Swamp Gobber River Raider
|As of 2022.08 Warmachine University has turned into an archive for Mk3 rules (3rd Edition).|
Refer to the Privateer Press website for all modern Mk4 (4th Edition) related content.
This site has been kept online for any players who want to continue using Mk3 rules and/or anyone who wants to compare Mk4 Legacy models to Mk3 models.
More information can be found on the Talk:Main Page area of this wiki.
| Swamp Gobber River Raider |
Mark IV Status: Prime - This model is available in one Prime Army, Talion Charter. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Although many gobbers have gained acceptance at the fringes of society, swamp gobbers have always held a particularly unsavory reputation, and those who serve as river raiders among the pirate crews that prey on western Immoren are no exception. With rusted hooks, axes, and swords, they hack into their enemies with a savagery common only to the wilds.
|Swamp Gobber River Raider|
- Dual Attack - This model can make melee and ranged attacks in the same activation. When this model makes its initial melee attacks or a power attack, it can also make its initial ranged attacks. This model can make ranged attacks even while in melee.
- Prowl - While this model has concealment, it gains stealth.
|Poisoned Hand Weapon|
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this model in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Crosse2 is leading the army.
- Trollblood players can use this model in the Vengeance of Dhunia theme.
- Furthermore, Minion models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Swamp Gobber River Raider
Swamp Gobber River Raider in a nutshell
Swamp Gobber River Raiders are fantastic throwaway bodies. They are cheaper per model than just about any unit except Mechanithralls and can fill the pesky final point in your army. On the table, they block charge lanes or get in weird places.
They are tremendous scenario pieces allowing you to contest things far away without giving anything of value up, and occasionally they'll hit a Weaken on a Titan or Dire Troll or something. Plus they score flags.
For some reason they also have an ARM debuff that works on Archons, Warjacks and Undead on their Hand Weapon, which is great.
Combos & Synergies
- First Mate Hawk - Privateer Sea Dogs. POW 6 with 3 damage dice against warriors! Arrr!
- Anyone that can make them more likely to hit
- Fiona the Black likes cheap models to channel through that can get to weird places.
- Shae it’s all about speed with Shae you can stick these guys some odd places.
- Rahera they benefit from black spot, her feat and reducing enemy ranges helps deliver them.
- They have an impressive synergy with Helga the Conqueror's feat. Swamp Gobbers move forward, reel in and are placed into the back arc of the enemy. They now have a rather good chance of hitting the enemy and slamming the models forward and thus closer to your own models. Assumes you hit both attacks of course. They are also pretty good for triggering Gang Fighter.
- They are the second cheapest choice for Barnabas, Lord of Blood to trigger with his feat, with only the shamblers from the Gatorman Bokor & Bog Trog Swamp Shamblers being cheaper.
- Trollblood/Minion players can use them in Vengeance of Dhunia this opens up some other caster synergies (such a Grim2, where they are great with Mark Target and Snipe) but also offers the Krielstone for +2 ARM
Drawbacks & Downsides
- You get what you pay for. DEF 14 models that cost less than most conscript infantry and have both a ranged and melee attack.
- One of the few mercenary models that doesn't work for The Irregulars.
- being bound to Talion Charter means you can only play them with 4 casters in mercenaries.
- MAT/RAT 5 can be a real problem. The MAT can be fixed if you reel into the enemy back arc, but you still need to connect the RAT 5 shot to do so. The low range also means aiming the shot is not on the table in most cases.
- They will usually never damage anything with their weapons, but their key abilities rely on hitting, not damaging, anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Tricks & Tips
- Hold them back and run to contest.
- Use them to block charge lanes of anything you would put an arm buff on - Put pillows on the fists of any enemy living model who eyeballs them the wrong way with a weak but effective free strike. The enemy now needs to waste attacks trying to hit annoying little gobbers or accept that their heavies are now even easier to hit and punch like lights.
- Released 2015.10
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2021.08.
Other Theme Forces
Circle Orboros (Edit)
- Secret Masters. This theme doesn't have a limit on how many Minion solos you can take. Also, you can spend Requistion Points on Minion solos.
- The Bones of Orboros
- The Devourer's Host
- The Wild Hunt
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Faction models
|Minion Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warlock attachments||Targ - Gatorman Soul Slave|
|Solos||Farrow||Agata, Queen of Carnage - Farrow Sapper - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Targ|
Barnabas0 - Bog Trog Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Bone Shrine - Croak Hunter - Flugwug the Filcher - Gatorman Husk - Gatorman Soul Slave - Gatorman Witch Doctor - Kwaak Slickspine & Gub - Longchops - Underchief Mire - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
Alten Ashley - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Brun Cragback & Lug - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Death Archon - Dhunian Archon - Efaarit Scout - Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - Feralgeist - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 & Dez2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kogan the Exile - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Ledfoot & Tredz - Malvin2 - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Ogrun Bokur - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Primal Archon - Pyg Tank - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Swamp Gobber Chef - Swamp Gobber River Raiders - Thamarite Advocate - The Wastelander - Thrullg - Totem Hunter - Tubbin - Viktor Pendrake - Void Archon - Weird Wendell
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher (Farrow) - Sacral Vault (Gatorman)|
|Independent Warjack||Malvin1 & Mayhem1|
|Minion - Theme Forces|
|Minion Faction Themes (Edit)||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance - Vengeance of Dhunia - Will Work for Food|
|Unlimited Minions themes(Edit)||Disciples of Agony (Skorne) - Oracles of Annihilation (Legion) - Secret Masters (Circle)|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
Rules Clarification : Poisoned Hand Weapon
|* If you fail a charge, then you do not get to make ranged attacks.