Skin & Moans
|We have 1159 articles and 85% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
- "A living nightmare of tattered faces that stalks in dark and shadowed places,
this charnel figure treads the land with wicked curving blades in hand."
Towering above its victims, Skin & Moans fells mortals with expert slashes, then slices off their faces to stitch them into its own motley skin, where the dead visages continue to moan and groan. These thin, overlapping whispers eerily herald the monster’s approach."
|Skin & Moans|
- Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here to read the long version.
- Bone Picker - When this model destroys a living or undead enemy model with a melee attack, this model gains the destroyed model's corpse token and the destroyed model is removed from play. This model can have up to three corpse tokens at any time.
- Death-Powered - This model gains +1 STR and ARM for each corpse token it has.
- Death Feast - During its activation, this model can spend corpse tokens to remove d3 damage for each token spent.
- Butcher's Blade (x2) - 2" reach, P+S 16 melee weapons
- Lurker - Cost 1
- Caster gains Pathfinder and Bushwhack. (Bushwhack - During its activation, this model can make its Combat Action before its Normal Movement. If it does, it must make a full advance as their Normal Movement this activation.)
Analysis of the Skin & Moans
Skin & Moans in a nutshell
It's a beatstick heavy that gives you pathfinder-on-a-stick. It gets cranked up to 11 once it has some corpses, so much so that you'd be justified in calling it "corpse-dependent".
As of August 2018, Skin & Moans is a very viable, with typically two or three being featured in Dark Menagerie. They pair extremely well with the Cage Rager & the Death Knell in theme, able to push through huge damage spikes as it builds up corpses.
Combos & Synergies
- The Wanderer - The Skin & Moans has decent DEF for a heavy, and The Wanderer can really push that further.
- The Child - The Child is in many ways the perfect caster for Skin & Moans. A fully corpse-fueled Skin & Moans with the The Child can charge for free, P+S 21, Spd 7, all with Pathfinder & the ability to heal up next turn. Coupled with the Sacrifice arcana, and it becomes nigh impossible to recover from an alpha of Skin & Moans charges.
- Deathknell - Best way of getting the corpse tokens to Skin & Moans. The ARM buff a corpse fueled Death Knell provides is small, but critical for a Skin & Moans wihout corpses.
- Dread Rots - Second best way of getting corpse tokens to your heavies. As Weapon Masters, Dread Rots aso serve very well as one half of a pincer with Skin & Moans
- Crabit - The Skin & Moans tends to get shot off the board, but the Crabbit can Shield Guard it quite cheaply.
- Cage Rager - Provides a lot of defensive utility and space controling effects, both of which are things a Skin & Moans loves. The Cage Rager's animus is also extremely relevant on your harder hitting Skin & Moans into lists which require a lot of Magical Weapons.
- Gremlin Swarm - Skin & Moans don't have a good way of preventing their opponent from charging. Putting a Gremlin Swarm on one side and a Cage Rager on the other makes it extremely difficult for your opponent to touch your Skin & Moans, as they don't have enough space to place their base and oftern cannot charge the Gremlin Swarm.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Doesn't hit hard without corpses. Struggles to pick its own.
- If there's a prize for "Heavy to be shot first", this guy takes it.
- Underwhelming for points if it doesn't have corpses.
- Relies heavily on other models in Grymkin to reach its full potential.
Tricks & Tips
- The Witchwood is ideal to pick off flanking models/solos from the enemy's battle line, and pull it close enough to the Skin&Moans for activating Bone Picker. Turning it around will also solve most of the accuracy issues.
- Sacrifice is an amazing Arcana with a group of Grymkin heavies. It becomes extremely difficult for your opponent to efficiently kill your 'beasts when they have to over-commit to killing each heavy in turn.
- Parking a Cage Rager in front and a Gremlin Swarm on the open side within 1 1/2" of a Skin & Moans makes it nigh unchargable.
Beta rules released in the Grymkin CID (2017.03), final rules with the Faction release (2017.06)
Themes for generic warbeasts (Edit)
Other Grymkin models
|Grymkin Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Battle Engines||Death Knell|
|Dark Menagerie - Bump in the Night||Eilish Garrity, the Occultist|
| See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.