Theme - Storm Division
| Theme - Storm Division |
Cygnar’s Storm Division is an autonomous military force that delivers the flash of lightning and the roll of thunder to the battlefields of Immoren. The division couples the latest voltaic weaponry and hardware produced by the Cygnaran Armory with the service of skilled soldiers. More Storm Knights fight with the Storm Division than with any other force in Cygnar, and with the aid of accomplished stormsmiths these elite warriors make up a highly mobile army capable of bringing the fury of the storm to Cygnar’s enemies.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Storm Division
- 3 Caster Thoughts
- 4 Other
An army made using the Storm Division theme force can include only the following Cygnar models:
- Cygnar warcasters
- Non-character warjacks
- Artificer Prime Nemo
- Mechanik models/units
- Storm Knight models/units
- Stormsmith models/units
- Journeyman Warcaster solos
- Lieutenant Allison Jakes
- Savio Montero Acosta
- Squire solos
- This army can also include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for Cygnar.
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2020.02 (Edit)
- All Cygnar warcasters
- All non-character warjacks
- Other character warjacks can be taken, but only if they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Field Mechaniks
- Silver Line Stormguard
- Storm Lances
- Stormblade Infantry
- Stormguard Infantry
- Stormsmith Grenadiers
- Stormsmith Storm Tower
- Trencher Combat Engineers
- Captain Arlan Strangewayes
- Lieutenant Gwen Keller
- Major Katherine Laddermore
- Sir Dreyfus the Storm Knight
- Stormblade Captain
- Stormsmith Stormcallers
- Journeyman Warcaster
- Savio Montero Acosta (★)
- Up to one unit
- Up to one solo
(★) Because these models are specifically allowed in this theme, they don't use up your Mercenary slot.
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Stormsmith weapon crew unit
- One Cygnar CA
- Three Stormsmith Stormcaller solos
- One small- or medium-based Cygnar solo
- Cygnar models/units in this army gain Immunity: Electricity.
- Storm Knight models in this army gain Unyielding.
- Unyielding - This model gains +2 ARM against melee damage rolls.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Brickhouse and Dynamo added to the list of allowed models.
- Murdoch removed from the list of allowed models.
- Savio no longer gets quasi-Partisan from this theme (instead he will have it innately)
- Second benefit changed to Storm Knights getting Unyielding. (It used to be just Stormblade units got Advance Move.)
- Can get any Cygnar CA for free (used to be only Storm Knight)
- Can get a medium-based solo for free. The upcoming model Sir Dreyfus is the only medium base Cygnar solo known at this time.
2020.02 Strange Bedfellows
- Nemo4 added to this theme.
Thoughts on Storm Division
- Please add some thoughts on Nemo4, then delete this tag
Storm Division in a nutshell
Do you like Storm Knights or Stormsmiths? Well, good news! This is the theme for you. If you intend to maximise the benefits from the theme, you are likely to have quite a strong melee force if you're picking Cygnar's best units (by which I mean Storm Lances).
- Every friendly Cygnar model is safe from your electro leaps and lightnings - worry not of shooting near your repair crews.
- Most of your troops sport decently high accuracy and damage.
- Cygnar's low ARM casters are protected from Electro-Leap lightning shenanigans.
Pathfinder is quite limited. For an army that can skew towards melee quite easily, this can become a big issue. Your only way to grant Pathfinder in this theme is via warcasters or your single Mercenary solo:
- Onslaught on Major Beth Maddox
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye's Iron Horse ability - which includes only his battlegroup
- Ghost Walk on Major Prime Victoria Haley
Low to medium model count
Being an army of elite soldiers typically means you might have a lowish model count. Also, they have low DEF scores.
- Protect your investment of expensive elite soldiers with abilities that improve their armor.
List Building Advice
- Stormblade Captain - if you favor Storm Knights, his Tactician rule makes like a lot easier for getting your different units into place.
- Taking a Journeyman Warcaster is almost always worth it. Both Stormblade Infantry and Storm Lances have decent armor that can be made pretty great by the inclusion of Arcane Shield.
- It's all about the lightning, so bringing models such as the Firefly to increase your damage output is a good idea. Just keep in mind that all of your in-faction models are unable to arc lightning into the enemy.
- Your mercenaries are not safe from lightning. Keep that in mind if you sent an important support solo within arcing range.
Starting a 25 point list
If you want to try this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Stormblade Infantry with CA 
She has a great spell list for Storm Division
- Stormblades make particularly good use of Dauntless Resolve because they cannot be knocked down the turn they use Iron Zeal making them potentially very difficult to kill.
- Onslaught can provide the faction wide pathfinder you need to deliver your powerful melee attacks across the battlefield.
- Her feat Thundering Rage heavily amps up the power your Stormknights already powerful attacks. It should allow you to crack some very hard armor skews.
- Being a Stormknight herself, she will benefit from Laddermore or any Stormblade Captains you include.
He favors melee oriented gameplay making him good for Storm Division.
- Deflection can make Stormknight hard to kill at range with small arms fire.
- Stormknights are very grateful recipients of Strkyer 2's feat. The extra movement and attack are very powerful seeing as they operate off of their powerful attacks.
She has a wide set of tools allowing the Storm Division to operate in a wide number of matches.
- Ghost Walk and Revive on Haley Future ae excellent on Stormlances. They are absolutely worth reviving and can use the Ghostly to disengage using reposition without risking free strikes.
Armor skew list with ability to remove single heavy targets and annihilate infantry
- Playing the new and improved storm strider in a pair with a hurricane can be incredibly durable especially with invincibility with two of them being ARM:27, plus with fireflies and the abilities on storm strider the electrical guns are accurate and can crack armor rather effectively.
- Released near the start of Mk3 (2016)
- This is Lord Commander Stryker's personal division.
Other Cygnar themes
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Themes that change a model's Faction [Show/Hide]
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Including Partisan Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
See also these Theme-Specific Rulings [Show/Hide]