|We have 1217 articles and 91% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Baldwin (one year review)||Vanguard (one year review)|
| Tempest Blazers |
Tempest Blazers are the cavalry of the Militant Order of the Arcane Tempest. From atop their mounts these pistol-attuned sorcerer-soldiers harry enemy formations with arcane firepower. Even at full gallop Tempest Blazers wield their magelock pistols with deadly accuracy and imbue their rune bullets with supernatural lethality to penetrate magical protections and wards.
Special Order Model
International distributors can still access the entire catalog of models.
- Cavalry - All Cavalry come with a stack of standard special rules, most notably Impact Attacks and auto-boosted charge attacks. Click the link for the full rules text.
- Reposition [5"] - At the end of an activation in which it did not run or fail a charge, this model can advance up to 5", then its activation ends.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Gunfighter - This model can use its ranged weapon(s) even while in melee, but with limitations. Click the link for the full rule.
- Magelock Pistol - 10" range, POW 10 ranged attack
- Damage Type: Magical - This weapon deals Magical damage.
- Attack Type - Each time this weapon is used to make an attack, choose one of the following special rules:
- Brutal Damage - On a direct hit, gain an additional die on this weapon's damage rolls against the target directly hit.
- Electro Leap - When a model is directly hit with a basic attack made with this weapon, you can have lightning arc to the nearest model within 4" of the the model hit, ignoring the attacking model. The model the lightning arcs to suffers an unboostable POW10 electrical damage roll. Lightning arc damage rolls are not considered to have been caused by an attack. Resolve lightning arc damage rolls simultaneously with the damage resulting from the attack that caused the leap.
- Ward Breaker - The weapon gains Blessed.
- Mount - 0.5" reach, POW 10 mount attack
- Sons of the Tempest. You can upkeep spells on this unit for free in this theme.
- Other Factions
Thoughts on Tempest Blazers
Tempest Blazers in a nutshell
Do you want to apply some Brutal Damage or Electro-Leap shots from 19" away? Blazers are the unit you should call on. Their accuracy is good and have the tools to take on most units or models you are likely to face.
Blazers want to flank and generally disrupt your opponent. While they aren't particularly resilient, they can make use of terrain and ambush the enemy from behind terrain very easily thanks to Pathfinder. Despite their low ARM, they can generally attack most infantry units (and most cavalry units) and use reposition to escape any melee-based retribution. Brutal Damage will keep them in business vs heavy infantry and light Warjacks while Electro-Leap will take on any light units.
They're yet another one of Cygnar's great toolbox units.
Combos & Synergies
- Siege welcomes another source of Brutal Damage for his feat turn. With typically only a slight modifier to their damage rolls (and it will frequently be positive) they can destroy multi-box units with ease.
- They use guns. GMCA's Flare rounds help guns.
- Focus-hungry casters such as Captain Kara Sloan and Captain Allister Caine love units that need very little support from their spell list.
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye also likes their independence, and gives your army yet another chance for some Reposition shenanigans.
- Artificer General Nemo's feat allows you to have the equivalent of an Electro-Leap shot alongside a Brutal shot (a normal POW 10 alongside the Electro-Leap with the additional die).
- Snipe makes their threat range very impressive.
- Blur is another good way to keep them safe at range (which is where they should be for most of the game) and with pathfinder, they don't mind hanging around inside forests for a very respectable DEF19.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- They're a special order model.
- Though they are in a theme with premium-priced infantries, their cost is still pretty high for five models.
- Frail, even when compared to other light cavalry units: boosted blast damage, POW10 attacks with only a slight modifier, or POW12 with average rolls will kill them outright
Tricks & Tips
- They can can often get Electro-Leaps onto important support models, even Warcasters/Warlocks before your opponent expects due to their speed. Be on the look out for suitable low DEF models to shoot and leap from. Also, mind the 2018.06 core rule change, which forbids lightning arc to and from models with immunity to electricity.
- They are often referred to as "Murder Ponies", generally far more often than they are called Tempest Blazers.
- Released in the Warmachine: Vengeance expansion (2014)
Other Cygnar models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
| Mount Weapon
Impact Attacks - Movement
Impact Attacks - The attack(s)
Impact Attacks - Other
Missing the Attack Roll
Gunfighter + an AOE weapon
Gunfighter + a spray weapon
Units of Gunfighters