Steelhead Cannon Crew
|We have 1327 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Steelhead Cannon Crew |
As the Steelhead Mercenary Company evolved into a larger outfit, capable of fielding full armies for hire, it saw the need to develop an artillery division. This cannon is the mainstay Steelhead artillery weapon, providing blasts of concussive firepower to complement withering volleys of riflemen and the charge of halberdiers. The heavy explosive charge packed into cannon ordnance is quite capable of knocking anyone caught in the blast to the ground, disrupting the formations of advancing soldiers and leaving even those who survive its lacerating shrapnel shaken.
|Steelhead Cannon Crew|
- Man-Sized - This model is treated as a small-based model and occupies the space from the bottom of its base to a height of 1.75".
- Mobile Artillery - When this model advances as part of its Normal Movement, it gains +1" movement for each Grunt in this unit within 2" of it at the start of its advance.
- Take Up - If this model is destroyed, you can choose a Grunt in this unit within 1" of it to be destroyed instead. Effects on this model expire, and it gains the effects on the chosen Grunt. Remove the Grunt from the table instead of this model. This model has the same number of unmarked damage boxes as the chosen Grunt.
- Other Factions
- Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
- Aside from that, there are a few themes that will change what Faction this model counts as (and thus what "friendly Faction only" buffs it can receive). They are:
Thoughts on the Steelhead Cannon Crew
Steelhead Cannon Crew in a nutshell
In a nutshell? It's a cannon - it does what it says on the tin.
The Cannon Crew is one of the scarier pieces in the Steelhead theme with both Brutal Damage and Knockdown on direct hits. It also has modest anti-infantry utility with a POW 7 blast.
Combos & Synergies
- Played in Soldiers of Fortune (the Steelhead theme) with Mark the Target on solos it gets more accurate.
- Captain Damiano's Money Shot makes its shot much more powerful and highly accurate - even more so with Deadeye.
- The Steelhead Gunner can grant an additional damage dice against huge bases allowing 4 dice damage. He also adds Veteran Leader to help with the low RAT.
- The Steelhead Arcanist grants it magic weapon and deals with clouds.
- Durgen Madhammer appreciates this piece more than most thanks to his feat as 2 of these will have 4 or even 5 dice damage on his feat turn should they hit directly.
- General Ossrum can cast Fire For Effect on the piece, which could potentially be a 5 dice POW 14 shot against a huge base when you pile on Siege Tactics.
- Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye can bring back their grunts.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Range 14 is fairly low and incoming fire has right of way
- RAT 5 is likely to miss anything smaller than a heavy without a buff.
Tricks & Tips
- Bulldoze something easy to hit with your cavalry near a high DEF model, shoot it with the cannon and knock down the high DEF target.
- Having a decent range, quake and high accuracy (in Soldiers of Fortune) the cannon can be the first step in setting up assassinations.
- Mobile Artillery requires the crew to be within 2". The Ironhead can place the cannon 2". Use this to get some extra threat distance!
- Released 2019.03
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Mercenary models