Reeves of Orboros
Chieftain & Standard
CA Fluff blurb
|Reeves of Orboros|
- Pathfinder - This model treats rough terrain as open terrain while advancing. While charging, slam power attacking, or trample power attacking, this model does not stop its movement when it contacts an obstacle.
- Combined Ranged Attack - This unit can combine their ranged attacks to get a cumulative +1 bonus on accuracy and damage for each model involved.
- Hunter - This model ignores cover and concealment when shooting.
- Officer only
- He has +1 MAT, RAT, and 5 hitpoints.
- Officer - This model is the unit commander even if the unit has a Leader model.
- Granted: War-Tempered - While this model is in formation, models in its unit gain War-Tempered. (War-Tempered - Models with War-Tempered can make CRA vs targets in melee. If the attack misses and is randomised vs a new model, participants that would auto-miss the new model do not contribute to the CRA bonus but still forfeit their attacks.)
- Go to Ground (Minifeat) - Once per game, models in this unit can gain cover and immunity to blast damage and will not block LOS for one round. The effect on each model ends after one round or if that model moves or is placed or engaged.
- Standard only
- Standard Bearer - While this model is within 5" of the unit commander, the unit commander gains +2 CMD.
- Everyone except the Standard
- Battle Blade - 0.5" reach, P+S 8 melee weapon.
- Double Crossbow - 12" range, ROF 2, POW 8 gun
- Unarmed - This model has no weapons.
Analysis of Reeves of Orboros
Reeves in a Nutshell
Reeves each shoot twice and can combine their attacks to damage harder targets. Two shots lets them scythe through cannon fodder, the CRA to-hit bonus can give them game vs high DEF light infantry, and the CRA to-damage bonus can give them game vs medium infantry and light warbeasts.
Circle has a lot of choices for sweeping light infantry off the board but these guys are the favorite because of their range and flexibility ... that was, until themes became such a huge part of the game. Now they're still great, don't get me wrong, but the number of lists they're going into is much less.
Thoughts on adding the CA
The Chieftain is normally taken because he protects them against blast damage and gives them a chance of shooting into melee (remember that CRAs can normally never do this, and most of the time Reeeves want to be doing at least a 2-man CRA).
Combos & Synergies
|Reeves vs 1HP models under Tanith's Affliction|
|Enemy DEF||Without aiming||With aiming|
|13||16 dead||20 dead|
|14||13 dead||18 dead|
|15||9 dead||16 dead|
|16||6 dead||13 dead|
|So, for example, 5 aiming Reeves could reliably wipe out ten DEF 13 models, leaving the rest of your unit to go after non-Afflicted targets.|
- Wolf Lord Morraig gives them +1 to attack rolls, getting their RAT up to Nyss Hunter level.
- The Reeve Hunter gives them Quick Work (although why you want to be in melee in the first place is a good question).
- Tanith can put Affliction on a hard target, mountain king getting you down? Land twenty points of damage on him.
- The War Wolf can be sent after things they hit - or use their bolts to charge deep and then charge the enemy support after that.
- Grayle the Farstrider gives them Tactician, letting them see and shoot through each other, Warpborn Skinwalkers, and Wolves of Orboros
- Any warlock that hands out mass debuffs, with special mention to Tanith and her Affliction spell:
- They become effective RAT 7 (9 if aiming), and can clear 22 one-wound infantry models off the table. See table on the right.
- Or they can put 22 points of damage into any heavy/colossal, regardless of its ARM value.
Drawbacks and Downsides
- Not a lot of killing power in melee
- Vulnerable to blasts outside of Go to Ground
- Each model lost means the loss of 2 attacks
Tricks and Tips
- Their RAT is a little low, so normally they need to either aim or make two-person CRAs to have decent odds of hitting.
- The unit & the CA were both released in Hordes: Evolution (2007)
Other Circle models
Note to Editors