Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
| Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor |
How usable this model is in Mk IV depends on the Faction:
You can view the Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Once a senior member of Cygnar's infamous Inquisition, Orin Midwinter has come out of hiding to reclaim his place of power as the noose closes around the country that hunted him. Specialized in hunting spell-casters, Midwinter uses his arcane energy to draw power from enemy wizards, suppress their magic, or simply strike them down with arcs of lightning.
Lore Video 
|Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor|
- Mercenary - Orin will work for Cryx, Infernals, Khador, or Protectorate.
- Minion - Orin will work for Skorne.
- Partisan [ Infernals ] - When included in a Infernals army, this model/unit is a Infernals model/unit instead of a Mercenary model/unit.
- Arcane Vortex - This model can immediately negate any spell that targets it or a model within 3" of it by spending 1 power token. The negated spell does not take effect, but its COST remains spent.
- Inquisitor's Talisman - This model begins the game with three power tokens. During its activation, this model can spend power tokens to make additional melee attacks or to boost attack or damage rolls. It can make one additional attack or boost one roll for each token spent.
- Magic Ability [ 7 ] - This model can cast spells. Normally this uses up the model's Combat Action and as such is limited to one spell per activation, but exceptions do exist.
- Marked Soul - This model is a Marked Soul.
| Chain Lightning
|(★ Attack)||10||-||10 (Electric)||-||Yes|
|A model hit by Chain Lightning suffers a POW 10 electrical damage roll, and lightning arcs from that model to d3 consecutive additional models. The lightning arcs to the nearest model it has not already arced to within 4" of the last model it arced to, ignoring this model. Each model the lightning arcs to suffers a POW 10 electrical damage roll. Lightning arc damage rolls are not considered to have been caused by an attack. Chain Lightning damage rolls are simultaneous.|
|This model gains stealth for one round.|
- Other Factions
- Mercenary/Minion models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
Thoughts on Orin1
Orin1 in a nutshell
Orin is a well priced, multi-purpose solo who brings a lot of utility on board for his points. He can clear infantries and support pieces with Chain Lightning, unless said models are presented with a lot of ARM. His attack is magical to boot with a 2" reach. On top of this he comes pre-equipped with three Arcane Vortexes in his pocket that will stop your opponent from getting any ideas about debuffing your precious stuff. He often finds his way into Khador lists to cover the above mentioned weak points of the faction.
Combos & Synergies
- He usually stands near a colossal, warcaster or a battle engine brandishing his No-Magic button.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Not super useful against high ARM, but boosted POW 10's occasionally help out.
- Orin can't negate CTRL spells, or those which aren't target a model nearby (like spells that work in a CTRL area, or sprays that target a model outside his 3" bubble)
- If the enemy has strong offensive spells, he becomes a priority target.
- Standing within 3" of (usually low DEF) models you want to defend from spells is often a danger zone for electro leaps, slams, sprays, and other threats.
Tricks & Tips
- One power token left is generally enough to convince the enemy not to sling spells near Midwinter.
- After the third turn, he's usually ok to go spend tokens killing things
- Save damage boosts for squishy solos.
- Read the clarifications for Arcane Vortex.
- To hit high DEF targets like Eiryss, Angel of Retribution run one of your infantry to within 4" of her and chain lightning it in the back (you shoudn't need to boost here unless you're using Nyss). You'll always get one arc off - which means you flash-fry Eiryss if she's nearest (and this is worth spending a damage token on).
- Every once in awhile, you may use his power tokens to buy and boost melee attacks. Don't forget this is allowed.
- Released in Warmachine: Legends (2008)
- There's an official short story, The Mind Beneath by Doug Seacat 2019.06, starring Orin and some of his struggles vs the Infernals.
- This model has a limited edition sculpt, released in 2019.06.
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
- Disciples of Agony. There is no limit to the number of Minion solos you can take in this theme.
- The Exalted
- Masters of War
- Winds of Death
Other Faction models
|Minion Index (Edit)|
|Units, Solos, & Battle Engines|
|Warlock attachments||Targ - Gatorman Soul Slave|
|Solos||Farrow||Agata, Queen of Carnage - Farrow Sapper - Maximus - Rorsh & Brine - Targ|
Barnabas0 - Bog Trog Mist Speaker - Bog Trog Trawler - Bone Shrine - Croak Hunter - Flugwug the Filcher - Gatorman Husk - Gatorman Soul Slave - Gatorman Witch Doctor - Kwaak Slickspine & Gub - Longchops - Underchief Mire - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
Alten Ashley - Boomhowler2 - Boomhowler3 - Brun Cragback & Lug - Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath - Death Archon - Dhunian Archon - Efaarit Scout - Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - Feralgeist - Flubbin1 - Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 - Flugwug the Filcher - Gobber Tinker - Gremlin Swarm - Gubbin1 - Gubbin2 & Dez2 - Gudrun1 - Gudrun2 - Hermit of Henge Hold - Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - J.A.I.M.s - Kogan the Exile - Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - Ledfoot & Tredz - Malvin2 - Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - Ogrun Bokur - Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger - Primal Archon - Pyg Tank - Saxon Orrik - Scythe - Swamp Gobber Chef - Swamp Gobber River Raiders - Thamarite Advocate - The Wastelander - Thrullg - Totem Hunter - Tubbin - Viktor Pendrake - Void Archon - Weird Wendell
|Battle Engines||Meat Thresher (Farrow) - Sacral Vault (Gatorman)|
|Independent Warjack||Malvin1 & Mayhem1|
|Minion - Theme Forces|
|Minion Faction Themes (Edit)||The Blindwater Congregation - The Thornfall Alliance - Vengeance of Dhunia - Will Work for Food|
|Unlimited Minions themes(Edit)||Disciples of Agony (Skorne) - Oracles of Annihilation (Legion) - Secret Masters (Circle)|
|This index was last updated: 2021.11|
|Infernal Index (Edit)|
|Unique Rules : Masters, Horrors, Essence, & Summoning|
|Infernal Masters||Agathon - Omodamos - Zaateroth|
|Attachment (1)||Lord Roget d'Vyaros|
|Master Infernalist||Princess Regna|
|Lesser||Foreboder||Heavy||Desolator - Soul Stalker - Tormentor|
|Light||Lamenter - Shrieker||Colossal||Guardian of Souls - Harvester of Souls|
|Units, Solos, & Structures|
Eilish1 - Eilish2 - Great Princess Regna Gravnoy (Master Infernalist) - Hermit of Henge Hold - Lord Roget d'Vyaros (Attachment) - Lynda the Forgotten - Nicia2 - Orin1 - Saxon Orrik - Runewood2 - The Wretch - Umbral Guardian - Valin Hauke, The Fallen Knight
|Dark Legacy - Hearts of Darkness||J.A.I.M.s|
This index was last updated: 2021.07
(1) - Note that an Infernal Master Attachment is not part of the battlegroup, they are merely listed there for convenience.
|* The "Damage Type: Magical" is not inherited by "secondary" damage from a weapon. That is, stuff like arcs (Electro Leap) or hazards (Scather). (Infernal Ruling)