|We have 1356 articles and 93% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Pyre Troll |
The fearsome pyre trolls are able to belch gouts of combustible liquid that ignites in the air, sticks to flesh, and burns at hellish temperatures. After softening foes with blazing spittle, pyre trolls use their thick claws to tear apart their sizzling victims. Even their skin exudes heat, the air around them smoldering with ripples that warn of the inferno to come.
Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
- Immunity: Fire
- It Burns! - If this model is hit by a melee attack, immediately after the attack is resolved the attacking model suffers the Fire continuous effect, unless this model was destroyed or RFP'd by the attack.
- Regeneration [d3] - This model can be forced to remove d3 damage points once per activation. This model cannot use Regeneration during an activation it runs.
| Flaming Fists
|Target friendly Faction model gains +2 to melee damage rolls and Immunity: Fire, and its melee weapons gain Continuous Effect: Fire. Flaming Fists lasts for one round.|
2020.11 Vengeance of Dhunia CID
- Flaming Fists became COST 2 RNG 6 (instead of COST 1 RNG SELF)
- Gun became ROF 2 (instead of ROF 1)
Thoughts on Pyre Troll
Pyre Troll in a nutshell
He's a good, cheap beast with a very useful animus for increasing your melee damage. While not personally great in melee, he can power attack when necessary, which can prove to be useful in a pinch. His ranged attack, while infinitely inferior to that of the Dire Troll Bomber, is still great for clearing out infantry, especially since it causes Continuous Fire to everyone under the AOE.
If the Pyre Troll has any issue at all it’s subpar accuracy either in melee or at range. Fortunately that is offset by its low cost and capable support duties.
Combos & Synergies
- Horgle2 likes models on fire to trigger burnt meat and his feat.
- Gunnbjorn1 - Guided Fire lets it do work with its AOE while still using its animus.
- Gunnbjorn2 loves anything with AOEs.
- Jarl Skuld - lacks any personal damage buff and swift hunter is great on 2 shots.
Power of Dhunia Combos
reducing the cost of the animus by 1 helps it to fulfil its support duties better.
- Horgle1 can cast its animus a second time; reducing strain on your warlock and can use hot shot to make the Pyre hit harder at range.
Storm of the North Combos
- He's a great way to set Northkin Fire Eaters on fire. Deploy a Whelp in the center with your Fire Eaters in B2B with it, and leave one tiny gap for the Pyre to see and shoot the Whelp.
- Pyg Lookouts help the Pyre hit with mark target.
Kriel Company Combos
Mark Target from solos or Pyg Lookouts helps the Pyre hit.
- Northkin Fire Eaters live in this theme also
- Trollkin Gunnery Sergeant there may be better targets but artillerist further helps the Pyre hit.
Band of Heroes Combos
- Horgle1 also lives in this theme and has better infantry targets for the animus to go with him.
Attuned spirit on the Pyre’s animus is a great reason to take him in this theme.
- Farrow Warlocks gain assess to this model.
- Helga2 usually prefers a melee battlegroup but her feat and escort along with Reposition really help the Pyre get where he needs to go.
- Trollkin Gunnery Sergeant lives in this theme too.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- With a poor RAT you're going to need to boost to hit, or hope for a good scatter.
- you are unable to boost both your shots and cast your animus outside of Power of Dhunia.
- With 10" RNG it is likely that what it fails to destroy with its ranged attack will be able to charge it.
- The Pyre Troll itself doesn't kill an amazing amount - infantry don't bunch up enough.
Tricks & Tips
- Shield Wall infantry keep their ARM bonus for Continuous Fire damage rolls. The POW is still high enough to kill at least some of them during the maintenance phase.
- Send him out in front and force the enemy to deal with him, attacks on him set the enemy on fire. Follow up in the next round after continuous fire effect damage. Try to set fire to the enemy caster, it's very distracting.
- His animus matches well with Warlocks who enjoy melee - Borka2 in particular.
Released way back in Primal Mk1 (2006)
Other Trollblood models
|See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.