Theme - Masters of War
| Theme - Masters of War |
Conflict is to be savored, for battle is the only true chance to prove one’s devotion to the hoksune code. Though the martial orders of Cataphracts and Praetorians disagree on which best exemplifies the martial code of the skorne, they equally embrace the opportunity to demonstrate their adherence to it. Acting on the orders of their tyrants, these disciplined warriors grab the enemy army by its throat and do not relent until the foe is vanquished or they have been claimed by the Void.
- 1 Theme Rules
- 2 Thoughts on Masters of War
- 3 Casters Thoughts
- 4 Other
An army made use the Masters of War theme force can include only the following Skorne models:
- Skorne warlocks
- Non-character warbeasts
- Molik Karn
- Cataphract models/units
- Praetorian models/units
- Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer units
- Extoller solos
- Paingiver Beast Handlers units
- Mortitheurge Willbreaker solos
- Ancestral Guardian solos
- Supreme Guardian battle engine
- This army can also include up to one Minion solo and one Minion unit that will work for Skorne.
Full Model List
This list was last updated: 2019.07 (Edit)
- All Skorne warlocks
- All non-character Skorne warbeasts,
- Molik Karn
- Other character warbeasts can be taken, but only if they're in their bonded model's battlegroup.
- Cataphract Cetrati
- Cataphract Incindiarii
- Cataphract Arcuarii
- Legends of Halaak
- Paingiver Beast Handlers
- Praetorian Ferox
- Praetorian Karax
- Praetorian Swordsmen
- Praetorian Keltarii
- Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer
- Extoller Soulward
- Aptimus Marketh
- Extoller Novititate
- Immortal Vessel
- Mortitheurge Willbreaker
- Tyrant Rhadeim
- Tyrant Zaadesh
- Ancestral Guardian
- Hakaar the Destroyer
- Up to one solo
- Up to one unit
You can spend each Requisition Point on either:
- One Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer unit
- One Skorne command attachment
- Three Extoller Novititate solos
- Two Extoller Soulward solos
- One other small or medium based Skorne solo
- Skorne warrior models gain "optional Take Down".
2019.07 Theme Remix
- Game-wide Remix changes
- Gained Molik Karn
- Lost +1 to starting roll, and it was replaced with nothing
Thoughts on Masters of War
Masters of War in a Nutshell
This is an incredibly flexible list, and can be played as anything from a cataphract-and-minion gunline to the (more common) melee infantry mob; you can even spend 32 points on Battle Engines and connect a line of Cetrati between them for a low model count brick-like army.
With all the Remove From Play effects it's an excellent counter to the notorious Cryx Ghost Fleet or various other recursion effects.
A quick note on sportsmanship. Though your warriors' attacks can RFP a model, it is not the same as having RFP on them all the time. In the spirit of fair play always inform your opponent whether or not you'll use the RFP feature. If you miss that, they can assume that the model was destroyed and not removed from play, causing a whole lot of confusion (soul collecting, eligibility for revival, etc). You might not always want to RFP a model, since this prevents certain effects from happening. One example is creating a Void Spirit when an enemy model dies within 5" of Despoiler under Void Seer Mordikaar.
Frankly this list is spoiled for choice - it's entirely possible to go in with no single wound models other than Paingiver Beast Handlers (or on rare occasions not even then) and a wall of Cataphract Cetrati between two Supreme Guardians as your backbone - or to flood the battlefield with Praetorian Swordsmen. About the only thing it can't do is single wound shooting models although Cataphract Arcuarii and Cataphract Incindiarii can shoot.
List Building Tips
This is far too flexible a theme force to have anything like a standard build (unlike e.g. The Exalted). Supreme Archdomina Makeda alone has effective lists ranging from two maximum units of Praetorian Ferox, Tyrant Rhadeim, a maximum unit of Cataphract Cetrati and two TyComs and Vorkesh for free to five maximum units of Praetorian Swordsmen all with Command Attachments, Vengeance, and protected by her Deflection. And the nostalgic will be bringing out the Fist of Halaak and playing Tyrant Xerxis with a huge mess of Cataphracts.
Still, some units stand out.
- Paingiver Beast Handlers are ubiquitous for a reason, although are in this case competing against the Extoller Novititate especially as you get three of the latter for free.
- Praetorian Ferox love the extra 2" leaping range from the Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer and are generally flexible and agile.
- Cataphract Cetrati get the newly upgraded Vorkesh for free.
- Praetorian Swordsmen are some of the best glass cannon melee infantry in the game. The problem is delivery.
- The Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer only gives Pathfinder to Praetorian Keltarii and less than that to the Legends of Halaak and the Praetorian Swordsmen - all other units have reasons to want to walk. (It's probably a better choice for Praetorian Karax than the UA is).
- The Supreme Guardian is a scary-good battle engine that plays soul games and protects you from spellcasting while wrecking face. Free Novititates are a nice complement to it, especially if you are going for a small and ranged battle group.
Free Stuff - Hakaar the Destroyer, the Tyrant Commander and Tyrant Vorkesh (the Cetrati UA) are six points each, as are the two Extoller Soulwards and three Extoller Novitiatates. Ancestral Guardians and Aptimus Marketh are five points each, and the Praetorian and Karax UAs, and Tyrant Zaadesh are all four points.
Starting a 25 Point force
If you want to try out this theme but are still stuck for ideas, try this. It's relatively newbie friendly.
- Minimum unit of Paingiver Beast Handlers 
- Maximum unit of Praetorian Swordsmen plus their CA 
- Aptimus Marketh [Free]
Almost any infantry caster loves this list (even Zaal 2 is occasionally seen here with a pair of Supreme Guardians and more souls than he'd ever get with The Exalted).
- Supreme Archdomina Makeda loves this list to pieces. There are lots of great options for her; a couple are:
- "Makeda 2 Kit-Kat"/Meowkeda (Makeda 2 with two full units of Ferox) was a very popular tournament list even before the theme. This way for each unit of Ferox you get a free TyCom
- Spamming Praetorian Swordsmen to take advantage of Vengeance then using Deflection to prevent them being shot off the board.
- Supreme Aptimus Zaal & Kovaas avoided this list until he could take Ancestral Guardians - but it gives you plenty to fuel his feat - or to sacrifice to Last Stand. And he doesn't mind getting a swarm of infantry boxed.
- Tyrant Xerxis is absolutely great with hordes of infantry, letting them move through each other and hit hard - all of which works superbly with Masters of War. The nostalgic can even put together a classic Fist of Halaak, getting free models rather than cut price Cataphracts.
- Dominar Morghoul & Escorts have been waiting for this list for a long time. It has everything he wants including Aptimus Marketh - although he probably wants Bone Grinders as his minion unit.
- Void Seer Mordikaar gets an entire mountain of souls and models to Essence Blast.
- Archdomina Makeda is a great and flexible warlock and this gives her a collection of extra boosts with things that work well with her.
- Zaal the Ancestral Advocate can play this theme but prefers The Exalted to leverage his feat. That said two Supreme Guardians at ARM 24 can be pretty effective.
Other Skorne models
Rules Clarification: Theme Forces (Edit)
Rerolling the starting roll [Show/Hide]
Warjacks/Warbeasts with bonds [Show/Hide]
Including Mercenaries [Show/Hide]
Number of Mercenaries
Partisans & Theme Forces (Edit)
Mercenaries and Quasi-Partisans
Mercenaries and Ranking Officers
Requisition Points [Show/Hide]
Free models and Specialists (ADR) [Show/Hide]
Unit Attachments [Show/Hide]
When to apply theme benefits [Show/Hide]
Cryx - Black Industries [Show/Hide]
Protectorate - The Creator's Might [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Flame in the Darkness [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - Llaelese Resistance [Show/Hide]
Mercenary - The Talion Charter [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Bones of Orboros [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Devourer's Host [Show/Hide]
Circle - The Wild Hunt [Show/Hide]
Skorne - The Exalted [Show/Hide]
Trollblood - Band of Heroes [Show/Hide]
Crucible Guard - Magnum Opus [Show/Hide]