|We have 1265 articles and 88% are complete!||Please help review these models from 12+ months ago: (and/or the rest)||(Edit)|
| Mariner |
The Mariner was designed to endure uncertain footing fighting ship-to-ship, a skill just as formidable on dry land. Giving up some armour to move quickly and proving nearly impossible to knock down, the Mariner carries a liberated ship cannon in one hand and a brutal barnacle-encrusted anchor in the other.
- Warjack - All warjacks share the same set of special rules. Most notably being big and stompy. Click the link for a full run-down.
- Lash - This model, and friendly warrior models B2B with it cannot be knocked down.
- Ship Gun - 15" range, 4" AOE, POW 14 ranged weapon
- Loader - The Mariner must be within 1" of a friendly faction warrior model to make attacks with this weapon.
- Anchor - 2" reach, POW 6, P+S 17 melee weapon
- Thresher (★ Attack) - This model makes one melee attack with this weapon against each model in its LOS that is in this weapon's melee range. Thresher attacks are simultaneous.
- Flame in the Darkness. It can be "shared" by Cygnar or Khador models in this theme.
- Llaelese Resistance
- Operating Theater (only if you use a Cephalyx Dominator on a 'Jack Marshal unit)
- Soldiers of Fortune
- The Irregulars. If it's 'Jack Marshalled, it gains Flank [Warrior model] in this theme.
- The Kingmaker's Army
- The Talion Charter
- Other Factions
- Flame in the Darkness as described above.
- Hearts of Darkness. It can only go in this theme if Crosse2 is leading the army. It becomes an Infernal model and gains Accumulator [Soulless].
- There are dozens of other Faction's themes it can go in if it is under the control of a Mercenary 'Jack Marshal or "Junior Warcaster" that works for that other Faction. Omitted for brevity.
2019.05 Talion Dynamic Update
- +1 ARM, +1 RNG on the anchor chain, and 4" AOE on the gun (previously 3")
Thoughts on Mariner
Mariner in a nutshell
On sheer versatility and value, the case can be made that the Mariner is the finest non-character heavy warjack in the game. A boostable POW 14 shot with 15" range is stellar. Boostable 4" AoEs are great. POW 17 is respectable on the anchor. 2" melee with Thresher is tremendous. All for 14 points. It excels at nothing but is so versatile and contributes every turn that you can never go wrong bringing one or several. You will almost never have a turn pass where it isn't helping you in sone way.
Combos & Synergies
- It becomes quite the assassination piece with Captain Phinneus Shae threatening 27" on his feat turn with Dougal and Coup de Main.
- Fiona the Black gives it a lot of benefit from her feat.
- Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile can give it a better chance to hit (with a re-roll on deviation), and a bit more range. He also can't be hit by any blasts that target the Mariner, and won't be knocked down when his Hit the Deck rule triggers. He's designed to be the loader in case that wasn't immediately apparent.
- Magnus the Traitor and General Ossrum can cast Snipe to give it a formidable 19" range.
- You could do worse than to run one on Gastone Crosse.
- The Powder Monkey gives it an extra shot in the Talion Charter - an excellent combination.
- Rahera uses the Mariner's excellent range with her Rough Seas and Escort spells to swing threat ranges in her favor.
Drawbacks & Downsides
- Other than the nuisance of the Loader rule, the only real drawback is that it isn't great at anything. Instead, it's good at most tasks at a low price. It's got a decent gun, a decently hard hitting melee weapon, a 2" thresher to take out infantry and a 4" AoE. It's certainly a jack of all trades.
- The anchor does not have Chain Weapon despite having a chain. It swings it like an axe instead.
Tricks & Tips
- The Mariner has one major bonus in that B2B models cannot be knocked down, this has a natural synergy with the Loader rule.
- If the Mariner is slammed over a friendly warrior model, Lash will prevent that model from being knocked down when impacted, assuming it survives.
- If your opponent takes control of the Mariner it will not be able to shoot unless your opponent provides one of his own warrior models as a loader.
- Like almost all ranged jacks it hits harder in melee than at range. You just get a couple of shots in while the armies close (frequently vapourising solos).
- Released in Forces of Warmachine: Pirates of the Broken Coast (2007)
- Shares a chassis with the Swabber & the Freebooter. However they're sold as separate models.
Who can take this warjack
To include this mercenary warjack in your army, it must be controlled by one of the following warcasters or marshals. Thus, to include this jack you first need to find a controller that works for your army.
|Mercenary 'Jack Controllers (Human) (Edit)|
|Non-Casters||"Junior Warcaster"||Crosse1||'Jack Marshal|
- Note: Other restrictions may apply (such as 'Jack Marshals can't control Colossals).
Other Mercenary models
| Resolving the attack|
Under this heading, the word "Thresher" is used interchangeably for "Flashing Blade" and "Cyclone" too
Flashing Blade only