Theme - The Irregulars
You may be looking for one of these:
| Theme - The Irregulars |
Mercenary Theme Force
Some mercenary contracts offer jobs so desperate, so vile, or so insane that no right-minded group of sellswords would ever consider taking them. For the employers who offer these contracts, it is fortunate that the Iron Kingdoms has no shortage of mercenary companies full of the desperate, the vile, and the insane. When such undesirable jobs appear, they attract an unlikely assortment of mercs willing to do anything, no matter the odds of survival, for another fistful of coin.
- 1 Theme Rules - Remix
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Casters of Note
- 4 Other
Theme Rules - Remix
An army made use the The Irregulars theme force can include only the following Mercenary models:
- Mercenary warcasters
- Non-character Mercenary warjacks
- Mercenary character units
- Idrian Skirmisher units
- Kayazy units
- Precursor Knight units
- Mercenary character solos
- Gobber Tinker solos
- Mercenary battle engines
Full Model List
This list was last updated: 2019.11 (Edit)
- All Mercenary warcasters, except the Cephalyx ones.
- All non-character Mercenary warjacks,
- Character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Croe's Cutthroats
- Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
- Dannon Blythe & Bull
- Herne & Jonne
- Idrian Skirmishers
- Kayazy Assassins
- Kayazy Eliminators
- Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
- Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr
- MacHorne1 - ('Jack Marshal)
- Precursor Knights
- The Commodore Cannon & Crew (★)
- The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
(★) The Commodore Cannon can only be included if your warcaster is a Privateer.
- Alten Ashley
- Anastasia di Bray
- Balthazar Bamfist
- Black Bella, Duchess of Dread
- Bloody Bradigan
- Bosun Grogspar
- Brun Cragback & Lug - (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Captain Crawtooth
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - ('Jack Marshal)
- Crosse1 - ("Junior Warcaster")
- Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Dirty Meg - ('Jack Marshal)
- Doc Killingsworth
- First Mate Hawk
- Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One
- Gobber Tinker
- Grand Master Gabriel Throne
- Gudrun the Wanderer
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
- Harlowe Holdemhigh
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter
- Kell Bailoch
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
- Lord Rockbottom
- MacHorne2 - ('Jack Marshal)
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Major Harrison Gibbs
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
- Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - ('Jack Marshal)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
- Rorsh & Brine - (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - ('Jack Marshal)
- Savio Montero Acosta
- Saxon Orrik
- Sergeant Nicholas Verendrye
- Stannis Brocker
- Sylys Wishnalyrr - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage
- Thor Steinhammer - ('Jack Marshal)
- Viktor Pendrake
- Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire
- Wrong Eye & Snapjaw - (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Mercenary command attachment
- One small- or medium-based Mercenary solo without the Lesser Warlock special rule
- If Ace is included in this army it is a friendly Mercenary model instead of a Cygnar warjack.
- Note: Only Caine3 can take Ace
- While 'jack marshaled, warjacks in this army gain [Friendly Warrior].
- Flank [Warrior] - This model gains +2 to melee attack rolls and an additional die on melee damage rolls vs enemy models in the melee range of a friendly warrior model.
- You can reroll your starting roll for the game. Your starting game roll can only be rerolled once as a result of this special rule.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- The mid-2019 Themepocalypse tore out the non-character non-partisan units from The Irregulars
- Lost the "One warjack gets Advance Move per unit in the army" benefit.
- Gained the reroll benefit.
- Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps
- Horgenhold Artillery Corps
- Horgenhold Forge Guard
- Legion of Lost Souls
- Ogrun Assault Corps
- Order of Illumination Resolutes
- Order of Illumination Vigilants
- Press Gangers
- Sea Dog Crew
- Sea Dog Deck Gun
- Steelhead Cannon Crew
- Steelhead Halberdiers
- Steelhead Heavy Cavalry
- Steelhead Mortar Crew
- Steelhead Riflemen
- Steelhead Volley Gun Crew
- Tactical Arcanist Corps
- Thorn Gun Mages
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Irregulars in a nutshell
The Irregulars are the plucky band of misfits that just don't fit into the many, many other Mercenary themes.
This theme force allows a massive variety of solos, every Mercenary Lesser Warlock, and gives bonuses for marshalled warjacks. This allows for a great many possibilities. While it has the most options of any Mercenary theme force, it doesn't hold together quite as tightly as the others, and many of the unit options are pretty bad.
- The obvious strength of Irregulars is the wide variety of options it affords the Mercenary player. You have ample access to threat extension, pathfinder, magic weapon and ARM debuffs. Gabriel Throne can play here and boost your units damage output. Gorman and Eiryss1 bring control.
- If you want to jack marshal something, make it a Mangler for the free charge combined with Crush, or a possibly a Freebooter if you brought Shae.
No non-character solos (Gobber Tinker excepted)
For a long time this wasn't a weakness because there were only about 3 non-character solos (and they were all sort of "meh"). Now, however, some of the recent releases not being available in Irregulars is starting to be a downside. Specifically the Powder Monkey, the Steelhead Ironhead, and the Archons.
- The well-designed themes have multiple layers of stacking bonuses that create a very cohesive package as a whole. For example, Talion Charter allows you to stack buffs onto meager pirate units turning them into holy terrors while the pirates, in turn, keep the supporting solos alive. Soldiers of Fortune offers strong recursion, tactical maneuverability and in-built ranged support. Irregulars just offers variety.
List Building Tips
- Many mercenary character units are awful, this includes Nyss, Kayazy boys and Boomhowlers. The battle engine can't actually reinforce anything in theme. Focus instead on the good options afforded to you. Aiyana & Holt and Kayazy Eliminators are excellent and should probably be in almost any army. Idrians are great ranged units, Precursor Knights are great in melee. Devil Dogs are 10 knock downs on a stick.
Croe's are great with Fiona. Boomhowlers despite their weaknesses have a place with MacBain.
- Maximize free solos and bring the most useful ones that fit with what your army wants to do. One of the strengths of Mercenaries is the power of the in-faction solos.
- The lesser warlock can now be taken without losing freebies, which makes them compelling choices. They are all at least worthy of consideration individually and as Super Friends list akin to those run in Will Work For Food have the potential to be even more powerful.
- Warcasters that let marshalled jacks charge for free, that is Magnus1 and [Shae]] might get some use out of the Flank benefit
- Lanyssa Ryssl, Nyss Sorceress and Bamfist are helpful with marshalled jacks as they hand out free charges/free focus, respectively, allowing them to charge and crush, though it is much easier, albeit more expensive, to just take a Mangler.
- Jack Marshals are much improved and this theme lets you take Lanyssa, Widget and Bamfist to greatly augment them.
The Mercenary jack marshals are:
- Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs - They knock down targets expertly, so they can set up the Freebooter.
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - She has a really weak drive so she runs everything equally mediocre.
- Dirty Meg - She has the best drive out of all the marshals so she can run just about anything.
- Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - His Assault Drive lends itself to combined arms jacks, so a Swabber or Rover or Mariner can be good.
- Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - He wants a sturdy jack for his drive, a Talon, Freebooter, Nomad or Toro fit the bill
- Thor Steinhammer - Can only marshal Rhulic jacks. Having him run a Basher can be surprisingly powerful
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Eiryss1 [Free]
Casters of Note
- Fiona the Black - She makes Croe's shine by befuddling targets and exposing their rear to them. Idrians make excellent use of her arm debuff. Also works really well with the Lesser Warlocks, so a "Super Friends List" is possible. HEr feat is also best used with high DEF units, of which there are plenty in this theme.
- Captain Rahera - She can really maximise her feat and Black Spot with Idrians, Devil Dogs and Aiyana and Holt. If she only brings a Blockader she doesn't mind only having one Empower solo, too, and Bamfist can also protect her troops.
- Magnus1 can snipe some Idrians and appreciates a marshalled Freebooter under Iron Aggression.
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]