Captain Kara Sloan
|We have 1265 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Captain Kara Sloan |
Captain Kara Sloan goes to war as a one-woman rifle brigade. When focused on the destruction of her foe, every warjack she commands becomes linked to the pull of her rifle’s trigger to unleash a barrage of unparalleled accuracy and power simultaneously. Armed with her custom magelock rifle, she walks into the most vicious of firefights without hesitation and always emerges the victor.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Thoughts on Captain Kara Sloan
- 3 List Building Advice
- 4 Other
- Warcaster - All warcasters come with a stack of standard special rules - most notably being awesome. (Click the link for a full rundown.)
- True Sight - This model ignores cloud effects when determining LOS. This model also ignores Stealth.
- Field Marshal [True Sight] - Warbeasts/warjacks in this model's battlegroup gain True Sight.
- Spitfire - 14" range, POW 12 gun.
- Sword - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon that you hope to never use.
| Dust to Dust
|If an enemy warrior model is boxed by this spell, they are RFP'd and replaced with a 3" AOE cloud that lasts for one round.|
| Fire Group
|While models in the spellcaster's battlegroup are in its control range, their ranged weapons gain +2 RNG. Fire Group lasts for one turn.|
| Guided Fire
|While in the caster's control range, models in their battlegroup gain boosted ranged attack rolls. Lasts for one turn.|
|At the end of an activation in which the target friendly Faction model hit an enemy model with an attack, the affected model can make a full advance that ignores free strikes.|
| Return Fire
|When target friendly Faction model is targeted by an enemy ranged attack, after the attack is resolved the affected model can make one basic melee or ranged attack, then Return Fire expires. Return Fire lasts for one round.|
Feat - Firing Squad
- Sloan immediately casts Fire Group without spending focus.
- Additionally, Sloan and models in her battlegroup beginning their activation in her control range can make one additional ranged attack during their activations.
Firing Squad lasts for one turn.
- Hearts of Darkness. Sloan becomes an Infernal warcaster in this theme.
2019.06 Infernal Release
- She is part of the new Hearts of Darkness theme.
Thoughts on Captain Kara Sloan
Captain Kara Sloan in a nutshell
Kara went from one of Cygnar's most neglected casters to the epitome of a gunline caster. She wants to shoot her opponent off the table with her battlegroup from a long way away. While Sloan doesn't mulch infantry to the same degree as either versions of Caine, she typically brings a few high quality shots in the form of Defenders, Hunters and sometimes Chargers to the table to annihilate enemy armor. Her Field Marshal ability means the enemy can do very little to hide from her.
She is one of five Cygnaran battlegroup warcasters:
- Captain Allison Jakes - speed and fast melee hit and run
- Captain E. Dominic Darius - brawl and win the attrition game
- Captain Kara Sloan - shoot the enemy to pieces
- Captain Jeremiah Kraye - Run and Gun shooter
- Artificer General Nemo & Storm Chaser Finch - fully loading battle group backed up by shooting.
This one is much like Haley1's feat, tailored to your battlegroup. In its mechanics it is pretty self-explanatory; you and your jacks like shooting, and you will do it even more efficiently than usual. Remember, it only grants you an additional ranged attack, so jacks and colossi with multiple weapons won't get to fire all their guns again. Watch out for quick enemies, who will try to force you to pop your feat early. With Reinholdt and your feat you have excellent chances to shoot pretty much any warcaster you can get line of sight on. If going for assassination, remember to remove Shield Guards, models eligible for Sucker! or Sacrificial Pawn, and other means, which would waste your shots.
- Dust to Dust - with barely enough focus for your other spells, and an extremely accurate, magical ranged attack, that surpasses this one in every aspect, it is easy to forget that zap at all. Quite a corner-case, but it RFPs warrior models, so sometimes it worth to consider. Like, you want to nullify the feat of The Twins.
- Fire Group - Not that decisive as [[[Snipe]], but its battlegroup-wide effect compensates it adequately. It extends your gun's range as well, giving a total threat range of 22". Probably your most sought-after spell.
- Guided Fire - That might seem like a no-brainer, but do your maths, whether or not you'll actually need it. Since your jacks can use their power-up focus to boost, sometimes you better spend it elsewhere. It is also good to enable boosted shots for your jacks, if they become disrupted, for example, after the feat of Nemo1. It can also compensate the accuracy decrease of crippled ranged weapons.
- Refuge - You might want to cast it early and upkeep it - but only if there is a nice place out of line of sight or behind a wall you can move back to. Just remember that this can leave you without any focus if you've been casting Guided Fire and Fire Group. Between your Field Marshal and Refuge, it can also be used to snipe out flanking, stealthy solos (like Deathstalkers)to get closer to enemy lines.
- Return fire - that will be your second rarely used spell on your card. As the attack happens outside of your activation, it cannot be boosted, save for an attack roll for a ranged attack from your battelgroup member, if you cast Guided Fire already. Theoretically, you could use it on elusive solos with high damage output, like the Gun Mage Captain Adept, or the Arcane Tempest Rifleman, to retaliate for half-measures in removing them, but the short range of the spell makes it extremely unlikely. And arc nodes rarely find their ways to Sloan's list either.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Sloan provides very little support for any models outside of her battlegroup besides killing or softening up targets for them.
- She has no effective counter to spells or feats that prevent models being targeted by ranged attacks such as Submerge or Swamp Pit. She's also vulnerable for Lamentation, making it impossible to use both of her key spells at once.
- In many turns you want to cast Guided Fire and Fire Group, which leaves only a single focus if you want to boost Spitfire's damage roll(s) and will leave you nothing to overboost your power field with if you do.
- She typically plays with low volume, high damage Warjacks. Into high model count armies, she simply can't grind through their models quick enough before they engage.
- Steamroller 2017 has left her in a difficult place. With the requirement for centralised LoS blocking terrain, key enemy targets generally have a really good spot to hide.
- This makes her assassination threat and the ability to focus-fire much weaker.
- The general increase in the amount of terrain has had a similar impact. Her one trick strategy has even more problems to contend with.
- It can be extremely frustrating for beginners to play against her gunline.
Tricks & Tips
- With her feat, there is some discrepancy between the 2016 print of the physical card and the Warroom entry. Warroom is correct - make sure you're using the right version of her rules.
- Remember that Refuge triggers on a model *hit*, not on damage or destroyed. With her high RAT, unless you colossally fail a roll, you'll hit what you're aiming at.
List Building Advice
Kara Sloan hopes to devastate the enemy with lethal waves of gunfire leaving them unable to properly respond. You are typically aiming to get an assassination, but if the opponent is overly defensive, you may be able to take apart their entire army with your shooting. Traditionally, her feat is best used early, you're going to be hoping to alpha strike the enemy with your shooting. Between the good ranges of Cygnar, and the range buff of Fire Group, you should be able to manage at least two turns of shooting. If you shoot everything that was in range to attack you off of the board, you may be able to buy yourself a third.
Though her army is all about her battlegroup, smart enemies will try to jam her as soon as possible. To counter that, you might want to consider cheap and/or self-sufficient troops to screen your lines.
As things are now, Sloan gets the most work out of ranged warjacks. She gets so much efficiency out of them that her armies typically are almost entirely composed of them. With this in mind, she is most commonly played with the Gravediggers theme list. Despite this, there are still reasons to try to use her out of Gravediggers.
The best case for Gravediggers is the fact she can squeeze an incredible number of highly accurate shots out of Grenadiers. This plus the ranged support in the theme really tip the scales in its favour. If you ever hear the term "Kara Triforce list" it is the spiritual successor to Kara 5x5 run in Gravediggers, a very popular tournament list. The Triforce consists of 3 Hunters, 3 Minutemen, 3 Grenadiers, supported by Rangers, 2 Express Teams, 2 Master Gunners, Reinholdt and a Patrol Dog.
- Rangers. Sloan favours bringing all of the guns, so missing with any battlegroup model is disappointing. Rangers make the battlegroup even more sickeningly accurate.
- Trencher Master Gunner A great contesting and shooting solos in his own right, he also supports Grenadiers with Artillerist.
- Patrol Dog What would the theme without it? Especially since it strips Stealth.
- Trencher Express Teams. No synergies in particular other than them knocking down targets with Thunderbolts, they are just incredibly good shooting pieces that no Gravediggers list should be missing
- Trencher Infantry can throw up a cloud wall that her battlegroup can see straight through...but the enemy can't.
- Sword Knights are a good screening unit.
- Jakes1 offers a method to splash some melee power into an otherwise ranged list. She can perform well with a Hammersmith whose poor threat range is largely mitigated by Energizer and the fact most enemies are trying to run as far up as possible against Sloan.
- Jakes1, mentioned above, can also be in this theme.
- Silver Line Stormguard help you fending off early charges.
- Storm Lances are also excellent, self-sufficient units, however they might tie down way too many points that you would rather spend on your battlegroup.
- The Gun Mage Captain Adept can provide a Flare shot to further improve your accuracy. Though situational, his Shadow Fire can remove a model from blocking LOS, making it all the easier to hit the juicy targets behind.
- Lieutenant Bastian Falk Rune-Marked can turn Sloan into a POW 14 Weaponmaster rifle. If a POW 12 hurts things, POW 14 annihilates them.
- She is the only Cygnar caster available in this theme, but as a pure battlegroup caster it's an iffy theme for her (just as any theme other than Heavy Metal). Still, HoD does something for her as her jacks gain Accumulator Soulless, which vastly increases their focus efficiency. You will definetly lose out on free stuff when bringing a number of jacks she is comfortable with, but there is worse things you can do with her.
- Howlers, Griever Swarms and the Horrors summoned by Regna Granov provide you with the afoementioned Accumulator opportunities. Saldy Kara does nothing for them.
- Valin Hauke provides Tactician (which also affects jacks), which is great with Refuge. Meaning the refuge target can walk up, shoot and back away through a skirmish screen. Brother's Keeper is a no knockdown, no stationairy bubble which is great with Kara's naturally high defenses and Tough troops such as Trencher Infantry.
- Mordecai - Shadow is excellent to keep her save in a pinch.
- Umbral Guardians or Trench Busters - Another way to keep her save. Busters also flank with other Trenchers if you brought them.
- Basian Falk can be brough along to provide a damage buff to her and the Infernal troops
- The Hermit - Another damage buff and control piece against other Infernals.
Sloan also likes these models, which are grouped here because they're in 3+ themes.
- Being so focus-starved, bringing along Captain Arlan Strangewayes is almost mandatory to Empower so he can alleviate some of the burden on Sloan. Arcane Reinforcement can also give Sloan an extra chance into Protectorate warjacks under Hymn of Passage or armies with incorporeal models, but it still means most of her battlegroup can't attack the important models unless you can shoot out the Choir of Menoth first.
- The Squire can be a useful model to include. Typically Sloan would rather have Reinholdt, but that isn't always an option. Being able to allocate an extra focus to boost damage during her feat turn can be very helpful indeed.
- Journeyman Warcaster can be extremely valuable to Sloan lists that include a Stormwall. Arcane Shield protects the investment you make with selecting a colossal. Typically his battlegroup will be just a Charger or perhaps a Sentinel.
- Journeyman Lieutenant Allister Caine and his Fire For Effect spell can fully boost Sloan's or one of her ranges jack's first attack.
- He can bring Ace with him. Shadow Firecan open up assassination vectors for Kara.
- Steelhead Halberdiers are another good screnning unit.
- Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr's Applied Knowledge is good if you choose to cripple beasts or jacks rather than go for the straight up assassination.
- Sloan has an awesome gun, Reinholdt gives you another shot with Reload. I hope you see the connection.
- Alten Ashley with his precision shots can also help you to deal with beasts, and to counter repair of damaged jacks.
- Taryn di la Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage Shadow Fire, see Gun Mage Captain Adept above.
- Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios Disrupter bolt seals the deal on any camped focus for that assassination run from Sloan.
- The Defender has a long range and very powerful gun. This makes it a solid choice.
- The Charger provides firepower beyond what it's cost typically promises. Unfortunately, despite being good range and RoF, Powerful Attack on it's gun isn't terribly efficient if you are also casting Guided Fire. The Charger also typically want to operate with 2 focus so both of it's shots are boosted. If you are taking this jack, it may be best to leave it on a Journeyman Warcaster.
- The Hunter is the gold standard of a Sloan List. Firing against a Khador jack, this has comparable firepower to the much more expensive Defender at a much cheaper cost. Another important factor would be that it is typically happy to be left with a single point of focus to just boost it's considerable attack making it more efficient than the Charger.
- The Firefly works better on the feat turn than other multi-shot ranged jacks because you'll get 2d3+2 attacks, rather just one extra shot as you would with a something like a Charger or Sentinel. They also synergise well with Sword Knights if you're using the Heavy Metal theme list.
- The Stormwall colossal provides several elements that make it a good choice. It comes equipped with two very powerful long range cannons just like a defender, but happens to be well armored enough that even heavy shooting is unlikely to kill it without letting this thing gets it shots off. Also, the Stormwall is a deterrent. Killing Kara Sloan usually means engaging her in close combat where her amazing firepower counts for much less. Having a colossal nearby ensure that this strategy is a risky one.
- The Avenger packs a powerful gun, while its Quake ability can open up lines for assassination.
- The Sentinel doesn't have a very great gun, but against larger formations of infantry, it can be very useful. Also the main reason to take this jack is because of the Shield Guard ability.
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Cygnar (2010)
- In the early years of Mk3 Sloan was notorious about her Hunter spam, allowing these fast, advance-deploying jacks to deliver a punishing blow into the enemy's front line, with little possiblility to respond in kind. She was the main reson that the Hunter lost Advance Deployment throughout the Trencher CID in 2017 September.
Video Battle Reports
- 2019.07 Feat Fetish, vs Saeryn1
- See also Category: Video Battle Reports for more casters with videos.
Other Cygnar models
| * The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)