|We have 1198 articles and 90% are complete!||Please help us finish these articles (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
|Feora2 (theme thoughts)||Imperatus (Dawnguard and non-vyros combos)|
| Reaper |
The fiendish inventiveness of Cryxian necrotechs has resulted in many machines perfected to employ the killing arts. The Slayer is a swift, hulking beast of bone and black iron that relishes murdering anything in its path. The Reaper can fire its harpoon to sink deep into flesh or steel before reeling in its victim with frightening speed to within range of its vicious helldriver spike. The Corruptor is the culmination of Cryx’s pioneering work in caustic compounds and necrotic poisons, a helljack armed with venomous weapons designed to consume both body and soul.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Construct - This model is a construct and is not a living model.
- Harpoon - 8" range, POW 12 ranged attack
- Drag - When this weapon damages an enemy model with an equal or smaller base, immediately after the attack is resolved the damaged model can be pushed directly toward this model until it contacts a model, an obstacle, or an obstruction. After the damaged model is moved, this model can make one basic melee attack against the damaged model. After resolving this melee attack, this model can make additional melee attacks during its combat action.
- Tusks - 1" reach, POW 2, P+S 12 melee attack
- Hard Head - This model can add this weapon's POW to its head-butt and slam power attack damage rolls.
- Helldriver - 2" reach, POW 6, P+S 16 melee attack
- Sustained Attack - During this model's activation, when it makes an attack with this weapon against the last model hit by the weapon this activation, the attack automatically hits.
- Black Industries. Reaper gains Carapace in this theme.
- Dark Host
- The Ghost Fleet
- Infernal Machines. Reaper gains Hyper-Aggressive in this theme.
- Scourge of the Broken Coast
- Slaughter Fleet Raiders. Reaper gains Gang Fighter in this theme.
Thoughts on the Reaper
The Reaper in a Nutshell
The Reaper is a support Warjack that can help you get the alpha strike on the enemy. By dragging an enemy model towards yourself, it allows other elements of your force to dogpile in and finish it off.
It is also great for the psychological effect from Drag. Your opponent, knowing that you could Drag his key model out of formation, is going to go to extra lengths to protect that key piece from Drag. Knowing that he knows this can let you control the ebb and flow of the battlefield.
However, the Reaper really needs a minimum of 2 focus to achieve anything one of which given by power up. If you're shooting, you'll probably want to boost to hit and to damage to ensure you get Drag. In melee, you'll probably want to boost to hit on the additional then buy a second auto-hitting Helldriver attack.
Combos & Synergies
The Reaper likes a buddy to "Tag-team" with. Between blowing all its focus on boosting the ranged attack, and being a little bit pillow-fisted, you're often left with an enemy jack in base contact with the Reaper, looking scratched and annoyed but not busted. There are lots of options here. One is the Scavenger. With Flight it doesn't need to worry about the Reaper's base getting in the way of its charge lane, and with Finisher it can turn that scratch job into a scrap job. Another one is a Slayer due to his damage potential and low point cost.
A Warwitch Siren and/or an Iron Lich Overseer can help, since as mentioned above the Reaper really needs a minimum of 2 focus to do anything reliably.
Skarre2 can help the Reaper's efficiency. With her Seas of Fates, you can avoid boosting the ranged attacks unless you need to, and save all your focus for the melee attacks after the drag has occurred.
Slaughter Fleet Raiders Theme Force gives it Gang Fighter. Really helps its melee game so drag enemy models in range of warrior models and then start jabbing!
Drawbacks & Downsides
- The Reaper needs focus.
- If you're using the harpoon you will probably need the free focus from power up to boost to hit, offsetting the Reaper's average RAT.
- If dragging the enemy model is crucial to your tactics, you'll give him another focus to boost the damage and ensure Drag triggers.
- If you want to take advantage of the free melee attacks and sustained attack, you'll probably give him an additional focus to buy extra attacks.
- Even in melee, you'll probably want to load him up with 2-3 focus to get the most out of sustained attack.
- The P+S isn't super high, so you may feel a little pillow-fisted when fighting super-hard targets.
- Assuming a low DEF, high ARM enemy you'll probably not boost the hit roll. Then boost the first damage roll, buy another attack and boost damage again. Once again, a hungry 3-focus jack.
- If the Reaper is stuck in the middle of a bunch of single-wound models, you're wasting your time - you won't get Sustained Attack, and his P+S is so high you're just splattering them.
Tricks & Tips
- Place a Bane Warrior near where the enemy model will be dragged to, so that they will be dragged into the Bane's Dark Shroud aura and the Reaper will get a +2 damage bonus on it's melee attacks.
- At a pinch, it can jam enemy lines thanks to its high SPD and long range melee weapon. But being a fragile Slayer chassis, it won't jam for very long. (The Inflictor is a better choice for this tactic.)
- In melee, buying additional attacks is normally better than boosting damage (due to Sustained Attack combined with a good P+S). To ensure Sustained Attack triggers, you'll probably want to assign him one focus (given by power up) to boost the initial hit, then another 2 to buy additional attacks and maximise Sustained Attack.
- The Reaper is in the Mk3 Cryx battle box.
- Originally released in Warmachine: Prime (2003)
- Sculptor: John Winter
- From 2003 to 2010 it was sold as a single metal model.
- From 2010 to 2017 it was sold in a multi-jack kit with the Slayer and Corruptor (old resin-plastic).
- From 2017 onwards, it'll be sold in a multi-jack with the Corruptor and Malice (new better plastic).
Other Cryx models
| Ranged Attack Damage (Drag and Catch only)