|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Stormfall Archers |
This model is available in one Prime Army, Legions of Dawn. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Stormfall archers are walking artillery batteries who can unleash a firestorm of destruction from an arsenal of alchemical ammunition. Requiring only their great compound bows to send their firepower across the battlefield, these archers are quite unlike the slow-moving cannon crews of the human kingdoms.
- None - Attack Types are all the abilities they need!
Stormfall Archers may have up to 3 Soulless Escorts added to them. The escort's info has been omitted from this article for brevity.
- Defenders of Ios. Stormfall Archers gain Reposition  in this theme.
Thoughts on Stormfall Archers
Stormfall Archers in a nutshell
The roundears have cannon crews and gun crews and sunburst crews. You've got archers with bombs strapped to them.
Legolas and company have/are an offensive toolbox. Their RAT is kinda low, so it's more common than not to stand still to get the Aim bonus.
Combos & Synergies
The Archers' main drawback is their poor RAT. Anything that can fix it tags along nicely with them.
- Lord Arcanist Ossyan - his gun is a built-in solution for RAT fixing, and his feat gives Brutal Shot a new meaning
- Ravyn, Eternal_Light - so far your only caster with Snipe, and a feat which allows you to deliver very accurate, and potentially long range, Brutal Damage shots.
- Rahn - Force Hammer can knock targets down, while Telekinesis increases the threat range by up to 2" and maybe effective RAT +2.
- Issyria - her feat helps control your attack/damage dice, and solves issues with Stealth.
- Banshee and Arcantrik Force Generator- good sources for knockdown on your target.
- House Shyeel Magister - Combo Smite or Force Bolt can both knockdown as well (or even Whipsnap to reposition one of them if you can pull it off).
- The Defenders of Ios theme gives them Reposition - excellent tool to move in once your targets is dead, or fall back if you failed to cause damage.
- Houseguard Thane - Use his Firing Solution when you want to engage stealthy models.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- For a bunch of elite elven archers, their RAT is pretty low. Find ways to knock the enemy down or fix their RAT one way or the other.
- Brutal Damage and Star Strike need a direct hit, and the latter also needs the fire effect to work. In the armor-heavy world of MK3 it's less useful.
Tricks & Tips
- Got trouble with stealth infantry and no Thane around to help you out? Use the Snipe attack type and blind-fire AOEs into their general direction. Even if they miss, with some lucky scatter a few blast usually land among the unit and kill or wound several. Don't forget that there is always a reasonable chance of their 3" AOE hitting a small based model (scatter distance 1-2 always hits... because maths!).
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Other Retribution models
Rules Clarification : Attack Type and/or Arcane Savant (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Brutal Damage and/or Brutal Shot (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Snipe (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Star Strike (Edit)