out stealth, and creates interesting threat extension/backstrikes with befuddle. She loves both Archons, with the Morrowan causing living models to easily miss even Toros under her feat and the Thamarite increasing her spell accuracy. Her cultist options are extremely limited (Devils Shadow Mutineers and Field Mechaniks...) , but healthy Archons and Resolutes will survive dark rituals.
Other Faction models/themes
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
|| Madelyn Corbeau - Reinholdt - Wyshnalyrr
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) - Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
|| Alexia1 - Sam & The Devil Dogs - Croe's Cutthroats - Nyss Hunters - Blythe & Bull - Boomhowlers - Herne & Jonne - Aiyana & Holt - Lynus & Edrea - Commodore Cannon - Devil's Shadow Mutineers
Cephalyx Agitator -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire (2) -
Alexia, The Undying (3) -
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist -
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (1) -
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution (2) -
Eiryss, Fortune Hunter of Ios (4) -
First Mate Hawk -
Gastone Crosse -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Gorman Di Wolfe, Rogue Alchemist -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Gudrun the Wanderer -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Viktor Pendrake -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
|| Hammerfall Siege Crawler
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2019.05
Note to self: I need to update this rules section after the CID rules are finalised - juckto.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
- A warjack/warbeast with a bond can always be included in a theme force, whether or not they're in the list of allowed models, but only if they're controlled by that bonded model.
- This applies even if that bonded model isn't a full warcaster/warlock (changed as of 2018.06).
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
- For your solo, if you select a solo that comes in multiples (such as Swamp Gobber River Raiders) you get the normal number of solos. Not just a single model. (Locked thread)
- As per the errata to the core rules, if your "up to one Merc" ...
- ... can take warbeasts/warjacks, then you can add warbeast(s)/warjack(s) (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- ... comes with a Companion model, then you'll get that Companion (without exceeding your "up to one" allowance)
- There is a bug in Warroom that allows you to not only take one Merc solo/unit, but the entire FA of that Merc solo/unit. It's a bug.
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
- If the theme force has the Partisan model on the list of allowed models, then it doesn't use up your "Up to one mercenary" slot, and so you can take the full FA plus another mercenary. Example: Cephalyx in Black Industries or Kayazy in Jaws of the Wolf. (Infernal Ruling)
- If the Partisan isn't on the list, it does use up your "Up to one mercenary" slot, and you can only take one. There is a bug in Warroom that allows you to take multiple.
- Whether you used option 1 or 2 above, once they're in your theme force they count as a Faction model and so...
- they can count towards free points (if applicable). For instance, Nyss will count towards the "20 points of Retribution units" in the Defenders of Ios theme. (Infernal Ruling)
- they can be taken free of cost (if applicable). For instance, Eiryss1 can be taken as a free solo in the Legion of Dawn theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
- Some themes include a benefit that says "If this model is included, it counts as a Faction model instead of a Mercenary model". For example Greygore in Kriel Company.
In this case, the mercenary model has effectively gained Partisan and is subject to the FA limits described above. To reiterate:
- If that Merc is in the list of allowed models allowed (such as Savio in Storm Division), they won't count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
- If that Merc isn't in the list, (such as the Devil's Shadows in Slaughter Fleet Raiders), they will count against your "up to one Merc" allowance.
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
- If you can include a Merc unit, and its attachments, then you can attach a Ranking Officer. This is true regardless whether or not that Ranking Officer is on the list of "Allowed models" . (Infernal Ruling)
- Adding a Ranking Officer to a Merc unit doesn't increase the number of Merc units you can take.
- The Merc unit will count towards your "X points of [Faction] models/units" benefit (if your theme is worded that way). (Infernal Ruling)
Benefits for a single model/unit
(eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
- If you need to choose which models get your theme bonus, then you do this choice after deployment. (Infernal Ruling)
- An example is how Winter Guard Kommand gives Advance Move to one-warjack-of-your-choice-per-WG-unit.
- In comparison, Destruction Initiative gives all Servitors the Shield Guard ability so you don't need to "make" a choice.
- You should still write on your army list how many of these bonuses you get to hand out, though, so your opponent can clearly see. (Infernal Ruling)
- ie at the bottom of your list, you'd write "3 warjacks gain Advance Move" but you don't need to state which three are going to get the bonus.
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
- You can swap out as many models from your main list into your specialists and vice versa as you like, but you must completely recalculate the new army list when you do, including bonuses. As long as the new army list is valid, including all free models, it doesn't matter what the left over points in your specialists are. (Staff Ruling)
- If your theme only allows one merc solo, you can't have one in your main list and a different one in your specialists.
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
- If a unit counts towards your free points, then all attachments count too; regardless of whether the attachment is the same model type. For instance:
- If the unit gets a benefit from a theme force, the Attachment will too. (Infernal Ruling)
For example, a Trollkin Sorcerer will gain Serenity if its attached to a Dhunian Knot unit in a Power of Dhunia theme force.
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
- Theme force benefits are applied when you construct your list and models keep the benefit for the whole game. You don't gain/lose theme benefits due to in-game changes.
Also, if you put a new model into play midgame, they immediately gain any relevant benefits too. (Infernal Ruling)
- For example, Scourge of the Broken Coast gives Dodge to "models in the army." If your opponent takes control of one of them, it keeps Dodge even though it's currently not "in the army".
- For example, Storm Division gives lightning immunity to "Cygnar models in the army." If you include a Mercenary unit with a Ranking Officer, they will get the theme benefit and also keep it even after the Ranking Officer dies.
Number of free models [Show/Hide]
- If a model is normally added to your army in multiples (such as 3 Scrap Thralls for two points, 2 Crabbits for seven points, etc) and you choose to use your free card on such a model, you only get one model. (Infernal Ruling)
- There are some exceptions, such as Storm Division's benefit explicitly saying you'll get 3 stormcallers.
- There is one odd exception, for Children of the Dragon, where it was ruled that you'll get 5 incubi. However that ruling is an exception, not a general case.
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
- The "free solo" can be any kind of solo, it doesn't have to be a Revenant solo.
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
- A Mercenary unit with an Attendant Priest does count as Protectorate unit for the purpose of calculating points for free cards. There is a bug in Warroom that prevents it counting properly. (Staff Ruling)
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
- It is 2 Cruicible or 2 Cygnar or 2 Menoth.
You can't take more than 2, and you can't mix and match from multiple Factions. (Infernal Ruling)
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
- The 3rd benefit is "Sac Pawn [Sea Dog trooper]", not just any Sea Dog. (Infernal ruling)
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
- Una1 cannot be taken in this theme (yet) due to the conflict between the theme's "Only Construct warbeasts allowed" and Una1's "Must take warbeasts with flight". There are no construct warbeasts with flight (yet). But if/when there is, then Una1 can be taken in this theme. (Infernal Ruling)
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
- When it comes to other things that alter COST (such as Lamentation), follow basic maths: Double/halve first, then add/subtract.
- Due to the way Tanith's feat is worded, during her feat turn the COST of animi cannot drop below 1. (Infernal Ruling)
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
- Free Tharn models do count towards the free corpse tokens. (Infernal Ruling)
- Bradigus1 is not legal in this theme. The theme only allows living warbeasts, his rules only allow construct warbeasts, and you can't just 'skip' his battlegroup - you have to spend your warbeast points.
- If you create a new model mid-game (ie with the Well of Orboros and that model can have corpse tokens, that model does not enter play with a corpse. Because it's not the beginning of the game. (Locked thread)
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
- If you select Incubi as your "one" solo, you get five of them. (Infernal Ruling)
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
- If a Construct model loses the Construct advantage mid-game, it keeps the theme benefit anyway. (Infernal Ruling)
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
- Despite being treated as a Trollblood unit during a game, Dannon, Blythe, and Greygore still use up your Minion slot during list creation. They are more like a Partisan Minion unit, in that respect. (Infernal Ruling)
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]
- If Mosby is attached to a Mercenary weapon crew unit, they would gain 3" reposition and would not lose it if Mosby is no longer in the unit. (Infernal Ruling)
Infernals - Hearts of Darkness [Show/Hide]