The Harbinger of Menoth
|We have 1198 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Feora2 (theme thoughts)||Imperatus (Dawnguard and non-vyros combos)|
| The Harbinger of Menoth |
The Harbinger of Menoth is a true prophet of the Temple of Menoth with the powers of a warcaster, and the leader of the Protectorate armies in the great crusade to reclaim western Immoren. Her divinity is so great she is perpetually floating, for her sacred form cannot touch the unclean earth.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on The Harbinger
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- Awe - Living enemy models suffer -2 to attack rolls while in this model's CMD range.
- Divinity - This model cannot suffer Knockdown, Blind or back strikes.
- Martyrdom - When a friendly Faction warrior model is disabled in this model's command, this model can suffer d3 damage to heal 1 hp on the disabled model. It cannot spend focus to reduce the damage it does to itself.
- Providence - 0.5" reach, P+S 12 melee weapon.
|Reduce the POW by 1 for each full inch between the target and the Harbinger. Blast damage only affects enemy models. This spell has no effect if the target is out of range (it doesn't deviate, it just stops).|
| Crusader's Call
|Friendly Faction models beginning a charge in the caster's control range gain +2" for that charge. Lasts for one turn.|
| Guided Hand
|Target friendly Faction model/unit gains an additional die on each model’s next melee attack roll this turn.|
|All upkeep spells, animi and continuous effects in the caster’s control range immediately expire.|
|Target model/unit cannot give orders, receive orders, make power attacks, or make special attacks.|
Feat - Godhead
For one round, enemy models that end their movement inside Harbinger's command closer than they started take a POW 14 Fire Damage roll.
- Exemplar Interdiction
- Guardians of the Temple
- The Creator's Might. She can start the game with upkeeps in play, and upkeep them for free in turn 1, in this theme.
- The Faithful Masses
Warriors of the Old Faith
2018.07 Exemplar Errata
- Command Increased from 10 to 12
- Warjack points increased from 24 to 27
Thoughts on The Harbinger
The Harbinger in a nutshell
The Harbinger has an excellent toolbox for attrition, support, and denial tricks. Her fragile frame is helped by several special rules, and her unrivaled FOCUS stat gives her an enormous CTRL range. Since the Exemplar errata she also has the biggest command range in the entire game.
Harbinger is an interesting caster, that requires a lot of practice to fully master. On one hand she has an abundance of focus to play with, and nearly self-evident abilities. On the other hand, you can easily over-burden her, leaving vulnerable to retaliation.
Her personal combat abilities also represent duality. With a bunch of focus to spend, and auto-hitting attacks, she alone can clean up an impressive number of infantries and can bang up light warbeasts / warjacks pretty badly. With Crusader's call, her threat range is 11.5". On the other hand, her stats are truely one of a victim - leave her unaided in the field, with a drained focus pool, and she will die in no time.
Her most interesting rule is Martyrdom. It has obvious use on durable and/or multi wound models or important solos. Keeping the Allegiant of the Order of the Fist alive even after the enemy managed to put him down will be a source of frustration for them. However don't let it stop you from spending it on lowly Zealots, if that's what it takes to contest a zone in a scenario play. Thanks to her respectable CMD bubble Awe is an ideal defensive measure for her army and herself alike.
The Protectorate's version of the no-go zone. The damage is high enough to kill most single-wound models, even under Shield Wall, and seriously hurt multi-wound infantry. Heavier targets can enter relatively unpunished. The severe decrease in diameter demoted this feat from its alpha-strike / denial role to a board control / denial / defensive mixture. Now, you usually wait until mid-game to pop it, but it is still very effective in limiting your opponent's choices. Be on the lookout, as pushed or placed (or in extreme case, thrown or slammed) enemies can still enter to your control zone without taking damage.
- Cataclysm: Don't be fooled by its absurd POW, most of the time you'll use it on targets so far away, that it will only hit with an average force.
- Remember that even if you use an arc node to sling it forward, you still have to measure the distance between Harbinger and her target to determine the actual POW.
- If you are getting a high POW attack you either survived a failed assassination, or moved in for an end-game assault.
- Against low ARM targets it remains viable at longer ranges though - even at 15-16" a boosted blast damage will likely to claim Gun Mages and the like.
- Blast damage affects only enemy models, so you can hammer foes in close combat with your troops with impunity (mind the target in melee bonus though).
- Crusader's call: Use it on slow troops to make them get further with charge than with run. Use it on any other targets to boost their threat range. Assault-capable models are particularly nasty with this spell. See Army selection.
- Guided hand: The Protectorate is full of with melee units, who are grateful for support, and several of them have critical effects on their weapons. See Army selection.
- Purification: Her most hated spell by many opponents - made all the more effective by her CTRL zone. Can be the bane of upkeep dependant lists, like in the case of Absylona1 or Stryker1. Also, it can negate debuffs on your army, like Parasite or Crippling Grasp. As it cleans your own upkeep spells too, you might want to cast Rebuke only after this.
- Rebuke: Beside the self evident benefits (blunt charges, or stop slams, head-butts for assassinations, and tricks with trample+reposition), do not forget about the orders. Losing "Press Forward" will bereft enemy units of run and charge (and thus, Assault). Also nullifies other orders, like "Cautious Advance", or "Shield Wall".
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Large base with a fragile form - she needs to be hidden most of the time, which can be extremely difficult.
- It is very easy to over-extend her, especially with excessive use of Martyrdom.
- It is also very easy to get over excited with Cataclysm. Yes, it's POW gets that high, but she cannot afford to play that far up.
- Change in focus camping severely dropped her resilience. Don't let her to be lit on fire.
- Despite all her tricks, she is at the mercy of Menoth and the dice against long-ranged attacks. Bereft of focus, a minimum unit of Long Gunners with Dual Shot can end her.
- Models with Fire immunity do not fear her feat, while undead and non-living models can enter her Awe-zone without suffering the effects.
Tricks & Tips
- Though cannot be knocked down, she's still affected by stationary.
- She lost her semi-Circular vision, so she can give now free strikes against enemies behind her front arc (outside of getting into position for a throw it will rarely happen, since they get no back-strike bonus).
- Pay close attention to which of spells/abilities work in her CTRL area vs her CMD area:
- CMD: Awe, Martyrdom, and her feat.
- CTRL: Crusader's Call & Purification
List Building Advice
The Harbinger has a very unique mechanic to help her army survive an extended engagement. Martyrdom will allow you to keep key pieces in scenario locations or keep opposing units engaged and help you win attrition games. Keep an eye on Her health though, its very easy for you to cut her too many times and leave her on just a few boxes left. Learn who to save and who to let pass onto Urcaen.
- Exemplar Bastions - Above the mentioned support from The Harbinger, they are an excellent target for Martyrdom.
- Add the Exemplar Bastion Seneschal to the mix to force your opponent to commit extensive resources upon their destruction.
- Exemplar Cinerators - Though not as resilient as Bastions, Martyrdom will still help them a lot. Vengeance triggers on damage and not death, so they will still get the attacks. Add in the new CA, and you can frustrate an enemy by having them finally get through that ARM21 shell, only to be saved by martyrdom.
- Exemplar Vengers - they can use their blessed lances only in charge, so why not to ensure, they can use it from a greater distance?
- Knights Exemplar - Trigger Battle Driven with damage; negate the damage with Martyrdom.
- Exemplar Warder - offers similar role as Madelyn above, but in this case it is +2 DEF vs melee, not an immunity, but the parry might be useful for moving the Harbinger out of harm's way, plus he is a cheap Shield Guard that if he gets killed may come back via Inhuman Resolve (just like the Knight Exemplar Seneschal.
- The Warder is also available in the The Creator's Might theme.
- Holy Zealots - Keep the bearer alive with Martyrdom to use Greater Destiny, and make their attack all the more accurate with Guided Hand.
- Allegiant of the Order of the Fist - Shifting Sand Stance + Awe makes him nigh unassailable for enemy attacks within the Harbinger's CMD range. Remember to roll tough before Martyrdom.
- Avatar of Menoth - Special mention, as it is not in her battlegroup. Combine the use of the Harbinger's feat with the Avatar's Menoth's Gaze to force enemies to move closer to the Avatar and take hits from Godhead.
- Enemies can still choose to advance 0" and avoid the damage. But that's still a "win" scenario for you.
- The Avatar is also available in the The Creator's Might theme.
- Initiates of the Order of the Wall are three Shield Guards that can't be knocked down, pushed, or placed while base to base with one another, and are ARM 21 while doing so and all of them are alive. Not only do they keep ranged assassinations off the table, Harbinger can Martyr them to keep the entire unit alive and at high ARM for far longer than they'd be otherwise.
- Temple Flameguard - charge even further, and increase the chance of the critical fire with Guided Hand. Awe + Set Defense is also rough on an enemy.
- Flameguard Cleansers - add their officer, cast Crusaders' Call, activate Scouring Flames, and fry enemies up to 20" away.
- Flame Bringers - Increased chance for critical Grievous Wounds is nice, even against warjacks, as it now counters repairs too.
Support Models - Various themes
- Choir of Menoth - as you'll probably need focus elsewhere, any support on your warjacks will come handy.
- She appreciates any help for her warjacks, so besides the Choir, you can hardly go wrong with a Vassal of Menoth, or a Vassal Mechanik.
- Hierophant - pretty self-evident, use Martyrdom, then heal her back. When not healing, use Harmonious Exaltation to tame the cost of her very expensive spells.
- Reclaimer Gatekeeper - Ashen Veil boosts her defense, while Future Sight helps her with focus management upon casting Cataclysm. As she likes infantry, there will be plenty of souls for the Reclaimers to collect anyway.
- Wrack - Despite her absurd FOC, she wants to use pretty much all of it. Have some more. Cannot be Martyred, but her CTRL range allows for them to be placed behind your starting army.
- Madelyn Corbeau- you surely want to keep melee assassins away from her. There's just one thing better, than getting a negative modifier upon your opponent's attack rolls - if they do not get attacks at all. Though this role can now be superseded by the Exemplar Warder in certain themes.
- Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - a nice support for infantries, and can provide Tough, in case you don't want to risk more HP on Martyrdom.
With her awesome CTRL range, and huge focus pool you may want to stuff the list choke-full of with warjacks. However, even with Power-up, she has quite a few thing to do with her focus, and will rarely have it in excess to fuel more than a few jacks. Her below-average warjack points, and the lack of battlegroup-exclusive spells also steer you toward preferring quality over quantity; including a few, trusted peace into her battlegroup.
- Devout - Shield Guard plus defence against spell attacks. Its DEF is only a tad-bit lower than the Harbinger's, so standing next to her, and attracting blast markers is not THAT terrible idea, as it normally is.
- Vigilant - another defence measure, this time against blasts. Its Roadblock ability makes ranged assassination harder.
- Want cheap beatsticks and/or ranged heavy hitters? Look for the Crusader, the Reckoner or the Vanquisher.
- It's Har-bin-ger. Not Har-bring-er.
- Released in Warmachine: Apotheosis (2005)
Other Protectorate models
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.03 Deathclock Dave, vs Axis1
- 2019.01 Arcane Assist, vs Jalaam1
- 2018.05 Not Snakes Gaming, vs Jaga-Jaga1
- 2018.03 Not Snakes Gaming, vs Rask1
- 2018.03 Guerilla Miniature Games, vs Ragnor1
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)