|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
| Soulless Escort |
This model has not (yet) been updated with Mk IV rules, as of 2022.12. Privateer Press have promised it will get updated ... eventually.
You can view the Mk3 models that have been updated on this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
While Retribution handlers endeavor to train soulless as soldiers, some are destined to serve another function. Energy flows sent to destroy Retribution soldiers are siphoned into the body of the soulless. If they siphon too much it prompts complete organ failure. Heart and lungs burst from hostile energy pouring into the soulless, while leaving those allies around him untouched.
Attachment [ Retribution ] - This model can be added to a small- or medium-based Retribution unit.
- Attachment Deployment - If this model is attached to a unit with Advance Deployment, it gains Advance Deployment. If it is attached to a unit with Ambush, it gains Ambush.
- Disbinding (★ Action) - Enemy upkeep spells and animi on this model and its unit immediately expire.
- Mage Static - While this model is in formation, enemy magic attacks targeting a model in its unit suffer -5 RNG.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 9 melee weapon.
Since the Escort can be attached to any unit, he can fit in any theme.
Thoughts on Soulless Escort
Soulless Escort in a nutshell
The Soulless Escort makes units harder to hit by spells. Disbinding is a rarely used action to clear off pesky upkeep spells, but never hesitate to tell your opponent if they're playing to an early game debuff plan, 'cos when it's needed, it can be a life-saver. These guys are ideal choices to spend your last remaining point, but beware: they have some Skornergy in their stats and abilities. Though Attached Deployment would suggest you to field with stealthy units, like Mage Hunters, the lack of Stealth can invite pinpoint AoEs, and more important, electro leaps on these low ARM units if he stands too close. With the 2018 October update a unit of Mage Hunter Infiltrators can ambush the enemy in the Shadows of the Retribution theme, so the Soulless Escorts' presence won't deny you this theme bonus - just remember to keep your distance from the rest of the squad members.
Combos & Synergies
- As squishy units are mostly out of consideration, you probably want to include him in tougher units, mainly Dawnguards to be defended from magical attacks. They can live long enough, so you can remove enemy upkeeps with Disbinding. However, as it is an action, you can only use it in turns where your unit didn't run, or charged. If Disbinding would be an "any time during your activation" ability, it would have much more utility.
- Having mentioned Dawnguard... Dawnguard Sentinels like having a Soulless Escort in tow for the above reasons and Vengeance. As a member of the unit, though the Soulless Escort doesn't get to move and attack from Vengeance, lacking the rule, if it dies to an enemy attack, then the main unit has legitimate cause to get grouchy in return. And given that a Soulless Escort costs 1pt while a regular Sentinel costs the best part of 2pts, it's obvious who they'd like to die first!
- That said, squishy units can still benefit, making DEF debuff spells like Marked For Death much harder to nail, and Ret's squishy units like nothing more than to be kept free of DEF debuffs. And Vengeance also applies to the Spears of Scyrah, too.
- Kaelyssa doesn't overtly benefit, but her general anti-magic toolbox (Banishing Ward/Blur/Dispel) make Soulless Escorts a useful addition to her lists to make her army very annoying to play against for magic-reliant armies and spellslingers.
- Houseguard Halberdiers have to worry a bit less about spells like Rebuke with an Escort nearby. They can reach mid field in Shield Wall as quickly as top of turn 1 with Desperate Pace + Reposition. If enemies will try to remove their ARM bonus via Rebuke, they'll have to walk in (or send an arc node) within 5" - and even if they do, you can disbind it in the next turn.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Not much combat potential to talk about.
- Poor DEF in low ARM units, poor ARM in low-DEF units. And still worse in both for mid-ARM/mid-DEF units...
- Armies with not much magic basically makes these guys a waste of points. Know thy enemy!
- Marginally useful versus arced spells and completely useless against magical sprays.
- They don't have stealth so they can be used as beacons for e-leaps, AOE guns and the like, which can make them a hindrance more than a boon to units with native stealth
Tricks & Tips
- At the very least they are another body so there's blocking potential (though Voidtracers can also do that and are solos).
- Occasionally you can send them into position to trigger Vengeance or Righteous Vengeance. They might be your cheapest models for that role.
- You can attach these guys to a heavy rifle team. Very rare in Warmahordes to have WA for artillery - though it will be really high on the "top corner-case ever" list.
- Got a 74pt list with units? Problem solved.
- Always remember... they're an extra body for the basement bargain price of 1pt (a luxury that not many factions have, and in Ret's case, available in every theme and situationally useful irrespective of friendly circumstances), so don't complain if they end up not doing much, because chances are, they'll do more than they should, since most of what they do (and are good for) is passive.
Released in Forces of Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah (Novermber 2009)
Other Retribution models
Rules Clarification : Soulless Escort
Rules Clarification: : Magical Damage (Edit)
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Attachment (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Soulless - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Attachment Deployment - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Disbinding - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Mage Static (Edit)