Theme - Exemplar Interdiction
| Theme - Exemplar Interdiction |
The ruling priesthood and scrutators of the Protectorate of Menoth have no more loyal and steadfast protectors and warriors than the Exemplars.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Caster Thoughts
- 4 Other
Full model list
The models allowed in Exemplar Interdiction are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
2018.06 Crucible Guard CID
2018.07 Exemplar Interdiction CID
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Exemplar Interdiction in a nutshell
Exemplars are the elite infantry of Protectorate, and this theme rewards you for fielding them. Given that all Exemplars have Weapon Master on their melee weapons, you're going to have a terrifyingly potent melee force. Unfortunately there is no real benefit to the Exemplars themselves (other than the free points) besides the additional deployment zone. +2" deployment zone is pretty nice for faction not known for it's high mobility, not much to discuss really, but it's nice thing to have.
Blessed weapons on jacks are quite a powerful feature. Besides saving you Focus and/or model activations dealing with whatever buffs your opponent has on their models, Menoth currently boasts incredibly powerful ranged weapons on both its Colossals, both of which already ignore several common defensive measures already (Stealth, protection against non-magical shooting, cover/concealment). Even the humble Redeemer can punch holes in low-DEF or knocked down models your opponent thought was safe due to an ARM buff. Seriously consider putting in ranged warjacks to compliment your mostly melee army.
Core Units - Role Recap
- Heavy Infantry
- Light Infantry
Most of the Exemplar units are quite slow. While there are some mitigating options like Gravus you'll still want a caster that can either speed them up or protect them.
Most Exemplar units do not have ranged weapons. You'll want to include some way of sniping out annoying enemy support solos, whether via Exemplar Errants, the Errant solos, or with an arc node and offensive spells.
Weakness to Guns Part of the above, most Exemplars are not tough enough to weather too much firepower. You'll want some method of weathering the storm before you get to the enemy, such as screening with Exemplar Cinerators, Kreoss2's Tough bubble, or Vindictus' feat.
Unlike most themes, the Exemplar Interdiction have a starter set. This is a decent purchase as you save about 11% over buying the contents individually. The contents are:
- A 5-man unit of Exemplar Cinerators plus their command attachment.
- A 6-man unit of Knights Exemplar plus their command attachment.
- An Exemplar Warder solo
- This adds up to 31 points, plus the Warder who you'll take as your first free card.
You'll notice that there is no warcaster or warjacks included.
- Each max unit of Exemplar Vengers gets you a free solo!
- A full unit of Exemplar Bastions and the Exemplar Bastion Seneschal both total up to 20 points, which will grant you a free solo.
There are essentially three infantry-heavy archetypes for Exemplar Interdiction.
- Infantry-spam, involves taking many of the small-based Exemplar, Knights and Errants, and swarming the field with high volumes of accurate, high damage Weapon Master attacks. It is excellent with Testament of Menoth for souls and recursion or Vice Scrutator Vindictus as he can speed up and protect large numbers of models.
- Medium-base spam. Bastions and Cinerators offer very high damage output and good survivability at the cost of speed and volume of attacks. This means the list excels with The Harbinger of Menoth who can protect the higher value targets with Martyrdom, and speed them up via Crusader's Call.
- Judicator and friends. The third variant involves taking the Judicator, already a powerful field dominating piece, and supporting it with the various means available to Exemplar Interdiction. Exemplar Errants offer board control and aid accuracy with their CA, Rhoven & Co and Severius0 further support the colossal, while units like Exemplar Vengers or Exemplar Cinerators can hold objectives and offer a second threat to deal with. This type of list excels with a host of warcasters including The Harbinger of Menoth, High Exemplar Cyrenia and The High Reclaimer
- Take a max unit of Exemplar Errants with CA (20 points) and use them to screen your jacks. You'll get a free solo (probably Severius 0) out of it. If you want them to stick around a little longer, the Exemplar Errant Seneschal solo (3 points) gives the Errants Unyielding which makes them a more durable screening unit.
- Kreoss3 and Thyra have flexible buffs that can affect both warrior models and warjacks. Severius0 fits nicely into these lists; Road to War is an excellent threat extender for his battlegroup, and Eye of Menoth provides a buff for the entire army.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
She is an excellent Warcaster to run with medium- and large-based Exemplars, able to increases their threat range and melee accuracy with her spells, while Martyrdom keeps them alive. Especially frustrating on ARM21 Cinerators, or the ever-annoying Knights Exemplar Seneschal.
She is another great choice to run Exemplars with. Her Battle Plans are quite useful, and she increases her troops offensive and defensive capabilities via her spells and feat.
Reclaimer1 and Reclaimer2
Either version are good at running troop-heavy forces. They can recycle your troops further forwards, helping offset the slow speed of Exemplars.
He gives Exemplars Tough thanks to Paragon of the Faith, and his feat turns your melee attacks up to 11.
He favors running Vengers (often two units) thanks to providing Divine Inspiration to them via his Elite Cadre; his spells support them and other Exemplars as well.
She is a potent force multiplier for Exemplars; like Cyrenia, she gives her troops a threat extender (via feat), as well as a POW and accuracy buffs. Occultation prevents a unit from getting shot.
He can speed them up with a spell and protect them with his feat.
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]
Models in this category
Refer to Category: Exemplar Interdiction