Theme - Prima Materia
| Theme - Prima Materia |
The Order of the Golden Crucible is jealous of its secrets. Its members have experienced first-hand what can happen when their alchemical and mechanikal innovations fall into the wrong hands. The most technologically advanced divisions of the Crucible Guard are insular and allow no outsiders, lest their secrets be stolen. Wielding the newest and most devastating weapons in the Guard’s arsenal, they bring destruction to enemies of the Order.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Prima Materia
- 3 Other
An army made use the Magnum Opus theme force can include only the following Crucible Guard models:
- Crucible Guard warcasters
- Non-character warjacks
- Combat Alchemist units
- Dragon's Breath Rocket weapon crew units
- Medium-based Crucible Guard units
- Aurum Legate Alyce Marc
- Crucible Guard Mechanik solos
- Gorman solos
- Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter
- Trancer solos
- Crucible Guard battle engines
This army can also include one Mercenary solo and one Mercenary unit that will work for the Crucible Guard.
- This theme is notable in that it does not have that standard clause, and cannot have any Mercenaries (except for the Partisans).
Full model list
This list was last updated: 2018.03 (Edit)
- All Crucible Guard warcasters
- All non-character Crucible Guard warjacks
- Combat Alchemists
- Crucible Guard Assault Troopers
Crucible Guard Infantry
Crucible Guard Rocketmen
- Crucible Guard Shock Troopers
- Dragon's Breath Rocket
- Crucible Guard Mechanik
- Gorman1 - (Partisan)
- Gorman2 - (Partisan)
- Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - (Partisan)
- Prospero - ("Junior Warcaster")
- Zero mercenaries are allowed in Prima Materia (other than their Partisans)
Each Requistion Point can be spent on either:
- One Combat Alchemist unit
- Three Crucible Guard Mechanik solos
- Two Trancer solos
- One other small- or medium-based Crucible Guard solo
- Vanguard warjacks in this army can use Shield Guard twice per turn.
- Friendly models/units can begin the game affected by the upkeep spells of warcasters in this army.
- These spells and their targets must be declared before either player deploys any models.
- Warcasters in this army do not have to pay focus to upkeep their spells during your first turn of the game.
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Gorman2 added to the list of allowed models.
- Lost the +2" deployment zone benefit
- Gained the upkeep benefit.
- Multi-model options added to the potential freebies.
Thoughts on Prima Materia
Prime Materia in a nutshell
In any other faction, Prima Materia would be described as a "warjack theme". In Crucible Guard however, a more appropriate description would be "armoured company theme". This is due to the ability to take up to three Railless Interceptors under Mackay, a list few could rightly call "warjack themed".
This theme force represents the highest level of Crucible technology - secrets that they would not share with other mercenaries or factions, keeping the best for themselves. This concept is shown by the lack of Mercenary options you commonly see in theme forces (note that stand out mercenaries Gorman & Hutchuk can still be included).
Low model count
With most of your points spent on warjacks, and few units available, it can leave you with a small force that makes it difficult to score scenario zones.
If your opponent can land a few critical debuffs and stop even a few models from participating meaningfully, it can completely kneecap your army.
Also, with fewer models you potentially have fewer attacks, making it harder to deal with infantry swarms or anything else that needs you to roll a lot of dice. You can offset by having "high value" attacks - rather than hinging your strategy on lots of attacks at low MAT/RAT you have fewer attacks with good MAT/RAT.
List Building Tips
Generally, Prima Materia lists start with a couple of heavies and a pair of Vanguards. Once there however, Prima Materia can really go in any direction you want.
- Prospero: Of special note here is Guard's junior. He does so much to help ALL the jacks in the army (Veteran Leader & Instability Equation both target friendly warjacks, not battlegroup), it would be foolish to not at least consider him in a list running multiple heavies.
- Mackay: Prima Materia is Mackay's preferred theme. She comes with spells that help warjacks and synergises with the Railless Interceptor. She really likes double-Shield Giard Vanguards, and generally prefers smaller model count armies (to reduce the effect of self-jam). Beyond the standard double-heavy, double-Vanguard, Mackay doesn't automatically push for any specific option. She likes running with other huge bases (especially a Vulcan under Prospero). She likes having lots of heavies which can do work. She likes having an Ambushing solo.
- Locke: The other Crucible Guard caster who immediately prefers Prima Materia. Locke is a heavy battlegroup caster (or perhaps more accurately heavies battlegroup caster), and she wants to have at least four jacks who can make use of Road to War & Jackhammer (one jack per turn). Your first two Vanguards should not be considered in this four, as they stand a good chance of getting crippled by enemy shooting. Locke really likes a Railless, to act both as a highly mobile way (thanks to Road to War) to contest zones & jam enemy units, but also as a potent screening tool for otherwise soft Guard heavies. All the heavies are amazing with Locke; she runs a five heavy list very effectively.
- Lukas di Morray might not seem like an obvious choice, but any Dragon's Breath Rocket batteries will benefit greatly from his debuffs.
- Released with the launch of the CG Faction, 2018.06
- In Alchemy, Prima Materia is the "first material", the secret essence that underpins reality and it is required for all alchemical processes.
Other CG models
|Crucible Guard Index (Edit)|
|Battlegroup & Similar|
|Warcaster attachments||Aurum Legate Alyce Marc (Crucible) - Sylys Wyshnalyrr (Mercenary) - Madelyn Corbeau (Mercenary)|
|Other Warjack Controllers||Prospero (BGC)|
|Light||Liberator - Retaliator - Vanguard|
|Heavy||Suppresor - Toro - Vindicator|
|Units, Solos, Battle Engines, & Structures|
|Units|| Infantry - Assault Troopers - Combat Alchemists - Dragon's Breath Rocket - Rocketmen - Shock Troopers - |
Ranking Officer : Doctor Alejandro Mosby
|Battle Engines||Railless Interceptor|
|Magnum Opus - Prima Materia|
|Refer to Who Works for Whom and/or Category: Crucible Guard Mercenary|
|This index was last updated: 2019.12|
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]