The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
|We have 1325 articles and 89% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| The Devil's Shadow Mutineers |
Wild-eyed sailors tell a tale of the nefarious pirate ship Devil’s Shadow and its mysterious disappearance. Of the ship’s crew, only three souls ever returned, now guided by some unseen evil. This trio disperses as quickly as an ill wind, staying only long enough to form contracts with desperate men. Their goals remain a mystery, and the three otherwise go wherever the gales send their cursed ship.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
- 3 Other
|The Devil's Shadow Mutineers|
- Mercenary - Works for Cryx.
- Partisan [ Cryx ] - When included in a Cryx army, this model/unit is a Cryx model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Mar, Morland, & Zira
- Blood-Bound - When this model destroys a living enemy model with an attack, after the attack is resolved you can return to play one destroyed model in its unit. Place the returned model completely within 3" of the attacking model. The returned model cannot activate the turn it returns to play. The destroyed enemy model is removed from play and does not provide a soul or corpse token.
- Mar only
- Cutlass (x2) - 1" reach, POW 4, P+S 11 melee weapons
- Pistol 8" range, POW 10 ranged weapon
- Other Factions
2019.08 Dynamic Update
- This unit became a Thamarite model, which allows them to go in the new Flame in the Darkness theme.
Thoughts on The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers in a nutshell
On a good day the Devil's Shadow Mutineers are a really annoying recursive unit that keeps coming back again and again as Zira (normally) snipes off enemy infantry and solos. On a bad day they are an expensive and squishy unit. Zira is really good with her guns. Morland occasionally delivers a POW 15 charge, and if your opponent is careless, Mar might take a Payday from Rockbottom and mulch an entire unit. Keep them in the second wave for unjamming duty.
Combos & Synergies
- They are Privateer Sea Dogs. Therefore Lord Rockbottom is amazing:
- Money Shot on Zira is a good way to bring back Mar and Morland
- Pay Day turns Mar into a berserk overtaking infantry blender with boosted attack rolls; though her 1" reach prevents her from easily rampaging through entire units.
- Bosun Grogspar can provide anti-KD.
- Doc Killingsworth provides improved Tough.
- Captain Phinneus Shae has a number of synergies with them, including his feat Coup de Main, and Mar being a good tar
- Fiona the Black can use them as a hard to get rid of unit of cultists and or models that won't die when she channels through them as they have multiple hit points.
- The Thamarite Archon can give them rerolls.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- RFP effects neuter them.
- Their main schtick depends on your opponent obligingly providing you with living targets.
- Significantly weaker than other 3-person character units fielded by other factions.
- First Mate Hawk doesn't buff the melee attacks of the Devil's Shadow (as her ability only affects weapons that are actually named "Hand Weapons", whereas the DSM carry "Saber" & "Cutlass").
- Mar and Morland want to charge. Zira wants to hang back and shoot.
Tricks & Tips
- Keep Zira in the rear away from enemies, so she can survive and bring the other two back
- Be on the lookout for opportunities to use Payday on the unit and have Mar combine Berserk, Overtake and boosted attack rolls. If you want to get really janky, have Wrongeye bring a Swamp Horror and cast Elasticity on her for 2" melee range berserk overtakes. Put Storm Rager on Mar for the final piece of the puzzle.
- If player in Flames under a Cygnar caster you can attach Battle Priests to them, which grant the trio Rise, and they can recurr the priests with Blood Bound.
- Released in the Warmachine: Reckoning expansion book (2015)
- Sculptor = Javier G. Ureña
- Nicknames = DSM
- The Mutineers appear in the Watery Graves novel as antagonists.
Other Faction models
|Cryx Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
Agathia - Aiakos2 - Asphyxious1 - Asphyxious2 - Asphyxious3 - Coven - Deneghra1 - Deneghra2 - Deneghra3 - Goreshade1 - Goreshade2 - Goreshade3 - Mortenebra1 - Mortenebra2 - Rahera - Scaverous - Skarre1 - Skarre2 - Skarre3 - Sturgis2 - Terminus - Venethrax
|Other Warjack Controllers|
|Colossal||Kraken - Sepulcher|
|Units, Solos, Battle Engines, & Structures|
Asphyxious4 - Bane Knights - Bane Riders - Bane Warriors - Bile Thralls - BO Boarding Party - BO Ironmongers - BO Smog Belchers - Bloodgorgers - Marauders - Carrion Thralls - Cephalyx Drudges - Cephalyx Overlords - Mechanithralls - Necrosurgeon - Revenant Cannon - Revenant Crew - Satyxis Gunslingers - Satyxis Blood Witches - Satyxis Raiders - Scharde Dirge Seers - Scharde Pirates - Soulhunters - The Devil's Shadow Mutineers - The Withershadow Combine
Aiakos1 - Agrimony - Axiara - Bane Lord Tartarus - Bloat Thrall - BTO Mobius - Captain Rengrave - Darragh Wrathe - Doctor Stygius - Deneghra0 - Gerlak - Hellslinger - Iron Lich Overseer - Machine Wraith - Master Gurglepox - Misery Cage - Necrotech - Pistol Wraith - Satyxis Blood Priestess - Satyxis Raider Captain - Scrap Thrall - Skarlock Thrall - Severa Blacktide - Soul Trapper - Warwitch Siren
|Battle Engines & Structures||Wraith Engine|
|Black Industries - Dark Host - The Ghost Fleet - Scourge of the Broken Coast|
|Refer to Who Works for Whom and/or Category: Cryx Mercenary|
|This index was last updated: 2020.03|
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters