|We have 1159 articles and 85% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
One of the first warjacks developed by the Protectorate after the Cygnaran Civil War was the Crusader, a massive warjack boasting heavy armor and capable of crushing attacks. It has served as the foundation for several masterpieces of war. The Templar, for one, smashes enemies with overwhelming force from an unassailable position behind its thick shield. Of more recent production, the Vanquisher wields a great “blazing star” spiked ball in one hand and a flame belcher in the other. This weapon sends an oil-filled cannonball that bursts and ignites on impact.
|(★) ARM 21 when you include the Shield bonus|
|See also How to Read the statblock|
- Shield - 1" reach, P+S 13 melee weapon.
- Shield - This weapon is a shield that gives the model a cumulative +2 ARM bonus. A model does not gain this bonus while the weapon system with the shield is crippled or when resolving damage that originates in its back arc.
- Flail - 2" reach, P+S 17 melee weapon.
- Chain Weapon - Attacks with this weapon ignore the ARM bonus from Bucklers, Shields, and Shield Wall.
- Beat Back - Immediately after a basic attack with this weapon is resolved during this model's Combat Action, the enemy model hit can be pushed 1" directly away from the attacking model. After the enemy model is pushed, the attacking model can advance up to 1" directly towards it.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Shield Guard - Once per round, when a friendly model is directly hit by a non-spray ranged attack during your opponent's turn while within 3" of this model, you can choose to have this model directly hit instead. This model is automatically hit and suffers all damage and effects. This model cannot use Shield Guard while it is incorporeal, knocked down, or stationary.
Analysis of the Templar
Templar in a nutshell
The Templar is a big beefy beatstick with a longer threat range than most Protectorate heavies thanks to its large flail, is tougher than most Protectorate heavies thanks to its shield, and shield guards people on the way in before becoming a nasty brawler.
Combos & Synergies
- Choir of Menoth and Vassal of Menoth turn its abilities up a level.
- Shield guard, toughness, and a large chain weapon with Beat back mean that like the Crusader it works well with anyone.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Pricey for what it does
- If you just want a bodyguard for your caster go for a Devout
- If you just want a simple beatstick, get the Crusader for 2/3 price.
Tips & Tricks
- Both the pushing and the advance from Beat Back are optional - occasionally it might come useful, if you want to push out several tough targets, who are just chipping the edge of a zone in a scenario.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth (April 2010)
Themes for non-character warjacks (Edit)
- The Creator's Might - (Article) (Category)
- Exemplar Interdiction - (Article) (Category)
- The Faithful Masses - (Article) (Category)
- Guardians of the Temple - (Article) (Category)
Other Protectorate Models