|We have 1356 articles and 93% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Night Troll |
Blinded by generations in subterranean lairs, night trolls rely on other senses to stalk their prey under cover of darkness. When trollkin warlocks impel them to venture out into the daylight they can become lethal allies. Even enemies fortunate enough to survive an encounter with one of these terrifying creatures are forever haunted by the memory of it hypnotizing their comrades and tearing them apart with venomous, paralyzing claws.
Warbeast - All warbeasts share a huge stack of special rules. The short version is they're big, furious, and beat stuff up pretty good. Click here for a newbie-friendly recap, or click here for the full rules.
- Eyeless Sight
- Man-Eater - This model can charge living warrior models without being forced.
- Regeneration [d3] - This model can be forced to remove d3 damage points once per activation. This model cannot use Regeneration during an activation it runs.
|Wicked Claw (x2)|
| Hypnotic Gaze
|For one round, enemy models that begin their activation within 3˝ of this model and in its LOS can advance only toward this model.|
2020.11 Vengeance of Dhunia CID
Thoughts on Night Troll
Night Troll in a nutshell
The Night Troll is currently the joint cheapest troll light warbeast, (alongside the Troll Basher) it looks cool, and is the only Trollblood model with Stealth. Often regarded as a meta dependent warbeast, due to low damage output and low threat range. It does sport 3 initial melee attacks and paralyse for its living targets. So it has the potential to be a assassin, with little fury investment needed, but it does needs a caster with a speed boost as most infantry will be in charge range before it can sneak up on them.
Defensively the Night Troll is the easiest Troll beast to kill in melee (or at range if your opponent can mitigate stealth). However with the Krielstone in faction and being so cheap you may not even notice it’s -1 armour over its brothers. This makes its animus that locks people in melee strange (as it needs to survive to keep the effect going on other models) however it is still a useful animus as a disruption tool that forces your opponents order of activation; as you shouldn’t really be casting it unless you are playing in Power of Dhunia or can catch multiple models in the effect.
Combos & Synergies
- The Krielstone - If you want to lock models in with your animus you need to be as durable as possible.
- Rok - As the cheapest trollblood warbeast with 3 initial attacks it is a great target for a fire and forget Primal.
- Borka2 - Counter charge paralysis is a useful combo, Man Eater also reduces the strain on his fury pool if this model is solo hunting. Also benefits from the Northkin UA helping to improve his threat range
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Ledfoot & Tredz, Boomhowler3 and the Troll Axer give it the speed buffs it needs to engage.
- With a damage buff from a Pyre Troll or Slag Troll it starts to hit above its weight class with its three initials.
- Doomshaper2 loves Dire Trolls, but a cheap bullet with 3 initials and overtake works as a harassing piece.
- Ragnor - Weight of stone and paralysis will really screw with anything living. Add in the feat and your denial elements are improved.
- Helga2 - On Feat, Highway to Hell, the Night Troll can be pushed further in by making a full advance into enemy lines. Coupled with making the night Troll cavalry (so boosted charge attack rolls) and with a +2 speed boost from Escort, Helga offers everything the night Troll needs.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- It doesn't hurt heavies & will struggle vs lights
- It has a short threat range of 9inch makes it hard to get the jump on warriors.
- It doesn't worry high DEF infantry.
- If you want something hard to kill for the cost get a Troll Bouncer.
Tricks & Tips
- Reasons to use Hypnotic Gaze:
- Disrupt opponents activation and force targeting of Night Troll.
- Expose enemy back arcs.
- If all goes well and you positioned correctly generate free strikes by forcing models to move toward Night Troll.
- Be aware that Hypnotic Gaze only effects models who start their activation within 3 of the night trolls front arc, this means spells and effects like banish, befuddle and telekinesis can really limit its effectiveness.
- With 2 initials + 3 boughts, with a 1" reach, he can clear infantry over a large area.
Released in Hordes: Gargantuans (2013)
Other Trollblood models
|See also the Warbeast page for a recap of the core warbeast rules.