Theme - Storm of the North
| Theme - Storm of the North |
For generations the Northkin have stood as disparate clans, fighting one another as often as they battled the many rivals who surround them. For the first time in centuries, these hardy northern folk now fight for a common purpose. Resilient warriors wage war alongside the legendary warbeasts of the trollkin, while powerful warlocks wield arcane might to enhance the battle prowess of their warbands. All opposition is crushed beneath the Northkin onslaught or is frozen and shattered by the power of winter itself.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on this Theme Force
- 3 Other
- An army made using the Storm of the North theme force can include only the following Trollblood models:
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
- All Trollblood warlocks
- All non-character Trollblood warbeasts
- Other character warbeasts can be taken, but only if they have a bond and they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Kriel Warriors
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
- Long Riders
- Northkin Bears
- Northkin Fire Eaters
- Northkin Raiders
- Pyg Lookouts
- Trollkin Champions
- Fell Caller Hero
- Northkin Shaman
- Trollkin Champion Hero
- Trollkin Runebearer
- Troll Whelps
- Valka Curseborn
- One solo
- One unit
- This army can also include one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Trollbloods.
- These models/units can be included even if they have the Partisan [Trollblood] rule.
- Minion units can have attachments, including a Ranking Officer
- For every 20 points of Trollblood units and Trollblood battle engines in this army, you can add free of cost either:
- One Trollblood CA, or
- One medium-based Trollblood solo.
- Free CA do not count toward the total point value of Trollblood units in the army when calculating this bonus.
- Warlocks in this army can upkeep spells on friendly Northkin model/units without spending fury.
- Non-warlock Trollblood warrior models in this army become Northkin models and gain Immunity: Cold.
- This effectively means that you get free upkeeps on everything in your army, except for some warbeasts.
- Before models are deployed, you can place two 4" AOE snowdrift terrain features anywhere within 20" of the rear edge of your deployment zone. Models without Immunity: Cold treat snowdrifts as rough terrain. Models with Immunity: Cold gain concealment while completely within a snowdrift.
No changes since 2017.09
Thoughts on this Theme Force
Storm of the North in a nutshell
While most themes try to be mini-factions, this is one of the few that truly is - with lots of potential playstyles and -rounded options to choose from. It has decent heavy melee (bears, champs, Long Riders), decent shooting (Fire Eaters, Raiders, Lookouts), its own Krielstone attachment that can make everyone faster, and in general it's a great all round theme.
Between Northkin Fire Eaters, Northkin Raiders, and Pyg Lookouts and a mostly ranged battlegroup you can put together a pretty impressive Kriel Company-style gunline with a slightly better threat range thanks to the movement buff, and massive scenario presence thanks to the advance deployment. On the other hand between the Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears, the Trollkin Champions, and the Long Riders you can put together a Band of Heroes style melee infantry line - and between the bears and the specialist Northkin Krielstone you hit harder against enemy bricks although don't get the RFP effect.
And with all the advance deployment and even ambushes allowed to this theme you can have some pretty impressive scenario presence.
This means that anyone looking to start trolls might find this a very good place to start.
Unlike most themes, the Storm of the North has a starter set. This is not a good purchase as you only save about 2% over buying the contents individually and, unless you're a brand new Troll player, you probably already own a Krielstone unit.
The contents are:
- A 6-man unit of Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes plus their Northkin command attachment.
- A 3-man unit of Northkin Fire Eaters.
- A 3-man unit of Northkin Bear Handler & Battle Bears.
- 5 Troll Whelps solos
- A Trollkin Runebearer solo
- Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North, a character solo
- This adds up to 29 points, plus Valka who you'll take as your first free card.
You'll notice that there is no warlock or warbeasts included.
List Building Tips
There are far too many options to this theme to really narrow it down other than that the Krielstone is normally bought with the Northkin attachment rather than the regular Stone Scribe. Unfortunately, without the regular Stone Scribe, your main way of dealing with incorporeal enemies will need to come from from the Northkin Shaman, Trollkin Sorcerer, and/or Bog Trog Mist Speaker.
The most expensive options you can get for free are:
- Valka Curseborn, Chieftain of the North (6 points)
- Fell Caller Hero (5 points)
- Trollkin Champion Hero (5 points)
- Skaldi Bonehammer (the Trollkin Champions' Command Attachment) (5 points)
- Trollkin Runebearer - you'll know if you want one based on your warlock. (5 points)
Note that the following warbeasts are Northkin and will benefit from free upkeeps:
- Dire Troll Brawler
- Glacier King
- Ice Troll
- Troll Basher
- Winter Troll
- And anything in Borka2's battlegroup
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes
- Leader & 5 Grunts 
- Stone Scribe Elder 
- Trollkin Champions
- Leader & 4 Grunts 
- Skaldi [Free]
Casters of Note
- Borka is a Northkin, and Borka2 in particular gains nice things from this theme.
- Jarl Skuld loves to upkeep for free. Especially as it's the only way he is ever going to be able to fuel the Krielstone.
Released in the Themeopolcalypse (2017.09)
Other Trollblood models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]