Tanith the Feral Song
| Tanith the Feral Song |
Tanith the Feral Song is a harsh enforcer and remorseless killer. Often she is sent on tasks other young druids might shy away from, such as when another member of the druidic order needs to be punished or when it's deemed necessary to cull an encrouching settlement. Tanith is completely devoted to the Circle Orboros and the Devourer Wurm itself and has delved deeply into the mysteries of the Beast of All Shapes. Even among her peers and subordinates she is kept at a distance, perhaps because they know if it was required she would sacrifice them with no hesitation or remorse.
- Warlock - All warlocks come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome.
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Prowl - While this model has concealment, it gains stealth.
- Jaws of the Earth- 10" range, POW 12 gun.
- Roots of Shadow - On a direct hit against an enemy model, center a 4" AOE on the model hit. Enemy models in the AOE suffer Shadow Bind for one round. (Shadow Bind - A model suffering from Shadow Bind suffers -3 DEF, and for one round when it advances it cannot move except to change facing. Shadow Bind can be shaken.)
- From Beneath - Attacks with this weapon ignore cover and concealment.
- Damage Type: Magical
- Staff of Fate - 2" reach, P+S 11 melee weapon
|When an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6" of target model in the spellcaster's battlegroup, the affected model can immediately advance up to 3", then Admonition expires. The affected model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.|
|Target model/unit suffers -2 DEF. Also if a damage roll from a direct hit fails to damage an affected model, they take 1 point of damage (anyway).|
|When Bleed damages a living enemy model, this model can remove d3 damage points.|
|The AOE is rough terrain and remains in play for one round.|
| Scything Touch
|Target friendly Faction model gains Dark Shroud.
Feat: Rites of the Wurm
- Secret Masters. In this theme she gains Sacrificial Pawn [Minion Warrior].
- The Bones of Orboros. She can start the game with friendly upkeeps in play in this theme.
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
Thoughts on Tanith1
Tanith in a nutshell
Tanith is an offensive spellcaster. She is a mid-ranged warlock who focuses on getting the field set up for the rest of her force by applying debuffs.. She has a lot of tools to reduce DEF, making it easier for your force to wipe out the enemy.
- Tanith's feat can either be used early as an alpha strike or it can be saved for a turn you need to spam spells.
- Use Tanith's feat to expand your threat angles and spam the (now cheaper) bleed to assassinate softer casters hiding in the back.
- Primal costs 1 fury on her feat turn. Putting it on all of beasts can be a serious game changer.
- Due to some awkward skornegy with one of the benefits from the Wild Hunt some beasts animus actually cost more fury after Tanith uses her feat. Be aware of the order of activations on her feat turn.
- This is because her feat overrides the theme benefit, placing the minimum cost clause on top. (See link in the #Rules Clarifications, below)
- Affliction and Roots of the Shadow is a very effective combo, although it does mean Tanith needs to get close to the enemy.
- Using Affliction combined with a high volume of attacks will ensure that any heavy jack or beast can be taken down with ease. For example with Reeves of Orboros's ROF 2 guns, or any cheap infantry that costs half the points of a Reeve.
- Sprays also become very effective against single wound infantry, even higher armor units (like shield walled troops).
- Scything Touch
- Circle has many solos and units, along with 3 beasts, that have 2 inch melee weapons. These are excellent choices for the spell Scything Touch because it effects a large area and effects all enemies in that area.
- Cast it on a War Wolf then run him and use sic'em for a -2 ARM to an enemy 21.5 inch away.
She is considered to be one of the best battlebox casters. Her strategy for these 0 point games is to make use of her feat to have a large swing turn with any of the beasts available to her; 1 cost Wraithbane off the Pureblood Warpwolf against casters with DEF/ARM buffs, Primal from the Gorax Rager to either trade off a Wild Argus or throw in the Pureblood if the situation calls for it. Affliction offers a MAT fix against any battle boxes that rely on high DEF, and the animus on the Argus allows for an even better MAT fix, bringing them down to DEF 5.
If you save the feat for an assassination, you can get a DEF 5 target with 3 sets of Bleed with boosted damage into the target. Or you can rock yourself up, shoot with your gun, apply Shadow Bind, and spell away, with bonus points for running two beasts into their back arc, one to channel spells through, and the other to apply dark shroud via upkeep.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Tanith has an average FURY stat that will run out quickly even when she feats.
- Due to the range on her attacks and spells, she is forced to be closer to a fight than is safe. Be careful not to put yourself in a bad position while trying to set up your force.
Tricks & Tips
- Use Tanith before attacking key targets with the rest of your force, as she makes the targets easier to hit.
List Building Advice
Beyond the battlebox, Tanith is primarily a de-buff caster so she can make even mediocre units are decent, and good units really shine. She is however pretty fragile so watch out she isn't too exposed to an assassination. Because she wants to play closer to the action having shield guards, transfers, triggers for her prowl or line of sight blockers are all a good idea. You may also consider putting her Admonition spell on her. That said, getting shadowbind out with her ranged attack is very good and the def de-buff stacks with Affliction.
With the exception of one small issue between the Wild Hunt and her feat turn, Tanith is one of the few casters then can run any of the Circle themes fairly well.
- Reeves of Orboros synergize well with the Affliction + Roots of Shadow combo.
- Tharn Bloodtrackers synergize well with the Affliction + Roots of Shadow combo.
- Druid Wilder's help spread out her army on feat turn, and works in most themes.
- A Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew is a cheap way to trigger Tanith's Prowl, or even Loki's.
- Loki is her pet warbeast that she can take in any theme. She appreciates his shield guard quite a bit.
- Tanith has excellent synergy with the any of the Griffons which, on feat turn, can use their high speed and flight to get into position behind the enemy before she channels through them; this allows Tanith to get the backstrike bonus, ignore shields, etc.
- Alternatively you might be better off using a Shadowhorn Satyr instead for its Bounding Leap.
- A Wild Argus can help ensure that Tanith easily hits with her offensive spells by paralyzing non-reach targets.
- Gnarlhorn Satyr + Admonition = Fun. The enemy moves towards you, then you Admonition away, then you countercharge back in.
- When a Woldwarden or Megalith geomancy Bleed they can remove d3 damage. They are also an excellent means of casting Rift. The Woldwarden's animus is another way to get Prowl.
- Released at the start of Mk3 (2016.06).
- Tanith's weapon "The Staff of Fate" is made from one of Wurmwoods living branches and was given to her by her master, Vernor the Nightbringer, when she completed her druidic training.
Other Circle models
Video Battle Reports
- 2018.08 Arcane Assist 75 points vs Ashlynn
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Rules Clarification : Feat:Rites of the Wurm
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Caster - Attack roll
Stealth - It affects both LOS and the attack roll
| * What does trigger Admonition