Theme - The Irregulars
You may be looking for one of these:
| Theme - The Irregulars |
Mercenary Theme Force
Some mercenary contracts offer jobs so desperate, so vile, or so insane that no right-minded group of sellswords would ever consider taking them. For the employers who offer these contracts, it is fortunate that the Iron Kingdoms has no shortage of mercenary companies full of the desperate, the vile, and the insane. When such undesirable jobs appear, they attract an unlikely assortment of mercs willing to do anything, no matter the odds of survival, for another fistful of coin.
- 1 Theme Rules - Remix
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Casters of Note
- 4 Other
Theme Rules - Remix
An army made use the The Irregulars theme force can include only the following Mercenary models:
- Mercenary warcasters
- Non-character Mercenary warjacks
- Mercenary character units
- Idrian Skirmisher units
- Kayazy units
- Precursor Knight units
- Mercenary character solos
- Gobber Tinker solos
- Mercenary battle engines
Full Model List
This list was last updated: 2020.05 (Edit)
- All Mercenary warcasters, except the Cephalyx ones.
- All non-character Mercenary warjacks,
- Character warjacks can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Croe's Cutthroats
- Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
- Dannon Blythe & Bull
- Herne & Jonne
- Idrian Skirmishers
- Kayazy Assassins
- Kayazy Eliminators
- Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
- Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr
- MacHorne1 ('Jack Marshal)
- Precursor Knights
- The Commodore Cannon & Crew (★)
- The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
(★) The Commodore Cannon can only be included if your warcaster is a Privateer.
- Alten Ashley
- Anastasia di Bray
- Balthazar Bamfist
- Black Bella, Duchess of Dread
- Bloody Bradigan
- Bosun Grogspar
- Brun Cragback & Lug (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Captain Crawtooth
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - ('Jack Marshal)
- Crosse1 ("Junior Warcaster")
- Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Dirty Meg ('Jack Marshal)
- Doc Killingsworth
- First Mate Hawk
- Flugwug the Filcher
- Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One
- Gobber Tinker
- Grand Master Gabriel Throne
- Gudrun the Wanderer
- Harlan Versh, Illuminated One
- Harlowe Holdemhigh
- Hermit of Henge Hold
- Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter
- Kell Bailoch
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
- Lord Rockbottom
- MacHorne2 ('Jack Marshal)
- Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - (Warcaster Attachment)
- Major Harrison Gibbs
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
- Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger ('Jack Marshal)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (Warcaster Attachment)
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
- Rorsh & Brine (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
- Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer ('Jack Marshal)
- Savio Montero Acosta
- Saxon Orrik
- Sergeant Nicholas Verendrye
- Stannis Brocker
- Sylys Wishnalyrr (Warcaster Attachment)
- Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage
- Thor Steinhammer ('Jack Marshal)
- Viktor Pendrake
- Weird Wendell, Gremlin Wrangler
- Widget, Tinker Extraordinaire
- Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Lesser Warlock & Companion Warbeast)
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Mercenary command attachment
- One small- or medium-based Mercenary solo without the Lesser Warlock special rule
- If Ace is included in this army it is a friendly Mercenary model instead of a Cygnar warjack.
- Note: Only Caine3 can take Ace
- While 'jack marshaled, warjacks in this army gain [Friendly Warrior].
- Flank [Warrior] - When this model makes a melee attack against an enemy model in the melee range of a friendly warrior model, this model gains +2 to attack rolls and gains an additional damage die.
- You can reroll your starting roll for the game. Your starting game roll can only be rerolled once as a result of this special rule.
- Continuous new releases
- This theme gets new options much faster than most themes, although most of them are similar enough to existing options that it doesn't affect Irregulars' list design.
- As such this Recent Changes log doesn't normally keep up-to-date with them. You can look at New Releases if you're curious.
- 2019.07 Theme Remix
- Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps
- Horgenhold Artillery Corps
- Horgenhold Forge Guard
- Legion of Lost Souls
- Ogrun Assault Corps
- Order of Illumination Resolutes
- Order of Illumination Vigilants
- Press Gangers
- Sea Dog Crew
- Sea Dog Deck Gun
- Steelhead Cannon Crew
- Steelhead Halberdiers
- Steelhead Heavy Cavalry
- Steelhead Mortar Crew
- Steelhead Riflemen
- Steelhead Volley Gun Crew
- Tactical Arcanist Corps
- Thorn Gun Mages
Thoughts on this Theme Force
The Irregulars in a nutshell
The Irregulars are the plucky band of misfits that just don't fit into the many, many other Mercenary themes.
This theme force allows a massive variety of solos, every Mercenary Lesser Warlock, and gives bonuses for marshalled warjacks. This allows for a great many possibilities. While it has the most options of any Mercenary theme force, it doesn't hold together quite as tightly as the others, and many of the unit options are pretty bad.
- The obvious strength of Irregulars is the wide variety of options it affords the Mercenary player. You have ample access to threat extension, pathfinder, magic weapon and ARM debuffs. Gabriel Throne can play here and boost your units damage output. Gorman and Eiryss1 bring control.
- If you want to jack marshal something, make it a Mangler for the free charge combined with Crush, or a possibly a Freebooter if you brought Shae.
No non-character solos (Gobber Tinker excepted)
For a long time this wasn't a weakness because there were only about 3 non-character solos (and they were all sort of "meh"). Now, however, some of the recent releases not being available in Irregulars is starting to be a downside. Specifically the Powder Monkey, the Steelhead Ironhead, and the Archons, even missing out on a Swamp Gobber River Raider as a 1pt filler model can sometimes be an issue
- The well-designed themes have multiple layers of stacking bonuses that create a very cohesive package as a whole. For example, Talion Charter allows you to stack buffs onto meager pirate units turning them into holy terrors while the pirates, in turn, keep the supporting solos alive. Soldiers of Fortune offers strong recursion, tactical maneuverability and in-built ranged support. Irregulars just offers variety.
List Building Tips
The units and battle engines
- Most good Irregulars lists start with double Kayazy Eliminators and Aiyana & Holt for excellent scenario pressure, damage buffs and magic weapons on a stick. From there on out it's caster dependent but Gaspy4 and Nemo4 can both be fielded here which dramatically increases your focus pool and lets you run jack heavy with the best of them. They are probably the main reason to play this theme because not only are they powerful models themselves, they also make everything around them better via recursion, damage fixes, and threat extensions. Having one of them bring a Diffuser is also very valuable for the beacon shots.
- The Siege Crawler can't actually reinforce anything in theme.
- Idrian Skirmishers are decent ranged units, though they're slightly below the curve.
- Precursor Knights are great in melee, but have delivery issues outside of Flame in the Darknes.
- Devil Dogs are 10 knock downs on a stick, but expensive.
- Croe's are great with Fiona for Backstab shenanigans.
- Boomhowlers despite their weaknesses have a place with MacBain.
- Nyss and Kayazy Assassins are probably the worst units in theme, so avoid them.
Maximise free solos and bring the most useful ones that fit with what your army wants to do. One of the strengths of Mercenaries is the power of the in-faction solos.
- Though the solo selection is caster dependent, it's hard to go wrong with the Hermit and Harlowe Holdemhigh as your first two freebies.
- The lesser warlocks are all usable although they have lost a step over time.
- Warcasters that let marshalled jacks charge for free, that is Magnus1 and Shae might get some use out of the Flank benefit
- Lanyssa Ryssl, Nyss Sorceress Widget and Bamfist are helpful with marshalled jacks as they hand out free charges, an extra attack or free focus, respectively, allowing them to charge and crush, though it is much easier, albeit more expensive, to just take a Mangler.
- Jack Marshals are much improved and this theme lets you take the aforementioned Lanyssa, Widget and Bamfist to greatly augment them.
The Mercenary jack marshals are:
- Captain Sam MacHorne & The Devil Dogs - They knock down targets expertly, so they can set up the Freebooter.
- Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI - She has a really weak drive so she runs everything equally mediocre.
- Dirty Meg - She has the best drive out of all the marshals so she can run just about anything.
- Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - His Assault Drive lends itself to combined arms jacks, so a Swabber or Rover or Mariner can be good.
- Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer - He wants a sturdy jack for his drive, a Talon, Freebooter, Nomad or Toro fit the bill
- Thor Steinhammer - Can only marshal Rhulic jacks. Having him run a Basher can be surprisingly powerful. Or give him an Avalancher with a buff such as Fire for Effect from Ossrum.
- Boss Machorne has a powerful drive and is a strong melee combatant, but it's an expensive package.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Eiryss1 [Free]
Casters of Note
- Fiona the Black - She makes Croe's shine by befuddling targets and exposing their rear to them. Idrians make excellent use of her arm debuff. Also works really well with the Lesser Warlocks, so a "Super Friends List" is possible. Her feat is also best used with high DEF units, of which there are plenty in this theme.
- Shae - His only privateer models are likely only going to be jacks, but that is alright, as the solos and Gaspy4 more than make up for that. He also loves the Flank bonus to marshalled jacks. A Freebooter or Mariner under Boss MacHorne will do lots of heavy lifting.
- Captain Rahera - She can really maximise her feat and Black Spot with Idrians, Devil Dogs and Aiyana and Holt. Even if she only brings a Blockader she doesn't mind only having one Empower solo, too, and Bamfist can also protect her troops.
- Bart - Irregulars has better solos than Talion and among Bamfist and Sylys he can fully fuel two colossals, upkeep Hotshot and cast Batten every turn. On top of that he really loves the damage buffs, solo hunters, infantry clearing and defensive models in the theme.
- Ashlynn2 - Gaspy is probably the best model to benefit from True Path, and Idrians love Artifice. Also there are lots of great solos to bring back with her feat.
- Crosse2 - He will find excellent targets for his upkeeps here in Idrians and Gaspy as well as lots of damage buffs to augment his personal output. Nemo4 also adds an recursive element he so loves for his Lifebound unit.
- Magnus1 can snipe some Idrians and appreciates a marshalled Freebooter under Iron Aggression.
- Damiano can have a field day with Gaspy and Idrians in tow, making for a very strong melee list which also features great gun play which should give his jacks plenty of RtW moves. He also loves Alexia2 recycling the souls of Idrians into Thrall Warriors who turn into P+S 13 weapon master on feat.
Other Mercenary models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Themes that change a model's Faction [Show/Hide]
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Including Partisan Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
See also these Theme-Specific Rulings [Show/Hide]