Theme - Dark Host
| Theme - Dark Host |
Torn from the horrors of the void and given new forms in the bodies of the dead, banes are dark, sinister warriors in the service of Cryx. Far from mindless, they possess a military cunning mixed with an utter malevolence to life. Supported by potent necromancers, armies of horrifying banes beset the enemy like a tide of darkness and death.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Caster Thoughts
- 4 Other
|An army made use the Dark Host theme force can include only the following Cryx models:|
Full model list
The models allowed in Dark Host are: [Show/Hide]
This list was last updated: 2017.06 (Edit)
|No changes since 2017.06|
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Dark Host in a nutshell
Banes are the elite undead of Cryx, and this allows you to field an entire force of them.
Banes hit like a ton of bricks, are relatively durable, but perhaps most importantly all come with Ghostly which lets them ignore terrain and free strikes while moving. This gives you an upper hand in terrain mitigation and/or walking away from combats you don't want to fight. It also let's you easily zip into concealment (which includes the fog) to trigger the Prowl benefit.
Thoughts on the Dense Fog
Carefully read the different versions of stuff that ignores clouds / concealment / stealth. Often you'll be able to keep at least one of bonuses. For example:
- Eyeless Sight ignores everything.
- True Sight ignores the clouds for LOS and ignores Stealth, but doesn't ignore the +2 DEF you get from being in concealment.
- Ghost Shot ignores LOS and concealment, but you still have concealment which is enough to trigger Prowl & Stealth ... which Ghost Shot does not ignore.
Thanks to Prowl, running Banes into the clouds on Turn 1 is great protection vs shooting, whether it is Bottom-of-One shooting from advanced deployed stuff, or Top-of-Two shooting from stuff that ran into position last turn. But after Turn 1, your Banes should be advancing forwards as quick as possible and leave the clouds behind for your support and caster to hide in.
If you get choice of table edge, carefully review the terrain.
- If there is good terrain within 20", you can form a LOS-blocking bunker for your caster to hide in all game.
- If there is concealment-providing terrain at about 30", you can set-up a 'Leap Frog' strategy where your Banes run into the clouds round 1, then into terrain on round 2, for two rounds of Stealth.
- Or, considering that you have so much Ghostly, you may prefer to choose the table edge that makes the opposite side worst for your opponent.
Note: In SR2017, dense fog placed by theme forces does not expire per normal terrain rules. (Link in the Rules Clarifications section.)
You're going to struggle vs high-DEF opponents.
- Bane Lord Tartarus can help fix this, but you may want a caster that can help out too.
You're going to be peppered with ranged attacks on the way in. You'll probably be charged, rather than getting to charge.
- SPD 7 on Bane Riders and Wraith Engines is still pretty good.
- Making good use of terrain for maximum Prowl can help.
- You'll want a caster that can help deliver the Banes, whether by buffing them (like Terminus) or preventing the enemy attacking them (like Coven).
No ranged attacks
If you want to snipe out annoying enemy solos, you'll need either Darragh, a Skarlock, or some arc nodes. Machine Wraiths can also make decent "missiles" vs squishier support pieces.
Limited Magical Weapons
Incorporeal solos (here's looking at you Gremlin Swarm) are a problem for the list
- You are looking at Warcasters, Darragh Wrathe and Spells as your only options against Incorporeal, unless you include a unit like Cephalyx Overlords.
List Building Tips
- Your first free solo should always be Bane Lord Tartarus.
- A Wraith Engine is almost mandatory in this list. It'll contribute to your free points, and help protect your Banes on the way in.
- It'll push Bane Warriors to ARM 17, which makes them decently durable vs the typical anti-infantry gun (that has POW 10), and almost immune to blast damage (typically POW 6 to 8).
- It'll push Bane Knights to a very respectable ARM 20 while in Wall of Steel, which is great vs everything except auto-one-wound attacks (such as Sniper).
- It'll also put Bane Riders to ARM 20 but that is less great because, being multi-wound models, your opponent is going to be gunning for them with high-POW weapons anyway.
- Darragh Wrathe is popular.
- He can speed up your army with Death Ride and provide some much-needed magic offense.
- But at 9 points that can't be taken for free or contribute to your free points, he can be hard to justify sometimes.
- A Desecrator is a solid choice for your heavy warjack, as it gets bonus focus while it is near Bane models.
Starting a 25 point force
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Max unit of Bane Warriors plus CA 
Your army reaches absurd levels of hitting-power and ARM under her feat. Typically seen with Stalkers, Wraith Engines, Darragh Wrathe, and Bane Riders. The 4" Clouds can do a lot to keep her safe after feating. pSkarre has the best hit-buff in faction: Dark Guidance.
Her Dash spell bumps your Banes SPD up, especially if you combine it with Darragh, and her Deceleration spell can stack ARM to very good levels.
You'll lose out on a Reinforcement target, unless you bring Cephalyx.
Guns got you down? The Coven is the best delivery system in Cryx. Enemies will find themselves helpless when caught inside of Nightfall. They face a hard decision: allow Banes to charge first, or retreat their models and lose scenario presence.
Agathia is in a weird place relative to this theme.
- On one hand, she is a Bane model so will gain Prowl and can stand in the clouds all game in relative safety. Also she appreciates Veteran Leader from Bane Lord Tartarus giving her +1 to hit with spells and, if necessary, +1 to hit in melee too.
- On the other hand, her spell list and feat doesn't really do anything to support Banes.
- Released 2017.07
Other Cryx models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Benefits for a single model/unit (eg "One unit of [blah] gains [yaddah]") [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments & free points [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Ghost Fleet [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Scourge of the Broken Coast [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Faithful Masses [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - Call of the Wild [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Legion - Children of the Dragon [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Kriel Company [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]