|99% of this website is about Mark 3 (mk3), which is the previous edition of the game (2016 to 2022). The reasons for this are explained here.|
1% of the website is about Mark 4 (mk4), but only in regards to which mk3 models are useable in mk4 Prime and which are mk4 Unlimited. See Legacy Armies for more detail.
This model is available in one Prime Army, Talion Charter. It can also be used in the Unlimited game mode. You can view the other Mk3 models that made it into a Legacy Army at this page.
Note that the rest of this page is about the model's Mark III rules.
Dougal has spent a lifetime at sea learning the fine art of naval artillery, defying the odds of accident and combat, and becoming something of a patron saint of gunners. He can land a cannonball on target in even the worst circumstances - a crucial skill when an entire battle can hinge on a single well-placed shot.
|Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
- Artillerist (★ Action) - RNG CMD. Target friendly Faction model gains +2 RAT when making its next AOE ranged attack this turn. If the attack does not directly hit, you can reroll the direction and/or distance of its deviation. Each roll can be rerolled only once as a reasult of Artillerist.
- Double Powder Ration [ Minifeat ] - This model can use Double Powder Ration once per game at any time during its activation. This turn, ranged attacks made by friendly Privateer models while in this model's command range gain +2 RNG. Double Powder Ration lasts for one turn.
- Hit the Deck! - This model cannot be hit by AOEs. If it would be hit by an AOE, it instead becomes knocked down. While this model is knocked down, ranged attacks targeting it auto-miss.
- Spyglass (★ Action) - Target an enemy model in this model's LOS. That model loses Stealth for one round.
- Grenade - 6" range, 3" AOE, POW 12 ranged attack
- Cumbersome - This model cannot attack with this weapon and with another weapon on the same activation.
- Quad-Iron - 10" range, ROF d3+1, POW 10 ranged attack
- Cutlass - 0.5" reach, POW 4, P+S 9 melee attack
- Other Factions
- Mercenary models can be hired by other Factions. Normally those Factions' themes will have a limit on how many models they can hire. Refer to #Other Theme Forces, below.
- Aside from that, there are a few themes that will change what Faction this model counts as (and thus what "friendly Faction only" buffs it can receive). They are:
Thoughts on Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile in a Nutshell
Dougal Macnaile is a ranged support solo who will spend most of his time using Artillerist on a ranged warjack. His Double Powder Ration ability assists with ranged alpha strikes in privateer armies and is his main selling point. Cancelling Stealth is always useful, making him a lot more useful outside the Talion Charter - but there are often other ways to do this.
If you are running a Galleon with Bart in Talion Charter, bring Dougal.
Combos & Synergies
Privateer shooters for double powder ration include
Other good sources of ranged AOEs that appreciate his Artillerist and stealth removal at least:
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Support Bloat - it's easy to use up too many of your army points on support models like this guy.
- If you just want artillerist: Herne & Jonne have your back, if you just want the spy glass, Reinholdt will be better. You take Dougal strictly for the combination of these and the mini feat.
Tricks & Tips
- Artillerist is most useful on turns 1 and possibly 2. After that he can get stuck in with the Quad Iron.
Released in Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
Other Theme Forces
Protectorate of Menoth (Edit)
Crucible Guard (Edit)
Other Mercenary models
| Mercenary Index (Edit)
| Units, Solos, & Battle Engines
| Warcaster attachments
Doctor Stygius -
Madelyn Corbeau -
| Lesser Warlocks
|| Rorsh & Brine (Farrow) - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw (Gatorman)
| Non-character Units
Cephalyx Mind Bender -
Cephalyx Mind Slaver -
Cephalyx Overlords -
High Shields -
Artillery Corps -
Forge Guard -
Idrian Skirmishers -
Kayazy Assassins -
Kayazy Eliminators -
Legion of Lost Souls -
Ogrun Assault Corps -
OoI Resolutes -
OoI Vigilants -
Precursor Knights -
Press Gangers -
Sea Dog Pirates -
Deck Gun -
SH Cannon -
SH Halberdiers -
SH Cavalry -
SH Mortar -
SH Riflemen -
SH Volley Gun -
Tactical Arcanist Corps -
Thorn Gun Mages
Special CA: Cephalyx Dominator (small or medium based units) -
Special WA: Morrowan Battle Priest (Morrow units)
| Character Units
Croe's Cutthroats -
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters -
Blythe & Bull -
Herne & Jonne -
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt -
Lynus & Edrea -
The Commodore Cannon -
The Devil's Shadow Mutineers
| Non-character Solos
Cephalyx Agitator -
Death Archon -
Gobber Tinker -
Menite Archon -
Morrowan Archon -
Ogrun Bokur -
Powder Monkey -
SH Arcanist -
SH Ironhead -
SH Gunner -
Swamp Gobber River Raider
Thamarite Advocate -
Thamarite Archon -
| Character Solos
Alten Ashley -
Anastasia Di Bray -
Balthazar Bamfist -
Black Bella1 -
Black Bella2 -
Bloody Bradigan -
Bosun Grogspar -
Brun Cragback & Lug -
Captain Crawtooth -
Colbie Sterling, Captain of the BRI -
Dahlia Hallyr & Skarath -
Dirty Meg -
Doc Killingsworth -
Doctor Stygius -
First Mate Hawk -
Flubbin2 & Dreyfus2 -
Flugwug the Filcher -
Glyn Cormier, Illuminated One -
Grand Master Gabriel Throne -
Harlan Versh, Illuminated One -
Harlowe Holdemhigh -
Hermit of Henge Hold -
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter -
Kell Bailoch -
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress -
Lord Rockbottom -
Major Harrison Gibbs -
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile -
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor -
Princess Delores Graciela -
Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger -
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord -
Rorsh & Brine -
Rutger Shaw, Professional Adventurer -
Savio Montero Acosta -
Saxon Orrik -
Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye -
Stannis Brocker -
Taryn Di La Rovissi, Llaelese Gun Mage -
Thor Steinhammer -
Underboss Vizkoya -
Viktor Pendrake -
Weird Wendell -
Wrong Eye & Snapjaw
| Battle Engines
Hammerfall Siege Crawler -
| Independent Warjack
Malvin1 & Mayhem1
| Theme Forces (Edit)
| Flame in the Darkness - Hammer Strike - Llaelese Resistance - Operating Theater - Soldiers of Fortune - Strange Bedfellows - The Irregulars - The Kingmaker's Army - The Talion Charter
|This index was last updated: 2021.11
Rules Clarification : Double Powder Ration (Edit)
Restrictions on "Any Time" abilities
- "Any Time" abilities can be used at any time during a model/unit's activation, except:
- Before any compulsory forfeiture of movement/action. See step 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- After the model with the "Any Time" ability has had their activation end "prematurely". By this I mean you resolved something which includes the phrase "its activation ends". Examples include:
- Running, failing a charge, or failing a slam.
- Abilities that include "then its activation ends" (such as Reposition and Teleport).
- In between declaring your charge target and making your charge movement. (Infernal Ruling)
- In between completing your charge movement and determining whether it was a successful charge. (Infernal Ruling)
- When you're in the middle of moving. (Note: Impact Attacks count as being in the middle of movement).
- When you're in the middle of an attack. Which also includes effects that occur "after the attack is resolved".
(Although the attack is "resolved" at Step 11, in terms of using an "Any Time" ability the attack is not "finished" until after Step 14. Refer to the first paragraph of Apdx A.)
- Your opponent interrupted your activation to trigger one of their own abilities (such as Countercharge).
- Warcasters/warlocks/etc can normally cast a spell or use their feat "At any time". However, there is a core rule saying they cannot do so on the same activation that they run. So, they are subject to all the same restrictions listed above, plus they can't cast/feat before running.
- Units: See below.
- In general you can use "Any Time" abilities while you're knocked down or stationary (except Spells and Feats which specify you can't).
- If you have a gun with a random ROF, you can use an "Any Time" ability inbetween rolling the number of shots and actually making the first attack. (Infernal Ruling)
- Units with "Any Time" abilities
- You cannot use an "Any Time" ability before issuing/receiving orders. See step 1 and 2 of the activation sequence, appendix A.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after they run (Infernal Ruling) or fail a charge. Because that makes that specific model's activation to end even though the unit's activation is still ongoing, and you can't use abilities on models that are not active.
- You can use an "Any Time" ability before running, however.
- A model in a unit can't use an "Any Time" ability after anyone in the unit has begun a Reposition move. (Infernal Ruling)
Rules Clarification : Tough - None yet. (Edit)
Rules Clarification : Artillerist and/or Lucky Shot and/or Spotter (Edit)
- This ability doesn't work on weapons with AOE (★) weapons (such as Old Witch2). (Infernal Ruling)
- Roll both direction and distance before choosing which you want to reroll (if any), then reroll those.
- This means that if you choose to re-roll only one die, and after re-rolling that one die you now want to re-roll the other die ... too bad.
- (Mk2 2010 Infernal Ruling) which Dark Legacy confirmed in 2021 via Facebook (which I won't link to)
- If you have two rerolls, you repeat the above process twice. Roll, choose which to re-roll (if any). If you still don't like the result, choose which ones to re-roll a second time. You can even change which one you re-roll.
- Again, confirmed via Facebook (which I won't link to)
Rules Clarification : Hit the Deck! (Edit)
- This model cannot be hit by any type of AOE (ranged AOE, magic AOE, or the very rare Point-Blank melee AOE). However the "auto-miss when knocked down" part only applies to ranged attacks.
- While knocked down, non-AOE ranged attacks can target someone near this model and still hit it.
- This model cannot be directly hit by an AOE, and it cannot be hit with blasts from an AOE.
- It also cannot be hit by AOEs that are "spawned" from non-AOE weapons (such as Vortex Blast or Hellmouth).
- However Hit the Deck is ignored by AOEs that skip "hitting" models and instead skip straight to damage (such as Krueger1's feat) or skip straight to applying debuffs (such as Burning Flames).
Rules Clarification : Spyglass and/or Periscope (Edit)
- This ability essentially has infinite range.
- Lose vs Gain (Edit)
- Enemy models can still regain Stealth after you use this spell/ability. It lacks the "and cannot regain it" clause. (Locked thread)
- (In comparison, see Marked for Death which does prevent models regaining stuff.)
Rules Clarification : Cumbersome - None yet. (Edit)