This model is available in one Prime Army, Talion Charter. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
BOOM! Head Shot!
|The Commodore Cannon & Crew
|Commodore / Crew
||Large / Small
||0 / 6
||0 / 5
||- / 5
||- / 4
||5 / 13
||18 / 11
||5 / 3
||10 / 1
||1 Cannon 3 Crew
Mercenary - Although it is a Mercenary model, this unit refuses to work for any Faction.
Limited Employment - This model can be included only in Mercenary armies that include a Privateer warcaster.
- Commodore only
- Focal Point - If this model is destroyed or RFP'd, the remaining models in this unit are RFP'd.
- Heavy Artillery - (1) This model is not a warrior model. (2) It does not activate but can advance up to 1" for each Crewman within 1˝ of it at the beginning of its unit's activation. (3) If this model is moved during its unit's activation, Crewmen in the unit cannot make a Fire! special attack that activation. (4) This model is automatically hit by melee attacks and cannot become knocked down or stationary.
- Crewmen only
- Fire! (★ Attack) - This model must be within 1˝ of the Commodore and not engaged to make a Fire! special attack. Only one model in this unit can make a Fire! special attack each activation. This model makes a ranged attack with the Commodore. Both models must have LOS to the target. Ignore the Commodore when determining LOS for this attack. This model does not gain a bonus for aiming when resolving a Fire! special attack. Base the RNG and all modifiers for the attack on the Commodore.
- Gunnery (★ Action) - RNG CMD. Target Commodore. If the Commodore is in range, a model attacking with the Commodore this activation gains a cumulative +2 RAT.
- Cannon - ranged weapon with a variable range, AOE and POW
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Cannister Shot - This weapon's base stats become RNG SP 10, AOE -, and POW 20. When resolving this attack, the firing model gains +2 RAT.
- Cannonball - This weapon's base stats become RNG 20, AOE -, and POW 16. A model hit is slammed d6" directly away from this model. Collateral damage from this slam, if any, is POW 16.
- Incendiary Shot - This weapon's base stats become RNG 16, AOE 4, and POW 14. This attack causes fire damage, and models hit suffer the Fire continuous effect.
- Hand Weapon - 0.5" reach, POW 3, P+S 8 melee weapon
- Pistol - 8" range, POW 10 ranged weapon
Thoughts on The Commodore Cannon & Crew
The Commodore Cannon & Crew in a nutshell
The Commodore cannon commands respect as the most feared artillery piece in the game thanks to its 20" slam. With Shae's feat, Rockbottom's Money Shot and Dougal's Double Powder Ration, it can slam something 25" away at RAT 10. It can light blast-immune troops on fire to boot.
Combos & Synergies
- Captain Phinneus Shae gets it into position with his feat and can protect it from incoming fire with Phantasm, which he should. (Note that Coup de Main does not affect the speed of the cannon due to the wording of its rules. The cannon itself does not activate so it is unaffected by the spell.)
- Lord Rockbottom grants it Money Shot. If you take the cannon, you should have Rockbottom.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile grants it Artillerist (if using the blast shot) or 2" extra range on his mini feat turn. Among Rockbottom and Dougal you can get the cannon to a casual MAT 12, POW 20.
- The Galleon can power-lifter the Commodore on turn 1 and possibly even on turn 2, giving the Commodore the ability to get into range without giving up all shooting.
- Move up your Hermit and have him apply his -2 ARM aura, then slam him in the back with the cannonball to get him an extra d6" forward. His Ancient Shroud will mean he only takes 1 damage. Maybe you can even slam him into an enemy small-based model and knock it down.
- Steelhead Ironhead - He can crane it 2". You only get this combo with a privateer caster in Irregulars and have to bring in the Ironhead with Nemo4.
- Fiona the Black - -2 ARM on enemies makes the shots even more powerful and Occultation can protect it.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Kill either the crew or the gun and the whole unit dies.
- Lacks protection against ranged attacks and is easily sniped.
- Canister shot looks amazing, but realistically given the speed it moves, it’s in serious danger if it’s using this attack type.
- Models with special rules for hit re-distribution (Shield Guard, Sucker!, Sac Pawn, etc) will easily make your shots wasted.
Tricks & Tips
- The possibilities are endless. Run a low DEF model in front of the caster and slam it over them. Slam an enemy heavy into another from downtown. Be on the lookout for ideal targets.
- Limited Employment is not like a Bond. To put the Commodore in a theme force, you need to have a caster the Commodore is willing to work with and a theme that allows the Commodore (so only Irregulars and Talion).
- Sculptor: Aragorn Marks
- Released in Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
- The cannon is named for the former Commodore of the Talion, whose cruelty caused Shae and the crew to mutiny against him. Bosun Grogspar chained him to the cannon and fired it until he died. His remains still hang from the barrel.
Other Mercenary models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification : Attack Type and/or Arcane Savant (Edit)
- If you forget to declare your Attack Type before rolling the attack, and you and your opponent can't agree on a fair fix, then the Judge's Policy is that the first listed Attack Type is the one that will be used.
- If your target can only be targeted by certain kinds of attack (ie a Menoth warjack with Passage), you can first choose the correct Attack Type (ie Magical Damage vs Passage) and then that allows you to target it. The Attack Type selection and target declaration both occur at Step 1 (Refer Appendix A). (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Cannister Shot - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Cannonball (Edit)
Rules Clarification: : Slam (Edit)
(Click Expand to read)
- If you slam someone via a Power Attack the distance they move depends on relative base sizes.
- If you slam someone via a weapon or spell, the distance they move will be as per that weapon's/spell's rules text. Sometimes it doesn't depend on base size.
- Obstacles stop slams, but they don't stop throws.
- Obstructions stop both.
- If three models are B2B and in a triangle formation, and you slam one toward the other two, it will contact both those two models simultaneously. (Infernal Ruling)
- You can add model special rules (such as Gang) to the damage roll.
- Power Attack Slam
- You don't add any special rules on your model, unless it specifically refers to Power Attack Slam (such as Hard Head)
- You can use an "any time" ability after resolving the slam movement but before the slam attack roll. (Infernal Ruling)
- The range of a Power Attack Slam is irrespective of your weapon range:
- A Power Attack Slam made by a colossal or gargantuan has a 2˝ melee range.
- A Power Attack Slam made by any other model has a 0.5˝ melee range.
- You can boost the damage roll.
- Weapon Slam (ie Smite)
- You use the weapon's full P+S, not the attacker's base STR.
- You can add weapon special rules (such as Weapon Master) to the damage roll.
- You can boost the damage roll (and if you charged, it is auto-boosted).
- Dual Attack & Slam/Trample ( Edit )
- Power Attack Slam and Trample combine your Normal Movement and Combat Action, and how this works with Dual Attack is:
- Slam: You must resolve the movement, the attack, and moving the slammed model. Only then can you make initial ranged attacks.
- Trample: You must resolve the movement, the attacks, and the free strikes. Only then can you make initial ranged attacks.
- (Infernal Ruling)
- Incorporeal vs Slammed/Thrown models ( Edit )
- Incorporeal models cannot be moved by someone trying to slam them.
- Slammed models can move through Incorporeal models.
- If they have enough movement to get past them, no dramas.
- If they land on them, you move the Incorporeal model out of the way as per the Rule of Least Disturbance.
- If the Incorporeal model cannot be moved (i.e. it's a flag) then you move the slammed model out of the way, also by the rule of Least Disturbance.
- For the purposes of Collateral Damage, only the model(s) you contacted before you applied the rule of Least Disturbance count as contacted.
- The same logic applies to Throws.
- Collateral Damage
- Collateral damage cannot be boosted and is not considered damage from an attack or model. Refer page 33 of the 2021.08 version of the rules pdf. As a result:
- It doesn't trigger stuff that relies on being hit by an enemy (such as Shock Field) or damaged by an enemy (such as Vengeance).
- It doesn't get bonus damage from stuff that adds to a model's damage roll (such as Signs & Portents or Prey).
- It doesn't matter if the attacker has crippled weapon systems or aspects.
Rules Clarification : Incendiary Shot (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fire (Edit)
- If you deploy in fire hazard terrain (Burning Earth), then you get set on fire before the game starts.
- Deploying a model in a hazard counts as being "put into play" in the hazard. Being put into play counts as "entering". When you enter a hazard, you trigger the hazard.
- Moving into "Shallow water" standard terrain does not cause continuous fire to expire. It's magic fire.
- You can always use non-standard terrain if you agree with your opponent before the game starts, however.
- A weapon can inflict continuous fire without itself being a fire damage weapon (for example, the Helios's fists). In this case, the attack can hurt models with Immunity:Fire it just won't apply the continuous effect.
- In terms of which player's clock is running down during the Maintenance Phase: The active player will roll for expiration of all the continuous effects. Then the inactive player will roll for all the damages of the continuous effects. (Judge Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Construct - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Limited Employment - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Heavy Artillery - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Focal Point - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Fire! (Edit)
- Although the Crew member is the model technically making the attack, all modifiers are based on the Cannon model. For example, if the Cannon model is within a Windstorm effect but the Crew member isn't, then the attack will suffer the Windstorm. (Infernal Ruling)
- You can use Fire! even when the Commodore is engaged in melee. (mk2 Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Gunnery - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)