Rowdy, disorganised and untrustworthy even to one another, Sea Dogs are gangs of sea-dwelling deck-hands who gather together in shadowy port bars, plotting their next great haul - they care not for whom they work, but only for the gold coins which they earn, which they quickly drink and gamble away before their next calamitous adventure.
Mustered together from disreputable coastal taverns and wharves, the Sea Dogs are motley pirates hungry for spoils. Armed with swords and pistols and barely kept in check by grizzled mates, the Sea Dogs serve any master with sufficient coin. What they lack in training and manners they make up for with frightening bluster and enthusiastic avarice.
Any Sea Dog worth his salt can lay claim to an old pistol, but those owning an accurate long rifle are doubly prized for being able to lay down fire at nearly twice the distance. Such shots from atop the crow's nest or the ship's prow have made all the difference by picking off enemy officers and boarders before they can close.
Packing more pistols than a paranoid gun mage, Mr. Walls is never seen without his pet monkey. Serving as Shae's quartermaster for the Sea Dogs, Mr. Walls knows how to motivate the men and inspire them to ferocity. His aim suffers from an old injury that took his eye, but he makes up for it by closing to give the enemy both barrels.
|Sea Dog Pirates
||6 or 10 +3WA +1CA
||7 or 11 +1WA +3CA
|1.2 pts each
Mercenary - This unit will work for Crucible Guard, Cryx, Cygnar, Khador, and Protectorate.
- 'Leader & Grunts
- Gang - When making a melee attack targeting an enemy model in the melee range of another model in this unit, this model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls.
- Point-Blank - During its activation, this model can make melee attacks with its ranged weapon, with a melee range of 0.5". Do not add this model's STR to damage rolls with ranged weapons. Charge attacks made with ranged weapons are not boosted.
- Rifleman (WA)
- He has +2 RAT
- Gang - As above
- Wild Shot - This model can make one basic ranged attack during its activation before its Normal Movement. If it does, it can use its Combat Action only to make melee attacks that activation.
- Mr. Walls (CA)
- Mr. Walls has +1 STR, +1 MAT, +2 CMD, & 5 hitboxes.
- Monkey Bite - While in melee with this model, living enemy models suffer -2 to melee attack rolls.
- No Quarter [ Minifeat ] - This model can use No Quarter once per game at any time during its units activation. This acticvation, modles in this unit gain Pathfinder. A model in this unit that charges as part of its Normal Movement gains +2" movement. No Quarter lasts for one round.
- Point-Blank - As above
- Tactics: Advance Deployment - Models in this unit gain Advance Deployment.
- Leader & Grunts
- Pistol - 8" range, POW 10 ranged weapon
- Hand Weapon - 0.5" reach, POW 3, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Rifleman (WA)
- Long Rifle - 14" range, POW 10 ranged weapon
- Black Penny - This attack ignores the target in melee DEF bonus.
- Hand Weapon - 0.5" reach, POW 3, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Mr. Walls (CA)
- Heavy Pistol (x2) - 8" range, POW 12 ranged weapons
- Other Factions
- Infernal players can use this unit in the Hearts of Darkness theme, but only if Crosse2 is leading the army.
- Furthermore, Mercenaries can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
2021.10 Mega Update
- Mr Walls dropped to 3 points (from 4)
Thoughts on Sea Dog Pirates
Sea Dog Pirates in a Nutshell
The Sea Dog Pirates are very cheap chaff that can be significantly buffed by the Privateer solos, and come with two attacks each so they soak up buffs. Either bring them for cheapness or because you have a way of debuffing the enemy into the ground.
Thoughts on adding the CA & WA
Adding Riflemen - Riflemen are even cheaper than normal Sea Dogs.
Adding Walls - walls grants Advance Deployment and one turn of pathfinder, which gets them in there.
Combos & Synergies
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Unsupported they will die to pretty much everything.
- They can't hit the broad side of a barn door.
- They only do work on their own with Gang, meaning they have to bunch up.
- Enemies who can remove solos with spells can cripple them back to as weak as their stat line would indicate.
Tricks & Tips
- Rockbottom's Payday coupled with Hawk's Object of Desire is how this unit will print money if presented with the right target.
Mrs Walls, Mini-Crate exclusive sculpt
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Mercenary models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification : Gang and/or Gang Fighter and/or Tag Team and/or Team Effort (Edit)
- You can gain the Gang bonus on free strikes, but generally only the first "Ganger" will get it.
- For example, if a target is engaged by two models with Gang, when it leaves the melee range of the first Ganger it suffers a free strike with the Gang bonus. Then it leaves the melee range of the second and suffers a normal free strike.
Rules Clarification : Point-Blank (Edit)
- Number of attacks
- Point-Blank gives you an extra initial melee attack (even though, RAW, it doesn't meet the criteria). (Infernal Ruling)
- If you can make additional melee attacks, these can be Point-Blank attacks regardless of the weapon's ROF. (Locked Thread)
- If you have the option of choosing between ranged or melee attacks (for instance you combined Point-Blank with Gunfighter), then you need to declare whether you're making melee or ranged attacks this activation, then declare the weapon and the target. (Infernal Ruling)
- Point-Blank AOEs work just fine, because the AOE template isn't tied to the range.
- You make a melee attack roll then if you hit you centre the AOE template, or you miss and deviate the AOE template (it can only deviate 0.25").
- If you have a buff to melee damage rolls (such as Flaming Fists) then it will affect the blast damage rolls too.
- Point-Blank sprays don't really work. The spray template is intrinsically linked to the attack's range, and Point-Blank overwrites the range.
- You still get one attack tho - you make the melee attack roll, then go straight to the melee damage roll. You never put the spray template down.
- Since Point-Blank only works during your activation, you can't use it on free strikes or other out-of-activation melee attacks.
- Gunfighter vs Point Blank (Edit)
- If a model has both Gunfighter and Point Blank, then you should declare whether you're using it as a ranged attack or melee attack whenever you shoot the gun. Because that can limit what other initial/additional attacks you can make. (Infernal Ruling)
- These two abilities are subtly different, but it's an important difference.
- Gunfighter allows you to make ranged attacks while in melee.
- Point blank allows you to make melee attacks with your ranged weapon.
- Since you can't make both ranged and melee attacks in the same turn, a Gunfighter model has a choice of either initial melee attack(s) or initial ranged attack(s). (unless it has Virtuoso or something).
- Whereas a Point Blank model chooses to make initial melee attacks, and then gets to make attacks with both weapons.
- Furthermore, the types of bonuses, penalties, and special effects you (or your opponent) can trigger will change dramatically:
- Any buffs/triggers on ranged attacks (such as Evasive, Shield Guard, Deadeye, etc) will affect Gunfighter attacks, but not Point Blank attacks.
- Any buffs/triggers on melee attacks (such as Battle Lust, Riposte etc) will affect Point Blank attacks, but not Gunfighter attacks.
Rules Clarification : Take Up (Edit)
- If you use Take Up the attacking model cannot trigger anything that needs the attacker to "Destroy" a model (such as Alpha Hunter, Killing Spree, Berserk, etc). Although the model that was attacked reached the Destroyed step of the timing sequence, Take Up negates that entirely. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Black Penny - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Officer (Edit)
- Even if they're not on the Officer's card, an Officer can give (and benefit from) any non-standard orders that are on the unit's card (such as Shield Wall). Refer main rulebook.
- When the Officer dies, the Leader model becomes the new Unit Commander (you don't get to choose).
- But if your unit doesn't include a Leader model, then you do get to choose any of the remaining models to be the new Unit Commander. You don't swap the model, but it may be worth putting a token down so you can tell that grunt apart.
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : No Quarter (Edit)
- Pathfinder (Edit) - Pathfinder does not apply to involuntary movement (pushes & slams). (Infernal Ruling)
Restrictions on "Any Time" abilities
- "Any Time" abilities can be used at any time during a model/unit's activation, except:
- Before any compulsory forfeiture of movement/action. See step 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- After the model with the "Any Time" ability has had their activation end "prematurely". By this I mean you resolved something which includes the phrase "its activation ends". Examples include:
- Running, failing a charge, or failing a slam.
- Abilities that include "then its activation ends" (such as Reposition and Teleport).
- In between declaring your charge target and making your charge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- In between completing your charge movement and determining whether it was a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- When you're in the middle of moving. (Note: Impact Attacks count as being in the middle of movement).
- When you're in the middle of an attack. Which also includes effects that occur "after the attack is resolved".
(Although the attack is "resolved" at Step 11, in terms of using an "Any Time" ability the attack is not "finished" until after Step 14. Refer to the first paragraph of Apdx A.)
- Your opponent interrupted your activation to trigger one of their own abilities (such as Countercharge).
- Warcasters/warlocks/etc can normally cast a spell or use their feat "At any time". However, there is a core rule saying they cannot do so on the same activation that they run. So, they are subject to all the same restrictions listed above, plus they can't cast/feat before running.
- Units: See below.
- In general you can use "Any Time" abilities while you're knocked down or stationary (except Spells and Feats which specify you can't).
- If you have a gun with a random ROF, you can use an "Any Time" ability inbetween rolling the number of shots and actually making the first attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Units with "Any Time" abilities
- You cannot use an "Any Time" ability before issuing/receiving orders. See step 1 and 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after they run (Infernal Ruling) or fail a charge. Because that makes that specific model's activation to end even though the unit's activation is still ongoing, and you can't use abilities on models that are not active.
- You can use an "Any Time" ability before running, however.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after anyone in the unit has begun a Reposition move. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tactics vs Granted (Edit)
- Granted = The unit loses the ability as soon as the model that grants it is taken off the table. (think "G for Goes away")
- Tactics = The unit keeps the ability for the entire game, regardless of who dies. (think "Tac-Tick = K for Keeps")
- Granted [ Vengeance ]
- If the model granting Vengeance dies, the unit will not get any Vengeance attacks.
- It is "If you have Vengeance, and you were damaged last turn, you get a move+attack."
- It is not "If you get damaged, you get Vengeance next turn."
- If you lose Vengeance halfway through resolving Vengeance, then you stop resolving Vengeance immediately. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Advance Deployment (Edit)
- Sometimes you can attach a WA or CA that doesn't have AD to a unit that does have AD. If you do, the attachment effectively gains AD and they can all advance deploy together. (Locked Thread)
Rules Clarification : Monkey Bite - None yet. (Edit)
Note to Editors
To edit the WA's tagged abilities, Click here
To edit the CA's tagged abilities, Click here