Tharn women practicing the rites of the Bloodweavers are true masters of bloodletting. Their devotion to the Devourer Wurm is absolute, and they kill with the visceral immediacy of sacral blades wielded in their own hands. As their blades taste flesh, primal power causes a victim’s heart to race frantically before the blood suddenly ignites and vaporizes into an expanding mist.
The bloodweaver haruspex is able to divine the strands of future and fate from the blood and viscera of her slain foes, bringing the power of divination to the bloodweavers who accompany her in battle. Her bloody fortune-telling guides their strikes with unerring accuracy and imbues them with lethal potency. Through her sacrificial rites, she empowers her sacral blade to act as a conduit for the very energies of life and death.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Tharn Bloodweavers
- 3 Other
Special Order Model
International distributors can still access the entire catalog of models.
- Stealth - Ranged and magic attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5˝ away automatically miss. This model is not an intervening model when determining line of sight from a model more than 5˝ away.
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- She has +1 MAT, +2 CMD, and 5 hitpoints
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: Divine Inspiration - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain Divine Inspiration. (Divine Inspiration - This model gains an extra die on melee attack & damage rolls, but discards the lowest die.)
- Tactics: Advance Deployment - Models in this unit gain Advance Deployment.
- Tactics: Sacred Ward - Models in this unit gain Sacred Ward. (Sacred Ward - This model cannot be targeted by enemy spells.)
- Sacral Blade- 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee attack
- Damage Type: Magical
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Blood Burst - When this attack boxes an enemy living/undead model, center a 5" AOE on the boxed model then RFP it. Enemy models in the AOE are hit and suffer a blast damage roll with a POW equal to the boxed model's STR. This damage is not considered to have been caused by an attack.
- Grievous Wounds - A model hit by this weapon loses Tough and cannot have damage removed from it for one round.
- Life Stealer - When an attack with this weapon destroys an enemy model, immediately after the attack is resolved a friendly living Circle model currently in the attacking Bloodweaver's CMD range can remove d3 damage points.
2018.10 Tharn Dynamic Update
- Gained a Command Attachment
Thoughts on Tharn Bloodweavers
Tharn Bloodweavers in a Nutshell
Tharn Bloodweavers are the conscript infantry amongst the Tharn. Cheap warm bodies with Stealth and Pathfinder. Their special attack types give them some utility, and the ability for one unit to Ambush in The Devourer's Host theme force shouldn't be underestimated.
Thoughts on adding the CA
The Haruspex provides offensive, defensive, and speed upgrades to the base unit via Divine Inspiration, Sacred Ward, and Advance Deploy. Adding her to the unit makes the Bloodweavers much more impactful, meaning the opponent will be far less likely to ignore them.
Combos & Synergies
- Baldur the Stonecleaver - Solid Ground prevents them from being shot off by random blasts, while his feat can protect them from both melee enemies and those who can see through Stealth. Although Stoneskin is usually better on a larger unit, you can throw it on the Bloodweavers to make them (potentially) hit at a respectable POW 13.
- Krueger the Stormwrath - Gang and Lightning Tendrils love each other.
- Iona the Unseen - Surefoot can make them devilishly hard to hit, while Phantasm can keep Eyeless/True Sight shooting off them. Her feat turns them into absolute infantry blenders through both the increased POW and rerolling missed attack rolls; you might not even need Gang during the feat.
- Bloodweaver Night Witch - Killing Spree is absolutely awesome as an ability and enables the Bloodweavers to both shred enemy infantry and to spread out again afterwards. It almost is a case of not bringing the Bloodweavers without the Night Witch.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They're a special order model.
- Wolves of Orboros are both cheaper per model and have a longer threat range
- The Sentry Stone & Mannikins provides even cheaper bodies.
- They struggle without the gang bonus.
- Gang and short melee range means they tend to bunch up. This, combined with their low arm, makes them very vulnerable to blast damage.
- Most infantry don't have strength high enough to actually fear blood burst.
Tricks & Tips
- Jacks and Beasts only need to be hit with Grievous Wounds to be affected by it. Tagging a beast with a crippled aspect or a jack with a crippled cortex can be debilitating for the enemy.
- If a beast is stuck in with an infantry unit that didn't kill it, charging in and using Life Stealer can free the beast and bring its health back up.
- Unit released in Hordes: Metamorphosis (2009)
- CA released at Warmachine Weekend (2018.10)
- Haruspex: (in ancient Rome) a religious official who interpreted omens by inspecting the entrails of sacrificial animals.
Other Circle models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Note to Editors