|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Stormsmith Stormcaller |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.11. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Able to harness the power and fury of the storm, the Stormsmiths wreak havoc on the battlefield.
The Khadorans came over the hill and the sky lit up with lightning. You couldn't even hear them screaming over the thunder.
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this unit in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Sloan is leading the army
- Mercenary and Convergence players can use this unit in the Strange Bedfellows theme. They gain Swift Vengeance in this theme
Thoughts on Stormsmith Stormcaller
Stormsmith Stormcaller in a nutshell
Despite their look of electric wizards Stormcallers are actually a type of veteran gun armed infantry who get to shoot stealth models and come with a rock-bottom price tag. If you are not using them as point-filler, you can get a bunch of capable combat solos who can score flags and contest scenario elements quite well.
They shoot adequately on their own but if they have friends and spread out, their abilities essentially add to their ROF in quite a odd way. Usually surge and triangulate are limited by order of activation of other Stormsmiths, with 1 needing to run to get a good position so the other 2 to do work.
A Stormsmith is unlikely to crack armour on its own and it should always be focusing its efforts on similarly costed low armour infantry.
Special mention goes to these guys in Strange Bedfellows where they both benefit from and cheaply trigger Swift Vengeance. Allowing them to set up their attacks better with free movement.
Combos & Synergies
- Nemo2's Veteran Leader ability boosts their MAT to OK level, while their RAT to Gun Mage level in his CMD zone.
- You can get them free in the Storm Division theme. However as 1 of the cheapest things you can take for free this isn’t advised.
The Lightning Posse:
- Firefly and Stormguard for extra lightning damage (and Nemo3 on feat turn)
- Storm Strider for extra accuracy, plus another source for Surge or Triangulation.
- Stormblade Infantry's command attachment counts as a Stormsmith for special attacks. The Stormwall's Lightning Pods also count as one Stormsmith for these purposes.
- They of course combo with each other. Your maximum allowance gives you nine of them - for about the price of a minimum unit of other models.
In Strange Bedfellows
As mercenaries and convergence models the Storm Callers lose access to some support but gain other valuable options.
- Aurora1 - speeds them up, when you add in Swift Vengeance they really can move.
- Destructotron 3000 offers them extra accuracy
- the Firefly still exists in this theme
Drawbacks & Downsides
- As far as single-wound point fillers go, they have few drawbacks apart from paper armour. You often get way more than what you paid for.
- Setting up their attack types requires more of your list being dedicated to Stormsmith’s mitigating the value of taking just 1 as a points filler. But chances are, you already planned on bringing a Storm Strider, or a Stormblade Infantry CA or two anyway.
Tricks & Tips
- They're solos so direct buff spells, like Deadeye, are ineffective on them.
- If you run a couple of Stormsmiths to set up triangulation you can get a lot more shots off.
- Don't be afraid to run one behind enemy lines so the other two can stand still and aim during the triangulation.
- Their greatest boon is ignoring Stealth, but they're also useful against models with Dig In and/or Incorporeal.
- Surge and Triangulation are not affected by abilities that decrease the RNG of your guns.
- Released in Warmachine: Escalation (2004)
Other Cygnar models
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Electricity (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Disruption (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Stormcall - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Surge and Triangulation (Edit)